Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!! >

Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!!

Miriam is having a party and EVERYBODY is invited!!!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Are you bringing a sewing machine?
I'll bring my Elna Supermatic.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'll bring my 15-91 for you guys to fix the timing on. I've had the thing 3 years (4?) and took it to my SMG . I asked him to fix the wiring. Guess I should have been really specific--"and make it work." He fixed the wiring. I didn't realize when I took it home that it wouldn't actually sew, so I called him and he said I only asked (and paid) for him to fix the wiring .

You guys could probably have it fixed in a matter of minutes.

I'll bring Maryland steam crabs, some corn on the cob, and some Berger's cookies (a Baltimore-made favorite).
That's just lame. He should have at least called to see if you wanted the rest fixed while it was there.
Went to a home brew class that my wife surprised me with on Saturday. I've decided to contribute some home brew.
A nice stout sounds about right now that the weather's changing.
Rodney
Old 09-07-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
How about a couple of Utah classics - funeral potatoes and green jello with shredded carrots. (I hear tale that the jello classifies as a green salad.) Or maybe French fries with fry sauce. Raise your hand if you're familiar with any of these.
I wish I knew what funeral potatoes were. I feel like I need some. I think I've been shot at and missed but ---- at and hit. Funeral potatoes might do the trick. I was raised on that green jello with carrots stuff. I think I will pass on that! I've got a Civil War Singer and a Featherweight. My expensive Brother is in the hospital after only a year!
Old 09-08-2015, 03:24 AM

Now I have a craving for this Tiger Tail ice cream. That sounds amazing.

We call funeral potatoes: harvest potatoes. We have them on all the holidays.

I'll just bring my 301, it's the only machine I love these days.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:02 AM

How about I bring along some fried taters smothered with home-made green chili?

My wife and I just returned from Espanola New Mexico, where we picked up about 80 pounds of fresh Hatch mild green chili. We got 40 pounds of it roasted yesterday afternoon (Labor Day), but I got too hot working the grill to do the second toe-sack full. (I’m alright, just needed to cool off. It was 103 degrees here yesterday afternoon. We’ll do some more roasting this evening when it cools down a bit.) Plenty of light beer will be my choice of drink.

I guess I’ll bring along my Singer 301-2 Handcrank (the dash-2 means long bed, for the machines made before the “A” was added. The early short beds were dash-1s.). With all of this food and drink at the party, I certainly don’t want to be doing much sewing anyway......

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine261_19.jpg  

Last edited by ThayerRags; 09-08-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Added a photo.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
How about I bring along some fried taters smothered with home-made green chili?

My wife and I just returned from Espanola New Mexico, where we picked up about 80 pounds of fresh Hatch mild green chili. We got 40 pounds of it roasted yesterday afternoon (Labor Day), but I got too hot working the grill to do the second toe-sack full. (I’m alright, just needed to cool off. It was 103 degrees here yesterday afternoon. We’ll do some more roasting this evening when it cools down a bit.) Plenty of light beer will be my choice of drink.

I guess I’ll bring along my Singer 301-2 Handcrank (the dash-2 means long bed, for the machines made before the “A” was added. The early short beds were dash-1s.). With all of this food and drink at the party, I certainly don’t want to be doing much sewing anyway......

CD in Oklahoma
We could have a swell food fight when everybody had eaten enough to satisfy... I already sent a cream pie to Rodney - here is one for you, too!!!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:10 AM

Cathey!
This party sounds like what we old Southerners call a "DO"! I will bring good ole Eastern Carolina BBQ and my grandmother's "special" slaw. This is the one that folks line up at the bowl after church meals asking "What is in that slaw??" Yummy stuff!
Here's her secret (Pennsylvania Dutch) recipe: Shredded cabbage, chopped lightly toasted pecans, salt, 1 t sugar, and SOUR CREAM! When this one shows up at funerals, nothing else matters! I have made it with whole smoked almonds to good results as well.
Oh, yes, about forgot the most important part: Bernina 717 and maybe my rose case Kenmore 1030. Featherweight stays home!
Already having fun just thinking about it!
Kaye
Old 09-08-2015, 08:51 AM

I thought Sewnoma would be here by now to bring the wine. Just to make sure I will go a little bit south and get some too. Tell me what kinds to get though, I do not drink enough to be able to tell. And some olive oil for all that low carb healthy cooking. I can do a pretty good veggie stir fry and only the tofu has to be brought in from further away. Hooray Mediterranean climate. No figs though, they are a good potassium food AND sugary.

I will bring my Kenmores. The 1701 just needs more cleaning and the S M L knob I forget the name of right now needs unsticking but that will be doable. The 1400 stitch length knob needs to be introduced to some proper penetrating oil I think. It looks like a bullet oh I forgot that word too. Bearing? A rod that slides in and out of a collar. And back from there it is all shielded until it disappears into the knob. Nowhere to get a good grip or more oil into it.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I'm so glad everybody came to this party. Seems like I was not the only one at home on a holiday.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:49 AM

Thanks for the pie. That will top off the green chili nicely.

With my 1:1 ratio handcrank, I planned to “take a stitch, eat, & drink”, then “take a stitch, eat, & drink”, then “take a stitch, eat, & drink”, then “nap”. (Repeat until all of the food and drink are consumed).

But, everything will have to wait. I got a call a few minutes ago saying that there is “an early White sewing machine setting outside and behind the house at 417 N. 9th Street. It’s yours for free if you want it, we’re moving and won’t be there today, but will be back in a couple of days to haul everything that remains to the landfill. Take anything else that you want from the pile of things around the sewing machine.”

CD in Oklahoma