Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Crossstitcher 07-24-2011 11:24 AM

All the quilts I have just looked at are really pretty. Lots of bright colors being used. Keep up the good work.

purplefiend 07-24-2011 03:21 PM

Sew Extreme,
Thank you!
Some of the blocks are log cabin blocks, they were extras from another charity quilt.
The crumb blocks don't really use a pattern. Here's a link for an idea of how to get started.

http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml
Sharon W.

miriam 07-30-2011 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.

Bennett 07-30-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
This one was not done by me. It was done before I was born. My aunt gave it to me at a family reunion. Her grandma made it out of her boys old pants. I can see wool, velvet, silk, cotton, linsey - lots of texture. It has a linen back. It has wool inside and is just knotted together. I'm sure it was on a vintage machine - she died in the 1950s. Her sons were born between 1880 and 1900.

What a great piece of history to have!

vintagemotif 07-30-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett

It is interesting that they only knotted this. Thanks for sharing with us.

deplaylady 07-30-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

When I was younger, my Aunt used to come over for a couple weeks and we (the whole family) would tie quilts. The quilt was probably more utilitarian and meant to keep people warm. Plus the heavy fabric would have been hard to quilt.

vintagemotif 07-30-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

When I was younger, my Aunt used to come over for a couple weeks and we (the whole family) would tie quilts. The quilt was probably more utilitarian and meant to keep people warm. Plus the heavy fabric would have been hard to quilt.

That makes sense that the heavy fabric would be hard to quilt.

cherrybsixty 07-30-2011 09:21 PM

Monica, the wool quilt that I lost of my grandmother's was hand-tied.

vintagemotif 07-30-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

OH NO!!

cherrybsixty 07-30-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

OH NO!!

That is why I was so quick to save the antique quilt. When I lost it I wasn't into quilting and I had no idea the value of it all. "Young and dumb," as my late husband would phrase it.