Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need To Corral My Sewing Tools >

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Old 11-19-2013, 06:01 AM
sap

I bought a small tote from Home Depot. It has drawers on both ends and the sides open, there are dividers to make different sized areas. Also bought them for the men in the family for Christmas. My brother said "you always know just what I need. I never would have thought of one of these for small parts." Others wanted to know why they weren't on my list too.

Also found a jewelry case with hard carrying handle on top. The top splits open, inside are 2 pull out trays (4 boxes) and then the bottom for larger stuff. I've learned not to travel without them.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:05 AM
sap

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rctPWOh0ME4&feature=youtube_gdata_player would this work? Also turn down your volume before you click.... its a little loud.
this would be great but, $$$$$$$$
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

You need a cabinet on wheels like I have..I bought it at Costco a couple years ago. It was $25. It is on wheels with 10 drawers and will go from place top place. I will post a picture sometime soon.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I use a nice tackle box - go to the Fishing department and check them out. Lots of neat little compartments for small items, and bigger ones for the larger stuff (but not a 3' item). They are perfect for sewing supplies, way better than most sewing boxes and way sturdier too.
I've done this, too. I have a fishing tackle box that is perfect for when I leave the house to sew. It is always packed and ready.

For moving from machine to machine in the sewing room, I use a red plastic tray from the inside of a standard tool box. It's maybe 15 inches long. I have small baskets in there and most things stand up in the baskets. Double-sided tape holds the baskets in place. Everything has a place and I can locate whatever I need immediately. It contains everything from bobbins to attachments, small rulers, stiletto, dental tools (very helpful), a dental mirror (handy for checking to see which way the needle goes), tweezers, and a lot more. The things I use the most are at the front, near me. I keep it to the right of my machine and grab it with my right hand.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have tiny tools in glasses cases. I can slip it into my pocket or it can stick to a magnet on the bench.
Miriam, I like the glass case idea. Getting on that right now. Also, the apron around a large cup I already have wasting time on my desk. Better use will be on my sewing table.

Does anyone have this type? Singer offered one, I am told, called Syskrin (sp). Is it practical? Time permitting, I could make a crude imitation.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 AM

I have two old office organizers, that are on turntables to keep all of my 'tools' handy. As you can see, I have not yet filled the second one since I just got it recently. I found both of them at garage sales and I spent a combined total of $1.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 AM

Well, I think I’ve decided to experiment with making my own sewing tool holder, using things that I have on hand. This tool holder only needs to hold the smaller basic things that I use while I’m sewing on a project, not while I’m servicing machines. I have a large toolbox for those tools. Needles and bobbins are in another box by themselves, and spools and cones of thread are stored elsewhere too. (An over-the-door shoe organizer works great for cones of thread.)

Most of my sewing is on outdoor fabrics (vinyl, Sunbrella, Duck, canvas, leather), so my sewing tool set is a little unusual. I rounded up the smaller tools that I normally like to have close, and a couple that I just want to know for sure where they are (belt pliers & rotary cutter), and it looks like a large coffee can with vinyl pockets around the outside might hold everything and provide room for all of those other things that I’m sure will find their way into it.

I have a large tote-full of vinyl given to me by a lady that picked it up from a purse factory when it closed. There’s plenty of it, and I will even get my choice of color. I’m not sure how I’m going to do the vinyl pockets. At first, I was going to put pockets both inside and out, but I think I’ll just go with outside pockets for the small, somewhat fragile tools in my kit. That should leave plenty of room for my larger tools, and my hand to get them out easily, on the inside of the can.

I’m going to preserve the flat bottom of the can for setting on a surface, but I’m also thinking about using something like the purse hangers that allow a purse to be hung from the edge of a dining table. My can-full of tools will probably weigh about three pounds. Being able to hang it from the edge of my sewing stands may be handy.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails mvc-728f.jpg   mvc-729f.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:38 PM

I got started experimenting with my sewing tool can this morning. I guess I’ll call it a “Coffee Can Corral” for now, unless someone comes up with a better name for it. I’ve decided to use JR, my 1939 Singer 31-15 treadle, and Cope, my 1943 Singer 29K70 treadle for this project. I nickname most of my machines to help my wife know which one that I’m talking about, especially since we have and use duplicates of a few models. She doesn’t pay much attention to model numbers, but she remembers names pretty well. She started the naming of sewing machines with her second machine she calls “Penney” that she bought new in 1990. It’s a JC Penney 7057 and she still uses it when she needs a free arm machine.

JR (Jay-are) got his name because I bought him from a man whose initials are JR in Arlington TX, which is not that far from where JR Ewing & the gang were, and it’s one of my lightest duty industrial machines. Compared to Ol Dirty, my 1944 Singer 111W153, it’s a junior-sized industrial. More on Ol Dirty later. Cope got his nickname when I added a Copenhagen Snuff can lid painted gold to decorate his front inspection cover and add a little more color to him.

The flatbed 31-15 will sew the holster out of vinyl the best, and I’ll use the 29K70 Universal Feed to attach the holster to the coffee can. This morning I made a test-run with both machines. I had thought earlier that I would put the holster pockets in by sewing directly to the can, but I’ve decided against that. With the irregular shape of the can, I was spinning out trying to up and over the ridges. I used a small can and scrap of vinyl for the test, but I will be using a larger can (with even deeper irregularities) for my project. Cope sews the plastic can with ease, although maintaining an even feed and a straight line are hard to do on the rounded can surface.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20131123_01.jpg   20131123_03.jpg   20131123_04.jpg  
Old 01-16-2014, 02:46 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]456899[/ATTACH]
Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I'd post a picture of my fabric wrap with slots sewn into it but my little brother won't let it out of his sight and wants several more. He can unroll it and all the tools are in their little pockets. Rolls it up and ties it with the cord. Fits neatly in a SM drawer or in his case wherever he throws it down.
Remembering this thread, I thought I'd post pictures of a wrap I'm working on. I use tool wraps for my mechanical tools in the shop. One for each type job, plumbing, electrical, auto, woodworking. You get the idea. The sewing tools seem a little delicate for these canvas wraps. I'm a scrounger and my wife discarded a pair of her jeans. Today after just wrapping up my mechanical tools in its wrap, I visioned a cut off leg of the jeans made into a wrap. Hence, the below pictures. Not totally finished yet. Remembering the Ivy League pants of the mid 1950s and keeping with the denim jeans theme, I'm going to use the top part of the jeans as the cincher abound the wrap with an Ivy League belt and buckle in the back. Just wanted to share this. I use these projects as learning experiences and if a useful product comes out of it, so much the better.
Attached Thumbnails img_0291.jpg   img_0292.jpg  

Last edited by Vridar; 01-16-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: post pictures
Old 01-16-2014, 06:26 PM

Go to sears or homedepot or lowes. They have some tool bags that might fit your bill. Just like sewing machines and tools - you can never have enough tool boxes. I've got 3 tool bags of different sizes and 2 metal tool boxes and numerous plastic ones that houses my micro tools , screws, nuts, bolts etc. even with all of these I still need some more tool bags as I can't fit all of my tools still. For some reason they tend to grow (just like our sewing machines).