My Big Surprise of the Day!

Old 09-11-2010, 09:31 AM

Does your brother want to adopt me? That's great! I also have a cabinet, but I don't have the machine in it. I use it as an entrance table and usually get a lot of comments.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Sat. Well.....folks, I didn't get to bring the machine and cabinet back today. I did take a couple of pics. and will post later this evening or tomorrow when I can get my DH to help me. The cabinet is literally falling apart it has sat out in the weather for so long. I will have to get a complete new cabinet made for it. but will be able to use the metal frame. There is a machine inside, I didn't take pics. of it, because the cabinet was in such poor shape I was afraid if I raised the machine up to look at it, the bottom might fall out and drop the machine. It is an Elgin. I will go over when DB gets back from Houston to get it. My brother said the neighbor told him the machine had been his grandmothers, so who knows the age. What a crying shame to let such a treasure completely ruin. I almost cried when I saw how it looked. DB said that's how these neighbors take care of everything, such a shame. I saw another piece of good looking furniture they had sitting out to ruin. I may see if they want to sell it a nice buffet cabinet type of furniture. I didn't look that close at it. If they do, I might be able to use the wood from it for the cabinet. But I'm hopeful that I can get a new cabinet made for it, using the base. I think my DH can make me one, if not, I will find someone who can. Anyway, I am going to bring it back home and try to revive the machine anyway. I am not familiar with an Elgin, how about it Billy or anyone else on the board? But I do appreciate my brother's effort and it was so sweet of him to check on it and be able to get it. I will post pics. that I took, didn't get but a couple, because the machine was still at the neighbors. I think my brother felt the same way I did, not to move it but once. Gerbie
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 PM

That is a great story. I lost my brother on Aug 3rd two years ago. He died saving a man from drowning. The man was saved but the undercurrent pulled him under and he didn't make it. Enjoy every minute of your brother. He sounds like a great guy.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:18 PM

When I said it is a great story, I meant that he was looking at the cabinet for you. Sorry the cabinet is in such bad shape. Hopefully you can get it back into shape again. Keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:25 PM

I thought that the pictures might come through here, but I guess not. They did come through in the picture section however. I am new at posting pictures, this is my first time tonight. To view the picture of the cabinet, go to pictures and My Big Surprise of the Day title. Sorry I don't know how to get the pictures where I want them. My daughter has told me I am computer illerate and she is correct. lol
Old 09-12-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy-r
That is a great story. I lost my brother on Aug 3rd two years ago. He died saving a man from drowning. The man was saved but the undercurrent pulled him under and he didn't make it. Enjoy every minute of your brother. He sounds like a great guy.
Kathy so sorry to hear about your brother. I know you have fond memories, and hope that a consolation is that he was helping someone else, which I am sure he did all the time. Prayers are with you my dear.
I have only the 1 brother, we had no other siblings, and he is 3 yrs older than me. Our parents are both gone. We have always been extremely close.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:05 PM

My treadle story: I was killing time till it was time to take my car in for new tires. I noticed a couple of garage sales in my neighborhood (I hate garage sales because I already have lots of "stuff"). I stopped at one and asked the woman if she had any sewing stuff for sale. She had a machine I wasn't interested in so I asked her if she had an old featherweight by any chance. The garage sale across the street had an old machine, she told me. Sure enough, a treadle in good condition, and they only wanted $50 for it. It even works.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Pat and pups
My treadle story: I was killing time till it was time to take my car in for new tires. I noticed a couple of garage sales in my neighborhood (I hate garage sales because I already have lots of "stuff"). I stopped at one and asked the woman if she had any sewing stuff for sale. She had a machine I wasn't interested in so I asked her if she had an old featherweight by any chance. The garage sale across the street had an old machine, she told me. Sure enough, a treadle in good condition, and they only wanted $50 for it. It even works.
Great, I hope it is was much better shape than mine.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM

OMG just looked at pictures who could do that???
Good luck with the restoration.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned

what a wonderful brother. God bless.