new old Pfaff 130

Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 AM

Default new old Pfaff 130

I swear I have sewing machine radar. I can just be going about my business and that radar goes off and tells me where to go. I wasn't planning on looking for machines, but the radar went off and wouldn't be denied! So off to the senior center thrift shop I went.

I've only been there once before and it wasn't too promising but I poked around and finally asked up front if they ever see machines.It's another case of, If I didn't ask, I never would have known. The main space had zero sewing machines, but apparently they have an "antique room" that was locked and it had a Singer in a bentwood case. Also they have an area behind the store in a shed? where they have tables and tv's and such.

So there in the midst of the pile sits a Pfaff 130. It was on top of it's cabinet and the cabinet was too far gone for me to even consider. I was also surprised to see them trying to sell the sm and cabinet together for 150! The machine was frozen and no cord or foot controller, together with damaged cabinet wasn't adding up for me, but I made a deal for the machine and it came with a Pfaff tin of accessories and the manual. The woman there was happily telling me how it sews through leather..lol! It doesn't sew through anything in this condition but with luck maybe sew!

I have it marinating in the garage. Last night I was able to get the needle moving but there is plenty more to free up still.

Does anyone know what the darker metal thing about 3 o'clock in the attachment pile is?
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0067-640-x-426-.jpg   dsc_0040-640-x-426-.jpg  
Old 06-19-2014, 02:30 PM

Nice machine! The dark loop thing looks a bit like an old folding buttonhook my Great Aunt had. Does it look like there was a folding piece on the handle?
Old 06-19-2014, 07:01 PM

Wow you scored! No idea on the gizmo.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Nice machine! The dark loop thing looks a bit like an old folding buttonhook my Great Aunt had. Does it look like there was a folding piece on the handle?
Not really. At least I think not. I can't figure out what it is though.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:28 PM

I was looking around and it appears to be a "knife holder" where you screw in a blade to the one end. I guess to use for buttonholes and such.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

Nice find!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
I was looking around and it appears to be a "knife holder" where you screw in a blade to the one end. I guess to use for buttonholes and such.
That's exactly what it is - a buttonhole cutter without the blade. I have one. But I don't like to make buttonholes. :>D
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

I don't much like making buttonholes either but it's fun to have these old things and know how they work. I prefer to use a seam ripper if i need to open a buttonhole.

Ok I have been working on this thing for a few days now.. Step one clean the outside (first cleaning) and the inside to remove old nasty hardened oils. I re-oiled and started trying to break things free. Oh, the first thing I did was remove the motor and light since I won't be needing those for awhile.

I managed to get the needle bar moving and was able to get the bobbin winder nice and freed up. So far the bobbin winder is the only part of the machine that is really moving well and it had been frozen solid.

After a couple days the basic action started sounding squishy and I found old thread wrapped around behind the bobbin area and was able to remove it. After that the needle bar was moving a bit better. *Don't get too excited, I've lost whatever ground I had gained there.

The stitch width knob and needle position were horribly frozen...knob to bar, bar frozen further inside machine, etc. I was able to the get knob unfrozen from the bar and off. Baby steps.

Last night I was able to break the bar loose and turn it and as I worked it, it loosened up even more. *I seem to have lost 90% of that overnight too.

I am trying to remove the hook and whatnot in the bobbin area as that is the only place that had some rust and I would like to be able to get these pieces smoothed out. It involves removing SIX tiny screws. I have 4 out. The other 2 are playing hardball and someone has slightly stripped one of them prior to me getting this machine.

I keep reminding myself these things don't freeze up overnight. Don't expect them to unfreeze overnight.

Small successes are thrilling, but there are still many more parts to this battle to get this sewing machine working again.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:44 AM

So, you have a challenge. It is a good thing that you got the price down on it, and especially that you seem to enjoy a challenge!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM

I do enjoy a challenge, but it's so much sweeter when you feel you have a chance of winning.

I just put all my tools away and cleaned up the work space. This is what I do when I am ready to BEGIN a new machine. In this case I have lost so much ground since I started that I think it would be best to begin again with step one and try to figure out what I may have missed and where I need to go next.

Sometimes it helps to get a fresh perspective.