Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need To Corral My Sewing Tools >

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Need To Corral My Sewing Tools

Old 01-16-2014, 09:07 PM

I purchased a large rolling Craftsman type tool chest. It has the top and drawers and of course all my tools, my bobbins, needles, scissors, rotary cutters and blades---you name it, it is in it. my special thread, some elastic, rulers, walking feet, different types of accessories. And it only cost $79.00. It has the large wheels so it will roll to whereever I want it. My DH has said he is going to go talk to the builder again to see when he can come and help put this addition to my house this spring.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
I purchased a large rolling Craftsman type tool chest.
Amyjo, great idea! I ended up with a rolling medicine cabinet like hospitals and nursing homes use to dispense meds in patient's rooms. My attachments and accessories are becoming numerous enough I'm cleaning it and re-purposing it into my rolling sewing cabinet. Thanks! Like I say, I'm a scrounger.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I’ve never got along with tool roll-ups very well. I’m not sure why, but I have usually ended up removing the tools from the roll-up and putting them into something else loose.

I found out that I’m not all that hot on my coffee can idea either though. I’ve tried using the can (without the pockets around the outside), and find that I scatter everything around here and yon or put them in my pockets instead of putting them back into the can. I’ve switched to a rectangle-shaped Peppermint Bark Tin for the time being that’s 14” x 8” x 2” high that I got in a yardsale somewhere. (It must have been an upscale yardsale, because the original price on the bottom of the tin says $47.95). It makes me feel wealthy keeping my sewing tools in it, but everything just sloshes around in there, so it probably won’t last long. It will keep them cooped up when I’m not using them, but it’s too big to tote around while I’m working on a project.

I’m still looking....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-17-2014, 04:58 PM

I use a bucket, but I do not have that many tools yet.

question. I always hesitate to take oil or grease with me. afraid it will freeze or get too cold. will it
Old 01-17-2014, 07:37 PM

I've gotten used to working at a 6 drawer sewing desk in the back room. That way I can just stick em all in a drawer when I'm done, and fish around to try and find the one I need when the situation comes up. Also have a little tool tote and a tray from a tool box for sprays and cans out in the garage, but I don't go out there now, too cold!
Old 01-17-2014, 11:05 PM

Harbor Freight has a rolling tool bag that I picked up once for half price w/coupon. I actually got it to carry a machine to classes.