"New to me" Singer 319W.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by great white View Post
Possibly adding a Kenmore 158.15000 and a singer 328 to the collection.

Says he'll take 40 bucks for both.....
Apparently the 328s aren't great machines. Not sure why, but I'm sure that given some negativity about it your 319 will outperform it. I've only ever had one Kenmore and it was very good: Quiet and strong.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Apparently the 328s aren't great machines. Not sure why, but I'm sure that given some negativity about it your 319 will outperform it. I've only ever had one Kenmore and it was very good: Quiet and strong.
Dunno. The little bit of reading I've done on the 328 indicates that those that have them like them but they are a little loud and clunky. Otherwise fine pieces of kit. Kind of like an old tractor. I'm OK to have something a bit unusual. Makes it interesting. Some reading indicates some guy named Bill doesn't like them which seems to influence some people. Seems he's an old singer technician or something. I could care less if my sails luff a bit because I'm on a different heading, I cut my own course...its usually more interesting than the popular routes. I often learn more that way too. No offense intended to anyone....

The Kenmore is another unusual machine. Built solid and is in nice shape cosmetically. Presser foot is seized apparently. The motor has a neat little spring preload for the belt from what I can see. Thats kind of neat. Built in Japan machine from what I can find out. Also dug up the owners manual and parts manual on the sears support site. Incredibly, it says most of its parts are still available. Lots discontinued, but most of the moving parts and quite a bit of the cosemetic say available and have prices. It has a nice 50's-60's look and feel to it too. I like that. Like a good old solid classic car.

Both are around mid to late 60's I think.

I'm a bit of an anachronism somethimes: I like having things that are a little bit odd, a little out of place, unusual or not so popular items. Usually had for good prices and usually good conversation pieces. If they're practical and functional so much then better....

Last edited by great white; 01-30-2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:32 PM

Well, from a desk to luggage and now back to a desk.

The sewing desk is in the basement right now and the wood glue is setting up.

An easy day of loafing around type work has it back in one piece again.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Not perfect as I still have some adjusting and fitting to do, but 99% of the reassembly is finished:

Next thing on the list is to repair the damaged veneer. Its mostly small bits so i'll just take a few "grafts" from up inside where they won't be seen. Well, unless you lie on your back and look up underneath with a flashlight that is.

Probably leave one or two small spots just to give it character. I just want to replace the bigger missing pieces of veneer, not remove its impression of age.

Then its strip it all down and refinish the wood. Mostly a light sanding and reapplication of varnish.

Should look good when done.

Then its a matter of deciding where it goes in the house.

Last edited by great white; 02-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:03 PM

what a great story to follow. thank you for sharing your adventure and posting the now "back together" 319W cabinet and all.
karen
Old 02-03-2014, 03:58 PM

Thought about doing the woodworking today but decided to try and employ the old machine a bit.

First, grabbed a dog coat that was ripped on a walk. These are not little accessory dogs we have. The lightest is 65 lbs and the other two are 75 lbs and two just over 100. The coats are several layers of waterproof material with reflective piping and a good layer of insulation underneath. I fire up the 319 and run it through.

Kachunk kachunk kachunk.

No problem says the old girl, is this all you got? Mended the tear like it was nothing more than a t shirt. Very satisfying.

Next, the wife has some Velvety soft micro fiber like couch blankets she curls up under. They're warm and she's always cool since she's skinny, fair skinned and slight. One of the dogs wrapped a nylon bone up in one and started chewing one day. Holes and rips all over. Dog jaws do a good job of destruction.

Without changing tension or presser foot pressure, I flip up the large zig zag lever and set the bight lever to the widest stitch available.

After 5 minutes of stitching, repositioning and back and forth the blanket is mended again. Not the pretties thing in the world due to patches that were just destroyed by said dog jaws, but its now a continuous blanket again. Fine and warm for tossing over your legs on a cold night.

Yep, really liking this 319 so far. Lovely machine. Quiet, strong and just a great quality feel while its running. Solid as a rock, not a single shake or vibration. Not a single thread snag or dropped stitch.

I see lots of things that would have been thrown out before now in line for repairs instead of the landfill.

Yep, this Singer is a keeper. Pretty bonded with it already.

Last edited by great white; 02-03-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:40 PM

Well, hopefully this doesn't stir up a hornet's nest, but here goes all the same:

My spare bobbin carriers showed up today.

I grabbed one and tried a test fit. Yep, works fine in the machine.

Looking at it sitting in the rotary hook assembly, I can't visualize how the bobbins carrier gets damaged (as posted in various forums on the net) when using the 15x1 needles without also damaging the hook assembly. Somehow it does though, as the pictures you can find on the subject show.

But, since I intended to modify a bobbin case anyways (I ordered 3 new ones) I grabbed my dremel and widened the bobbin's slot to a nice oval. Slipping it back in to the hook assembly, I still can't see how the needle hits the case in the spot it's supposed to without damaging the hook assembly. The modified slot is buried deep in the hook and even further away from the needle.

I figure "damn the torpedos" and grab the biggest schmetz 15X1 I can find. It's an 18 and the longest tip to eye one I have in the bunch.

Into the needle bar it goes. At first, it hits the hook assembly when rotating by hand. This makes no sense because the timing is perfect. I set it myself. Another look reveals that the needle is not fully "home" in the needle bar. A quick push to seat it and it clears by a mile.

I rotate the machine by hand with nothing in the hook assembly. Nothing hits. I drop the presser foot on some denim and rotate it again. Still nothing hits. A nice slow rotation by motor also is clear. Then flat out with the motor and the denim. Still a-ok.

I drop a bobbin case in and turn it over by hand. Nothing. Repeat the process with the denim and motor up to flat out. Looks good.

Then and empty bobbin. Yep, good to go.

So I thread it up. Run it by hand on straight stitch. Good to go.

Then the motor. Slow at first. Still good. Stitches look just as good as the 206x13 needles (I ran a stitch with the 206x13 needles on the same piece of denim first to compare).

Then a bonzai run flat out. Great stitches, nothing hits.

Feeling "cocky", I run it though all the zig zag and decorative stitches that are internal to the machine and on the widest setting it has.

All perfect.

As a matter of fact, the larger 15x1 size 18 performs even better than the 206x13 size 16 on the denim. Punchs right through without even a flinch.

Then pull the bobbin out. Everything is good to go. Not hits, no scratches. Just as good as when I dropped it in.

So at this point, I have only one conclusion: My machine works fine with 15X1 needles and stock needle timing.

The stitch quality is at least as good as teh 206x13 needles. I might even say it's better due to being able to use the larger sized needles. Either way, the quality is the same or better.

I will probably modify my remaining new bobbins since I still have two original unmodified ones and I see no downsides to making the slot oval instead of a thin slot. I am skeptical that the oval even matters though. I just can't see how it can hit the needle since it's buried deep into the hook assembly.

So there you have it.

I'm not saying this works with every 319W, but it works with mine......no downsides are evident and I can use 15x1 needles as I please.

Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.....I'm not going to question it, I'm just going to be happy it works!

Last edited by great white; 02-05-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 PM

Cool, can't argue with success.

Jon
Old 02-05-2014, 08:25 PM

great white,

Are you modifying the bobbins or the bobbin case? And could you post a picture of one of your modified cases?

Joe
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Hey, GW. Did you try those shorter needles? The industrial ones with the titanium tips.