Oiling Singer 30215

Old 03-23-2018, 10:57 AM
pal

Default Oiling Singer 30215

I got this machine working, but would like to oil it. It sounds so loud and cranky - but I can't get the face cover off, and can't find any oil holes. (the owner lost the book).

I took all of the screws out, but the thread guide seems to be holding the face cover to the machine and am afraid I might break it if I keep trying to pry it off. Thank you for any help.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:24 PM

There's a screw in the center of the face plate that needs to come off, and you gently pry it open with a screw driver (manual suggest using the zipper foot and insert it into the top slot of the face plate). I don't know this model at all, there's not much further details. I would not call in vintage though, even if might be 10 or 20 years old. Plastic covers on these machines can be cumbersome to get off, but its possible. Find a spot and use a plastic tool in the joints. The joints in the encasing are usually click-in-place, a few paces there might be screws involved. It's not a model you should spend a lot of time and money on, but an easy DIY cleaning and fix-up can be worth it. There might be gears or joints inside you can lubricate, but it's meant to be done during a service.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:23 PM
pal

Thanks Mickey2, I'll give it another try.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Pal, I have http://www.singerco.com/support/instruction-manuals bookmarked as first place to look for Singer and White manuals. I downloaded the manual for your machine from there.

I have downloaded some Janome manuals for other badged machines as well. I don't remember the model, but I was surprised initially to see that Janome had a "Singer" manual. Evidently they were the manufactures. I also found a Janome manual for a machine I have badged Necchi Omega. I have a Kenmore and Janome machine that are just 'dressed' differently and even found a service manual for each of them. Maybe if you found a similar Janome machine you may be able to find a service manual for one or the other.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 PM
Banned

Janey Janome builds machines for just about everybody, even Bernina. They are the largest manufacturer of badged machines. They own the Necchi name same as they do New Home and Elna.

Cari
Old 03-24-2018, 06:39 AM

Check for screws all over the faceplate. On back, front and all. Then gently try to get it off. I have a viking and it doesn't come off. I have to oil from top.