Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Donna Mare 02-11-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Getting a Jap15 this weekend that is badged White, and is light blue and chrome, and need it because it reminds me of my first car. Now that is stretching for a reason to get a machine.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Here is a cute Japanese 15 I got for $5.

I have its brother sitting in my sunroom waiting on parts so it can go out to the studio for the spa treatment. A VERY nice machine!!!

Billy

I would guess I have its sister b/c my 15 clone (I think it's a 15 clone) is a big blue machine in a cabinet. It runs but needs some TLC and a couple of parts. I got mine for $20.

Grins, any excuse will do. If it's a rainy day and I see a machine on craigslist I want. I blame it on the weather.

Deara 02-11-2011 01:04 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I had been holding out to share my latest machine until it arrived safely. She came this afternoon safe and sound.

Here she is: Singer Model 12 fiddlebase

If I did it correctly, I dated her to 1871 based on the first serial number in the picture shown.
Someone painted her. :cry: I suppose to cover bare metal and she has a faint partial decal. She has her shuttle and when her wheel is turned everything moves smoothly.:thumbup: She has been oiled and once I figure out her ins and outs,:shock: I think I would like to add a handcrank to her. :roll:

Billy, is it possible to turn her into a handcrank?

Check out the patent dates
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166393[/ATTACH]

Donna Mare 02-11-2011 01:52 PM

How very nice! Unique!!

Miz Johnny 02-11-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
I had been holding out to share my latest machine until it arrived safely. She came this afternoon safe and sound.

If I did it correctly, I dated her to 1871 based on the first serial number in the picture shown.
Someone painted her. :cry: I suppose to cover bare metal and she has a faint partial decal. She has her shuttle and when her wheel is turned everything moves smoothly.:thumbup: She has been oiled and once I figure out her ins and outs,:shock: I think I would like to add a handcrank to her. :roll:

Billy, is it possible to turn her into a handcrank?

I looked to see if I have pictures on the computer, and unfortunately I don't, BUT--I have a repainted 1869 Model 12. My first reaction was the same as yours. After a while, I realized that my machine had been in good enough shape to have a professional repaint, probably during WWII, as it had the godzilla paint and a metal Singer insignia attached to the head. I decided my machine must have quite a history to have lived so long and been used through so many decades.
It came in a small (ugly!) brown and tan case that was marked "Eldredge B" on the inside, but had been cut out to hold the 12. There was a hand crank with it, but obviously not one that would fit it, as the Model 12 cannot take the modern Singer crank.
I kept the case, but sent off (to England) for a crank, removed the belt guard and had a <somewhat> working machine. I could never get it to make a truly decent stitch until some GFs and I got together for a Vintage Machine Weekend and determined that during the 1940's era redo, somone had put a modern needle clamp on this machine!! The clamp would only hold a 15 X 1 needle, which wouldn't work on a Model 12!! Luckily, I had a donor machine (doesn't everyone??), so replaced the entire needle bar, and the machine now sews.

She has been on loan to a GF for a couple of years. She uses it and my W & G electric to sew her period clothing.

I'm not Billy, but to answer your question--you must have a Model 12 HC (antique/vintage) for your machine; the modern one will not work.

Deara 02-11-2011 02:25 PM

Thank you Miz Johnny for your info about this old girl of mine.
She shall grace one of our sitting spots until we locate the necessary parts she needs to become a working handcrank.

Blessings,
Sandi

jljack 02-11-2011 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi - I am buying a Belair Bantam from the 1940s. Here's a pic. I don't know much about it except that it works and it's only a couple of pounds heavier than a Featherweight. Anything you can tell me would be bonus..I tried Googling, but didn't find hardly anything.

Miz Johnny 02-11-2011 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hi - I am buying a Belair Bantam from the 1940s. Here's a pic. I don't know much about it except that it works and it's only a couple of pounds heavier than a Featherweight. Anything you can tell me would be bonus..I tried Googling, but didn't find hardly anything.

I've had a couple, and one IMPORTANT thing I can tell you is the repro HC's won't work on them!! It's important to me because I thought I could have a lightweight 99 clone (yes, Billy, I know you hate that word!! LOL!!) to carry around with me. I gave one of mine to a machinist in hopes he can make an adapter so the repro handcranks will work. (The repro wheels won't work, either, although they can be lapped out and made to fit.)

Otherwise, they are very similar to a 99.

BoJangles 02-11-2011 03:08 PM

[quote=Deara]I had been holding out to share my latest machine until it arrived safely. She came this afternoon safe and sound.

Very nice, very old Singer fiddle base!

Nancy

Glenn 02-11-2011 03:58 PM

All you featherweight people, I got a featherweight for nothing it works fine except I need bobbins. Where to you recomend I get some? Glenn

Lacelady 02-11-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn
All you featherweight people, I got a featherweight for nothing it works fine except I need bobbins. Where to you recomend I get some? Glenn

FOR NOTHING??? Are you the sort that if you fell in the sea, you would come out dry?

I got my bobbins on ebay, by the way.