Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 02-22-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Ouch! I haven't nailed my finger yet, but I did cut a chunk out of my 1st finger with a rotary cutter a couple days ago! Ouch!

Nancy

I"ll bet that finger is complaining! Sorry you hurt yourself. Perfect excuse to take the day and just admire your machines.[/quote]

Ouch! is right I have a friend that did the same thing. Hurt bad for several days. She still has numbness in that area. I try to remember what she went through when I am cutting with the rotary cutter. Thinking of using one of those handles that to stick on a rule.

tjradj 02-22-2011 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Ugly Betty was fetching $100 Can. The bottom edge was all chipped and corroded looking. The machine ran well but we didn't try it with thread in. I never thought of bringing my own!

Hmmmm I wonder if it had aluminum rot?

I think it was, it was white and powdery and just flaked off to the touch.

BoJangles 02-22-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Ouch! is right I have a friend that did the same thing. Hurt bad for several days. She still has numbness in that area. I try to remember what she went through when I am cutting with the rotary cutter. Thinking of using one of those handles that to stick on a rule.

We were just talking the other day about all the people I know that have cut themselves badly with a rotary cutter! I thought I am too careful, I won't do that, and hadn't done it! Well, guess what my DH was buggin me, and I sliced that first finger to the bone! But, on the good side it is a clean slice and should heal back very nicely! Boy was I doing a weird dance after that -- it hurt! I was not even cussing -- just too painful!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-22-2011 08:07 AM

For some odd reason, DH doesn't want my Rocketeer on the back of the toilet. So I guess I will find it a new home and list it in the classifieds section.

Oh that is too bad! I love my Rocketeer - I can use it for fancy stitches and monogramming! I even have a button hole attachment, which I haven't tried yet!

Nancy

Kathie S. 02-22-2011 08:35 AM

We were just talking the other day about all the people I know that have cut themselves badly with a rotary cutter! I thought I am too careful, I won't do that, and hadn't done it! Well, guess what my DH was buggin me, and I sliced that first finger to the bone! But, on the good side it is a clean slice and should heal back very nicely! Boy was I doing a weird dance after that -- it hurt! I was not even cussing -- just too painful!

Nancy[/quote]

Nancy if you cut your finger to the bone, did you go to the doctor for stitches and a tentus shot? Kathie

Weedwoman 02-22-2011 08:40 AM

DH and I were finally putting a belt on my 15 made in Occ Japan (it had a motor when we got it) He discoverd that nothing lined up so we got to looking and the head is in an old cabinet made especially for the Davis machine. Neither of us even gave it a thought or a closer look and here he went to all the trouble to rework a cabinet for my Davis VF and it was lots of work. And we had a Davis cabinet alredy in the house and didn't realize it. He was mad enough to smoke a pickle.
I told him maybe we'd come across another old Davis to fill that hole and put the little Diamond 15 in something else. Some days I'm not sure we are fully tuned in on the correct frequency.........

chris_quilts 02-22-2011 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher

I have one of those handles because I have cut my finger several times. Got it at a hardware store for about $13 compared to LQS which was about $25. Same thing just diff colors. Guy at hardware store was concerned that it wasn't safe to use in the shower but when I explained my purpose he just shook his head. Probably wondered why a quilter needed one in the 1st place.

tomilu 02-22-2011 09:32 AM

Ugly Betty was fetching $100 Can. The bottom edge was all chipped and corroded looking. The machine ran well but we didn't try it with thread in. I never thought of bringing my own!

Hmmmm I wonder if it had aluminum rot?

I think it was, it was white and powdery and just flaked off to the touch.

That is the dreaded "rot" all right. You did good not to buy it.

tomilu 02-22-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
I was just given an old White like yours -Donna Mare-that was electrified, got it cleaned and oiled, and it runs nicely. I have an old treadle table, minus the original top that needs to be worked on. It is missing the rod between the treadle and the wheel. I will have to figure out some substitute. Then I can put the two together with a new top! Fun!

That rod is called a "pitman". Billy may have one.

Miz Johnny 02-22-2011 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
I have a full-sized Pfaff treadle #30, but I certainly didn't give that much for it!!

Miz Johnny please post a picture!

Nancy

When I get it out from under it's protective covering of fabric, I will do that!!
I went away for the long weekend, and came back to 24 unread pages!! You kids settle down and go to sleep so I can get some rest!!