Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

J Miller 03-31-2013 09:23 AM

Quilt for my aunts, update:

See original post on page 110, { http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...34918-110.html } post # 1098.

We sent the quilts out the first of this month. Aunt Sheri got her quilt on the 7th and aunt Dorothy didn't go to the PO to get hers till the 16th. But she did get it.

We just heard from my aunt Sheri today about her quilt. She's 82 years old and doesn't respond as quick as she used to but she told us she was quite happy with her quilt and that it was "snugly warm". I'm tickled she liked it.

Now hopefully aunt Dorothy will let us know how she liked her quilt. She's 88 and moves even slower. I do hope she likes it.

Joe

Vridar 03-31-2013 10:39 AM

Great idea and very colorful. Gives me ideas. - Ron

nanna-up-north 04-02-2013 04:33 AM

Joe, the quilts are lovely and I'm sure your aunts are really enjoying them. I love to hear how my quilts are being used..... makes it worth it to go to all that work.

Muv, your little quilt is adorable.... I'm amazed are how beautiful your stipling is. I can never get mine to be so smooth.

toolazy 04-15-2013 09:54 AM

Some very nice quilts in this thread! Don't know as I'll be bold enough to try FMQ, but I just abandoned the modern Pfaff in favor of the Singer 301A for piecing. What a relief -- don't need a leader strip, don't need to fuss with needle position to get a 1/4" seam, don't need to fuss with tension when I want to use up a "who knows what it is?" bobbin thread ... just turn it on and zoom zoom. They really DON'T make 'em like they used to, eh?

ArchaicArcane 04-15-2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by toolazy (Post 6003441)
Some very nice quilts in this thread! Don't know as I'll be bold enough to try FMQ, but I just abandoned the modern Pfaff in favor of the Singer 301A for piecing. What a relief -- don't need a leader strip, don't need to fuss with needle position to get a 1/4" seam, don't need to fuss with tension when I want to use up a "who knows what it is?" bobbin thread ... just turn it on and zoom zoom. They really DON'T make 'em like they used to, eh?

I would try it if you're using a 301. It's one of the friendliest machines I've found so far for FMQ. It's only real downside is the small harp. That doesn't matter for me though. I can crash into the pillar no matter how much space a person gives me. :D

happyquiltmom 04-16-2013 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another finished UFO. This was a Thangles Buck A Block in 2008. I made the top (pieced on my Singer 401A) as a shop sample, it hung in the shop for a year, then came home and lived in a box for awhile. Recently, a longarm quilting friend and I swapped a couple of projects. I pieced a top for her, and she quilted this. It's going to our son and DIL for a wedding gift.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]408494[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 04-16-2013 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 6006271)
Another finished UFO. This was a Thangles Buck A Block in 2008. I made the top (pieced on my Singer 401A) as a shop sample, it hung in the shop for a year, then came home and lived in a box for awhile. Recently, a longarm quilting friend and I swapped a couple of projects. I pieced a top for her, and she quilted this. It's going to our son and DIL for a wedding gift.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]408494[/ATTACH]

Cindy, That's a very pretty quilt. I always enjoy the story behind the making of a quilt. Sweet deal with swapping the work to get the quilt done! That quilt is a lovely wedding gift.

JudyTheSewer 04-16-2013 07:26 PM

Cindy, That is very pretty! I saved an image of it in my folder of quilts I really like. Good job, and your son and his wife will be so pleased to receive that.

BoJangles 04-17-2013 02:16 PM

Wow, Cindy yours is the first of the Buck a Block quilts I have seen done! I also started one of those in 2008, but the quilt store I was getting the Buck a Block blocks from quit half way through the season so I don't even have all the blocks to finish the quilt. Great job. I really like yours!

Nancy

SewExtremeSeams 04-18-2013 06:45 AM

Cindy your quilt is great. I am sure your son and his new wife will enjoy it.