Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine >

Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine

Minnesota Treadle - my great-grandmother's machine

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 AM

I was considering getting a 3/4 size Davis, but I don't want to get something that takes a really odd and hard to find shuttle. It's easy enough to get Boye made shuttles, plenty of new old stock still out there. But others probably not.

I got "stupid" and bought a set of 40 shuttles from a Boye Display - I've got machines that fit shuttle 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 so I need to find ones that fit 1, 17, 19, 22 and 25. I think 17 will be the hardest to find as there is only one machine that takes that style, but I've seen them come up on eBay occasionally. I don't know why I do this stuff . . . should have stuck to "singer only" LOL!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

Added the link to my favorites. TY
Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 AM

Cathy - which one takes a 17?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I was considering getting a 3/4 size Davis, but I don't want to get something that takes a really odd and hard to find shuttle. It's easy enough to get Boye made shuttles, plenty of new old stock still out there. But others probably not.

I got "stupid" and bought a set of 40 shuttles from a Boye Display - I've got machines that fit shuttle 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15 so I need to find ones that fit 1, 17, 19, 22 and 25. I think 17 will be the hardest to find as there is only one machine that takes that style, but I've seen them come up on eBay occasionally. I don't know why I do this stuff . . . should have stuck to "singer only" LOL!!
The Boye needles and shuttles are a good investment as well as useful. I'd enjoy having all them just for "educational" purposes.

Jon
Old 01-14-2014, 11:58 AM

Jon, that is the main reason i bought them, I wanted to get one of each and figured that was the cheapest way to do it.

When you look at the lists, you can't tell by the number of names if there are actually a lot of machines that take that size. There are mostly names for machines that take the size 13. However as far as I can tell, they are all National made machines - Needlbar says National put something like over 600 different names on thier machines

It's basically (BTW - the skipped numbers are for Needles that go with the machine the shuttle goes with)
1 - Household
3 - New Home made machines (pre Free)
5 - Standard made machines
7 - Domesitc (older) and some others
9 - Davis made machines
11 - White made machines
13 - National made machines
15 - Singer, Free and Domestic (Singer style)
17 - Demorest
19 - New Royal (old style)
22 - early Eldredge and some others I've not figured out
25 - not sure on these ones either.

Boye decided that they could fill most of the need using only these style shuttles. Of course there are going to be others (like the Davis Short) that weren't common enough or around long enough for Boye to make an after market shuttle for them.

When I've got some time, I'm going to really look into the differences in the shuttles - now that I've got a good start on figuring out the back clamp feet.

I think several of the 22/25 are from older companies that either merged and changed, or when out of business pretty early on.