now I feel better

Old 03-11-2015, 09:01 AM

Life is short - getting a machine of your heart's desire - worth it! My White 670 was bought solely because it was the model my Mom had when I was growing up.

I may have just scored - but I won't know for sure until the machine arrives - I've got my fingers crossed it's the Pre-National model that takes the longer shuttle - the only one I'm missing of the Boye Shuttle group. It's got some markings of both June and Eldredge, and they were working together before they merged to become National. No matter what, it's different enough from any I currently own.

Though maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket - since I seem to have a good run of luck - finding two of the few machines I'm after two days apart!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

(Crossing fingers for you) Here's hoping!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:20 AM

So - I'm searching online to see if I can find more info to date the second machine - and instead I learn about the early Eldredge rotary machines - that have a different bobbin and case than the later National rotary machines - so now I want one of those too . . . The Damascus Grand Joe is holding for me is a great example of an earlier National rotary machine - so I needed that one too LOL!!

However -that does fit in my collection as I also am after the earliest rotary machines.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:08 PM

Cathy,

congratulations on your machines! We're anxious for pictures!

Jeanette
Old 03-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I'm trying hard not to add anything to MY "collection" (which I'm still in a little bit of denial that it's a collection, I just have sort of a lot of machines) but it's rough.

I learned how to sew on my gran's Pfaff 332-260 and I've wanted one of those for awhile now. I see two on eBay right now exactly like hers and I'm sooooo tempted.... *sigh* Maybe I can convince DH to buy one of them for me for my birthday, that way *I* didn't buy it and that makes it OK. LOL There's nothing all that special about the machine (although I think the way the bed folds down is pretty cool), I just want one for sentimental reasons.
Ahhhh I long for the days I was in that same denial! At some point I had to accept I collect sewing machines. It's not so bad. Other people seem to think it's a cool hobby lol!

Hubby recently bought me a machine for me birthday too! *He didn't know he was buying it... I was overtaken with the fever! But after my confession he said "Happy Birthday"! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:24 AM

If you keep buying machines even after your actual sewing needs (or wants) are met then you're collecting machines. Accept it and enjoy your collection.
Rodney
Old 03-12-2015, 05:11 AM

Back when I started collecting - I'd go to look at a machine, and my husband would start making snide comments about "she's just going to take it home and store it" to the seller, or anyone else if the subject came up. He thought he was being funny - and I was getting rather upset with him.

So we had a talk - and I told him that he was really undermining me with sellers - and that even though I probably would not sew on the machine, they still held an important place with my collection - since it has a reason and I was selecting specific machines. And I pulled out my "ace" card - if he was going to insist I owned no machines I wasn't using, then he should also insist I owned no firearms I wasn't using. And since I have a really nice collection of Marlin lever guns that I never "use" - that put a stop to that real quick.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:15 AM

That must have been before he decided to get a few for himself.
Rodney
Old 03-13-2015, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
If you keep buying machines even after your actual sewing needs (or wants) are met then you're collecting machines. Accept it and enjoy your collection.
Rodney
I know...I know... My husband has stopped asking, "Does it do something your other machines don't do?" when I'm looking at a machine, he knows the answer is going to be, "No, but I want it anyway, it's just too cool!" He gets it, though, he makes music and he has some old synthesizers and keyboards he never uses but were just "too cool" to pass up. And he wasn't asking to be snide, he was genuinely puzzled for awhile but now he understands - I don't NEED them, I'm just accumulating them.

I made myself a rule, I have to sew on each one at least once per year or it has to go. Partially because I do need to keep this under control for space reasons, and also because I don't want to have machines just sitting, I believe they should be used. There are going to be some exceptions (like the machine my aunt gave me, I will NEVER get rid of that unless one of her kids wants it some day) but for the most part it sounds like a good idea. We'll see how well I stick to it though! I might have to make it once every TWO years...a year goes by a lot faster than it used to.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Sewnoma...just get it and call it a Bday present for yourself. This Bday is a big one and you may need some immediate gratification to get through it. (Ask me how I know...LOL.)

Hoppin' birdies, two ewes, BTW.

~ C
Thanks Cindy!

I'm not too freaked out about it (so far), but it does feel like a milestone. I loved turning 30, made me feel like I was finally an "adult". (I'm still not really grown up though...) If I wear a hoodie I still get carded so I must not look that old yet, LOL. I can see my age the most in my hands, they're looking more and more like my grandmother's hands every year! But I look at my hands a lot more than I look at my face, so maybe my face looks just as old and I simply haven't noticed! Or maybe it's just that I'm "chubby" and my face-fat fills in all the wrinkles. LOL

That doesn't mean I won't use it as an excuse to buy myself a few presents though! Maybe I'll take another look at those Pfaffs this evening...