Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Deara 05-18-2010 12:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is my 1895 Singer Model 28K with a coffin top.
Hubby bought me this for our anniversary last year.

I have named her Victoria
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69466[/ATTACH]

phyllis b 05-18-2010 12:20 PM

Wow. That is an incredibly gorgeous machine. What a lucky girl

quilt addict 05-18-2010 12:34 PM

Deara - what a beautiful machine. Must have a great DH!

brushandthimble 05-18-2010 12:37 PM

WOW what a beauty!!

quilt addict 05-18-2010 12:38 PM

Okay, I want to think about sewing on my treadle when it goes back together, and hopefully works. I have a box of vintage blocks from ebay that I want to make into quilts. I have seen it claimed that people can tell when the stitching was done on treadle machine. Is that true? How can you tell?

I would love to have a sew in. That is a great idea. I may have to use a younger machine. Although, what is the cut off. I purchased my machine in the late 70's. So not quite vintage. I will have to get Robin (blue Singer 337) going.

lfw045 05-18-2010 12:42 PM

Gorgeous!

Deara 05-18-2010 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Deara - what a beautiful machine. Must have a great DH!

Thank you and I am blessed with a wonderful husband, who shares my love for vintage machines.

Charlee 05-18-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Okay, I want to think about sewing on my treadle when it goes back together, and hopefully works. I have a box of vintage blocks from ebay that I want to make into quilts. I have seen it claimed that people can tell when the stitching was done on treadle machine. Is that true? How can you tell?

I would love to have a sew in. That is a great idea. I may have to use a younger machine. Although, what is the cut off. I purchased my machine in the late 70's. So not quite vintage. I will have to get Robin (blue Singer 337) going.

Unless the treadle is a chainstitch machine, and there's no guarentee that a chainstitch IS a treadle (they made e-chainers too) there's no way to tell the difference in the stitching...

Charlee 05-18-2010 01:12 PM

Deara...that handcrank is AWESOME!!

I SO want one of those....someday...

no1jan 05-18-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by no1jan
I haven't decided yet. I would probably need help talking me through it. 8-) :wink:

It really depends how much work it needs. Besides what would I do with the rest of it?

I love my redhead, and definitely want all the attachments for it. Is it difficult to convert. Remember I broke an indestructible bobbin winder! :) :) :)

You would just swap the presserfoot bars out and you can still use both of the machines. I was looking at the decals on the machine and they look worn that why I said I would swap presserfoot bars out on it. You can still clean it up and use it like you stole it and not have to worry about hurting the decals of your other machine.

Billy

I talked with the woman today, and I can pick it up tomorrow instead of next week. I will probably do as you say about the presserfoot bar. I do love my Redhead "Smitty".