Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

jljack 05-14-2012 12:47 PM

Muv, American definition of Parchment Paper:

Parchment paperModern parchment paper is made by running sheets of paper pulp through a bath of sulfuric acid[SUP][1][/SUP] (a method similar to how tracing paper is made) or sometimes zinc chloride. This process partially dissolves or gelatinizes the paper, a process which is reversed by washing the chemicals off followed by drying. This treatment forms a sulfurized cross-linked material with high density, stability, and heat resistance, and low surface energy – thereby imparting good non-stick or release properties. The treated paper has an appearance similar to that of traditional parchment.

Definition of "Genuine Parchment"

[h=2]Specialty Expressions: genuine parchment[/h][TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="class: head, width: 25%"]Expressions[/TD]
[TD="class: head, width: 15%"]Domain[/TD]
[TD="class: head, width: 60%"]Definition[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Genuine parchment[/TD]
[TD]Meteorology & Standards[/TD]
[TD]Paper which as a result of treatment with sulphuric acid has a dense, hard structure and is thus resistant to the penetration of organic substances such as fat and oils and is resistant to decomposition even in boiling water. Source: European Union. (references)[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

conniety 05-14-2012 11:52 PM

I'm loving it Monica, will this be your TOGA project? Or will that project come after the TOGA? Too many questions, how about me letting you get to work. Enjoy the TOGA.

grannysewer 05-15-2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5210194)
Thanks, Nancy!! Grannysewer, that bag is scrumptious! I like making bags, too. I am envious of your zipper...I don't do them particularly well, so avoid them!!

Thanks, I used a separating zipper and covered the ends with little scraps of fabric, a la Nancy Z. They are much easier to work with.

vintagemotif 05-15-2012 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by conniety (Post 5217581)
I'm loving it Monica, will this be your TOGA project? Or will that project come after the TOGA? Too many questions, how about me letting you get to work. Enjoy the TOGA.

You first. So who are you? Tell me about your homepage Sencart.com Most folks here on QB only link to their own personal blog, not a work site.

Taken from the about page.

"
[h=3]Our Group[/h] SENCART.COM is an experienced group of internet seller; we make sure your shopping experience is easy and comfortable. Sencart.com provides light-speed service and wholesale price. Whoever you are, and wherever you are, Sencart offers the same price to all: the lowest possible. We serve customers from all over the world."

Quilting Board is about people posting their quilting works and hobbies. Please leave it as that. Thank you.

Muv 05-15-2012 12:57 PM

Was that yellow dress made on a vintage machine? Bit pricey.

CoventryUK 05-15-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5211042)
Hello Nancy-

Glad you enjoyed the machine applique. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Doing blanket stitch by machine might be the one thing that could persuade me into considering getting an electric machine.

Parchment to English ears is what you would buy only if you were seriously keen on calligraphy. Far too expensive to run through the sewing machine!

Muv you can buy baking parchment here in UK!!! It is similar to greaseproof and found in the same area of most supermarkets!!!

angelic 05-15-2012 04:08 PM

I retired 2 years ago. Nine months ago I purchased my first vintage/ antique Singer Sewing machine because of a Bucket List. I wanted a machine similiar to one that I learned to sew on. The day before yesterday I bought #28 and today # 29. I am so addicted to them. I repair them and clean them up - I have sold 2 of them but I am not advertising. This past winter I started machine quilting - I am on my third quilt - I am hoping to do a quilt on each machine. First was a Singer 66, then a 301 - now I am on a 15-91 - looking forward to the free motion on this one - it was a bear on the 301 because of the 90 degree angle of the threade because of the bobbin location - this time it should be alot easier. Free motion quilting is so much fun - I do it to music and I can tell whether it was rock or classical playing because of the stitch - it will be awhile before I will be able to control that - untill then I am having a ball quilting. I wish that I had started this 30 years ago !! :)
If I knew how to post pictures - I would of the past 2 quilts and the one I am working on now

Muv 05-16-2012 01:08 AM

Hello Angelic - great to hear from you, and looking forward to seeing pictures of the quilts and the machines. It's hard to tell sometimes which are more fascinating, the quilts or the machines.

To post photos, press the "Go Advanced" button, then press the "Manage Attachments " button. This will open a new window where there is a box marked "Choose file" Press that, and bring up the pictures from your computer, and select which one you want to post. Then press the "Upload" button and wait until it finishes loading. You can then choose and upload more pictures, one at a time. Then press "Close this window", press "Submit Reply" and sit back and let the computer do its magic.

Havplenty 05-16-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5220154)
Hello Angelic - great to hear from you, and looking forward to seeing pictures of the quilts and the machines. It's hard to tell sometimes which are more fascinating, the quilts or the machines.

To post photos, press the "Go Advanced" button, then press the "Manage Attachments " button. This will open a new window where there is a box marked "Choose file" Press that, and bring up the pictures from your computer, and select which one you want to post. Then press the "Upload" button and wait until it finishes loading. You can then choose and upload more pictures, one at a time. Then press "Close this window", press "Submit Reply" and sit back and let the computer do its magic.

angelic you will also need to resize your photos to about 640 x 480 pixels. if the photos are too big, they will not upload, you will get as failed to upload message. here is a tute on resizing pics.

somehow these vintsage singers are like potatoe chips, you cannot have just one (4 here & counting).:)

mary

Muv 05-16-2012 10:39 AM

Hello Angelic - there again you might not need to resize - I never have to.