Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Back is begging me to buy one of these >

My Back is begging me to buy one of these

My Back is begging me to buy one of these

Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the good info, I will keep these in mind. Hopefully I would never have to raise it higher up than table height or my truck bed height so that should keep it pretty stable.

Did you say practice a little more first? Ya mean I have to go out and buy some more machines to practice with, wouldn't want to tip over with any of keepers. Okie Dokie...LOL
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 PM

I'd try yoga first. Seriously.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:56 AM

Seriously, No thanks. I am 59, with a severely torn right shoulder rotator cuff and several damaged pinch nerves in my lower back, probably from a bad horse wreck I had 20 years ago, and if I turn and bend just right way they pinch up and I am down for awhile. Hubby has severe osteoarthritis and his Chiropractor has limited him to 35 pounds max. We actually do like our Ballet and Callanectic stretches. They are much more difficult than they look.

I know you were trying to help. Thank you
Old 11-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

That looks very convient...
Old 11-02-2013, 04:46 PM

I meant no disrespect with my super over simplified suggestion. On a side note:
I forget that many American's have a tuff time with health care and access to services. I just got back from a Provincial government run sport conference/forum and had a very interesting time talking with the Yoga Association of Alberta ED. She is an expert with modified yoga for seniors in her community. I found her insights to the improvements she saw with her participants inspiring. Ie: 80 year old farm wife who was strong, but extremely stiff from years of farm and house work (she couldn't touch her knees with her fingers) She is now able to touch her toes after a year of practice. I myself have serious chronic pain in my knees, shoulders and lower back from competitive freestyle snowboarding. I found that slow and modified yoga poses that were healing and restorative in nature were the only thing that took the pain away. The trick with Yoga is, you have to keep doing it to maintain the benefits. But once you start on that journey, the changes that take place are like magic. It truly is the fountain of youth. But, I understand that its not for everyone, just wish everyone had access to good facilities to try out different forms of alternative health care.

PS, On topic, I always take the machine head and drawers out of any cabinet or treadle base before I move it. I also try to get someone to help me load it in and out of the car. Those cast iron legs and large cabinets are extremely heavy and as many people here know, its easy to injure yourself lifting the machines themselves if your not careful.
I wish you the best of luck with your health and happiness. Truly I do.