Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need Help On White Rotary Treadle Machine >

Need Help On White Rotary Treadle Machine

Need Help On White Rotary Treadle Machine

Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Need Help On White Rotary Treadle Machine

i am in the process of getting a White Rotary Treadle Sewing Machine but have no idea about this machine. what i will be doing or need for it are:

1) new machine to me, so sounds great to work on.
2) is this a forgiving machine, easy fix, less maintenance, durable ? i have not been near a white rotary machine.
3) will i be able to keep it and if i want to can i use the treadle and put in a singer sewing machine? will be it an easy adaptation? meaning if i want to put a singer machine i don't need to cut/add woods in it ?
4) is this a desirable machine that i can keep for myself ?
5) i need a durable (like i don't have any) single stitch machine with treadle. or a singer treadle will be a better one ?

the seller is willing to let go of it for $35. appreciate any inputs as this will be the first white rotary i will be working/using.

thanks a lot,
vic
Attached Thumbnails img_7600.jpeg   img_6614.jpeg   img_5351.jpeg  
Old 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM

Vic, that machine and cabinet are just terrible. The machine will give you nothing but fits. I know because I have one. Give me your address and I will drive down tonight an haul it away for you.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Vic, that machine and cabinet are just terrible. The machine will give you nothing but fits. I know because I have one. Give me your address and I will drive down tonight an haul it away for you.
ha ha ha. sunflowerzz who sure gave me a laugh out there. since you have one, good deal? bad? or do i really let you haul it from me ?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM

For me personally I love the looks and the larger size for quilting or doing large or bulky projects. I have not refurbished mine yet so can't say about how it sews but it the one I have chosen to keep as my one and only treadle machine....so far.

http://www.treadleon.net/sewingmachi...ngtreadle.html
Old 01-10-2014, 04:23 PM

i am in the process of getting a White Rotary Treadle Sewing Machine but have no idea about this machine. what i will be doing or need for it are:

1) new machine to me, so sounds great to work on.
It is.

2) is this a forgiving machine, easy fix, less maintenance, durable ? i have not been near a white rotary machine.
Yes, yes, yes, yes, go ahead and get next to it they don't bite.

3) will i be able to keep it and if i want to can i use the treadle and put in a singer sewing machine? will be it an easy
adaptation? meaning if i want to put a singer machine i don't need to cut/add woods in it ?
Why wouldn't you be able to keep it, is it gonna run away? No, a singer uses different hinge spacing and has different measurements at the base, and the cabinet would need major modification. That cabinet is too good to butcher that way.

4) is this a desirable machine that i can keep for myself ?
Yes, it's desirable, I want it, so you'll have to share it with me.

5) i need a durable (like i don't have any) single stitch machine with treadle. or a singer treadle will be a better one ?
Durable? Heck yes. I've got four or five white made machines and each one will out sew their contemporary Singers.

the seller is willing to let go of it for $35. appreciate any inputs as this will be the first white rotary i will be working/using.
In stead of asking these questions, you should have gone and got it then bragged about what a great machine you got for a steal.

thanks a lot,
You're welcome.

vic
Joe
Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Banned

no, it is a known fact that White Family Rotary machines ONLY work well in the smaller parlor cabinet (like mine) they get very very nervous being installed in those BIG cabinets....... hehe
Old 01-10-2014, 05:57 PM

I couldn't get it after all. Seller told me that there was a buyer ahead of me and will check the machine today. At that price I am 100% that it's a goner. On to the next machine.

thanks for the inputs. Appreciate it.

now I know. Next I will run and get it

as rodney mentioned in another post - timing is everything. i've seen this CL listing for weeks now and now that i inquired or interested, there comes a buyer ahead of me.

Last edited by vmaniqui; 01-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12 PM

Good thing about it. There WILL be other machines. From the reading I've been doing White machines were considered at least equal to if not better than Singers of the same period by their owners. I don't think one would disappoint you.
As much as I would like that 301 I saw realistically I have the touch & sew to get running, a Singer 99K that needs cleaned up and a base built for it and a Brunswick VS machine that I didn't realize I had that needs (at the very least) new wiring and a Monkey Wards machine with a stuck feed dog knob. I've also got 3 quilts ahead of me to make. I've got enough to keep me busy for quite a while without picking up any more machines.
Rodney
Old 01-11-2014, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Good thing about it. There WILL be other machines. From the reading I've been doing White machines were considered at least equal to if not better than Singers of the same period by their owners. I don't think one would disappoint you.
As much as I would like that 301 I saw realistically I have the touch & sew to get running, a Singer 99K that needs cleaned up and a base built for it and a Brunswick VS machine that I didn't realize I had that needs (at the very least) new wiring and a Monkey Wards machine with a stuck feed dog knob. I've also got 3 quilts ahead of me to make. I've got enough to keep me busy for quite a while without picking up any more machines.
Rodney
you're on the spot Rodney. i myself got so many projects to work on that will keep me busy also for the next months or so and yet, what in the world am i thinking looking at new machines to buy. guess once you're hooked you can't unhook. thanks buddy....
Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 AM

I have a White Rotary treadle that I've had several yrs, just not used it until 2 wks ago. Been using it every day to make quilt blks. I love it, runs so quiet and makes a great stitch. Don't let anyone "haul it away" for you!
I am also trying to get a Singer 66 Red Eye running, but it sounds pretty rough and looks very worn. Not near as good as the White. Also going to get a Davis Vertical Feed moved into my house (from garage) and get it going. I think I'm going Amish in my old age!!! It is fun playing with these machines.