more for the Bone pile

Old 11-30-2014, 06:42 AM

I have a "New Brunswick" that has the same size bed.

And in case it's not been mentioned yet, Brunswick was the name Wards used on the machines they sold.

I went and double checked - my Standard "Favorite", Davis "Capital" and National "Duplex" have the same 6.25 width bed. The New Home "Climax" is a bit wider, as are the Singers and Wheeler Wilson. Though my White "Peerless" is a bit smaller, just a bit over 6".
Old 11-30-2014, 06:44 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t129554.html
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 AM

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/foru...uest=155603467
Old 12-11-2014, 02:04 PM

Default more for the Bone pile / 2 weeks later

2 weeks. 6 hour days ( outside) 7 hour nights ( inside out of the rain ) lost sleep blood , finger nails. lucky I don't have a broken jaw.

I know I refinish a good 10 treadles per year, over a lifetime I know for a fact over 150 of these machines. This little thing has been the most confusing yet.

I can only find 2 or 3 pictures of wooden frame Brunswick treadle stand, they all have the same legs, the up portion is different on 2. None have this machine ( Brunswick paveway).

There's no screw or nail holes showing that indicated this stand ever have a 4 drawer cabinet. I'm sure someone in the past has done some repair work to it, only by the fact that nothing was glued, except the pieces on each end that fasten the legs to the top.

The reason it took so much time is This cabinet has to be fastened together with screws, because in order to remove the pedal , The legs have to be removable, Aaaaaaaa , everything else on the cabinet fasten to the legs, so all that had to be removable

it's all period correct flat head screws and the holes done the same as way back when.

top & pitman layed out
I did glue this top together, from the pic's I have seen it was never covered with veneer, The joint work was very tight, yet on the edges where you see the routed comers there's huge gaps showing .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502146[/ATTACH]

The machine hinge hole where fubar, I was able to bore that hole deeper and glue in plugs, still this did not hold the short screws . These are the flat type hinge, where singer used a deep set hinge, The cure was to use a trough bolt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502147[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502155[/ATTACH]

one leg layed out, I did glue these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502156[/ATTACH]

In the past, I have mentioned scratching the wood, which is the way it was done before sandpaper was around.

in today's world this is much faster, cheaper, safer for you. To scratch off the finish , you will use much less sandpaper.

safer, because of the toxic dust coming from who knows what used in the last 100 years, to make the wood look nice. Think Lemon pledge or any other spray can quick fix.

I have made myself very sick from sanding old cabinets, for days after either in bed or feeling like I'm on drugs. It's from the old chemicals used on the wood.

Files, buy those old files you see at yard sales. last count I had around 56 different files, they get used
even on this cabinet, I didn't feel great the next day.[ATTACH=CONFIG]502158[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502157[/ATTACH]

I'm bad about taking photo's while doing this work. I wanted to show what, doesn't get cleaned without taking a machine apart.

This is a VS shuttle arm ( swing arm), center of the arm is it's pivot ( bearing) on the right . You see a round rusty piece with a threaded hole. look between that and the silvery steel. the tapered area is it's cone bearing. That area should be very smooth and shinny

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502159[/ATTACH]

this is the fork / rod that make the swing arm move, The two round things ? lets call a bearing. those move inside the fork at the long flat area, all that should be smooth and shine
you can not do this with out removing the part. The top of this rod is the same deal.

these are the only photo's of the machine apart.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502163[/ATTACH]

So, hack, reused, all most home made , repurposed , steampucked. or a hillbilly makeover.

This is it today..

other than buying this, I haven't spent a penny on it so far. it is borrowing parts from an other machine in order to make it sew. The belt is plastic tubing. which make it very hard to treadle.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502167[/ATTACH]

at the front panel, it may look like a drawer, but it's not. There just isn't enough space behind , when the machine is down.

in the first photo's , you see it didn't have a front , back, or dip pan, I found in other pic's the dip pan would have looked similar to a singer. The curved wooden type.. not having the wood, this was the solution. The fabric, is from the back of a late 1800's couch , which I have saved for a good 40's and used some of it . and this gave me a place to hang a drawer ..

That fabric piece is removable by only using your fingers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502168[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502171[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_0249.jpg   100_0250.jpg   100_0254.jpg   100_0267.jpg   100_0268.jpg  

100_0269.jpg   100_0270.jpg  
Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM

I like what you've done to it. Good job!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post

The cabinet . LOLOL,

It's not a parlor cabinet, maybe this would be called a mission ??? it's so simply built. at this point it looks like the top is missing. one piece of wood on the front and one at the rear and a piece that would have made the bottom. this would have been a cover / box the machine folded into. there was never any type of door on the front. the rear was never fully cover, so far I don't fine any evidence of a support for the top when opened.

I can carry this cabinet with one hand, on my scale it's weight is 18 lbs, the machines weight is 13/14 lbs
WOW!! Why I Never! A portable treadle? I want one!
Old 12-11-2014, 03:25 PM

I don't have a lid for this. but may remake one from another I have. if I can figure out a decent support.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502173[/ATTACH]

this is the fabric piece in front, Dust cover ?. to make the shape. I formed heavy wire. it's still in the making, I think it needs a cardboard backing to hold a arch to the fabric.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502175[/ATTACH]

That metal peg is the end of the wire. There is one at each end, between those is a piece of oak 1/4" x 1/2" with two hole for the wire. above the oak this wire has 90 degree bents to keep the oak piece from sliding up. Then the oak piece is sewn into the fabric. all that holds the wire frame to it's shape.

to install that cover. you just top first and put it between the legs, slide it up. untill the top meets the cabinet top at the front / face. then push the bottom to the light color oak ( dip pan) lift the fabric piece at the peg and drop that in the hole in the dip pan edge. go to the belt end and do the same thing ..

This piece is not just decorative it also reduces the noise from the underside of the machine.

The poor little machine sounds like a rock crusher
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502176[/ATTACH]

The back of the panel, I'm thinking of putting cardboard or a very thick paper cut to shape. slip that under the fabric and sew. hoping this will hold a uniformed arch to the fabric

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502183[/ATTACH]

So 3 week later this is she is. she sews, I need parts for her. like a shuttle, slide plates. top tension. and a real belt.

or

make a lamp , jewelry box. butt .. that just sounds like 2 much work
Attached Thumbnails 100_0270.jpg   100_0274.jpg   100_0275.jpg   100_0276.jpg  
Old 12-11-2014, 03:27 PM

I should have added....you have done a fabulous job on this little machine and it looks awesome.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:47 PM

ya no . the first photo is the one on C/L. see what was there. my thought what " what the hay" 20 bucks why not just see , what I could come up with only using whats laying around home. worst case I have teh metal parts for a wooden treadle stand.

about teh time I had the rear and face pieces make macybaby posted a pic of her new treadle, which is a small wooden cabinet. so I knew this style was made at some point in time. I still have no idea if this isn't a cut down 4 drawer, but there is no signs of it ever being that.

cogtio, the cabinet weight has increased quite a bit. The wood I added is either oak or walnut ( heavy wood ) just guessing I'd say it's now 25 lbs, still easy to carry, even with the machine installed.

Cd, not sure if you have seen the photo's but I do have afew like what you have done. iron frame with oak tops. The mini industrial look

I swear this is the last one I will do, after I get the other 3 done. (mini treadles) LOLOL.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Great job on that treadle! It looked really poor when you brought it home.
Rodney