Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 07-28-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Here's one I'm looking at - it looks like a cute little one my GD would like to play with when she is here (and it's green and cute looking) - but they say the shipping weight is 58 lbs - no way that has to be right. Anyone know anything about these machines? Also, it seems to be missing the bobbin cover plate and I'm not if they are hard to replace.

http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8304821

Can you make a throat plate out of a piece of plastic?
http://www.using-sewing-machines.com/Singer285J.html
Note they are reviewing a Singer 285 not a 185. Where do you pick it up? I live in Indianapolis. just enabling...

I have the plates for the 185, 99, 66, and so forth. I probably stock more parts than a lot of these online stores. My attic looks like a NAPA for sewing machines with shelves full of parts and all for vintage sewing machines. :D

Billy

Lostn51 07-28-2011 05:03 AM

Which reminds me I just got a new shipment of Handcranks and Handwheels if you need them.

Billy

tomilu 07-28-2011 05:21 AM

CL in Wichita has a beautiful Pfaff 130 in a parlor cabinet for $100. He sent me pics and the head is pristine, just needs a new bobbin winder, and the cabinet is plain but very nice.

Quilt Mom 07-28-2011 05:34 AM

An update as far as the little treadle in Rochester - we get no responses from calls or e-mails. I am wondering if it has already been sold. But the ad is still up.

deplaylady 07-28-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
An update as far as the little treadle in Rochester - we get no responses from calls or e-mails. I am wondering if it has already been sold. But the ad is still up.

Hang in there. I waited one week for a response on my 99k. I thought it must have been sold, but then a week later I got an email saying she still had it. on the other hand - this one is much rarer and such a good price someone might have snuck in there.

purplefiend 07-28-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
I was thinking of a darker, smellier place...

Went to St. Vincent DePaul "Thrift" store today. They had a Bronze colored New Home, with attachments, book, and cabinet.... $235.00. Also had a Singer 15-90, in really poor shape, few attachments, also $235.00!! When the lady asked if I wanted either of them, I flat out told her, I could buy either one on ebay cheaper, including shipping! Sheese....

I think the people who price the machines at some thrift stores are of the mindset; if its old and black, its worth lots and lots of money, no matter what condition its in. :roll:

I was at an antique store several years ago and saw lots of rusted machine heads there; all were priced at $100 or more. I asked why so much for a rusted thing and the response was: "Its an antique and someone wants it for decoration." I was just shocked. I mentioned that someone else might want a working version of what she had. She couldn't understand that we like to use old machines for sewing. She also had several machine cabinets painted black and the tops screwed down so they couldn't be opened.
:thumbdown: :roll:

kwendt 07-28-2011 06:48 AM

Anyone in the Rochester area? There's a Remington coffin top treadle, nice cabinet, early machine with the tesioner set up on the top. Pick up only. Cannot beat the price. Here's the link: http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8312425

kwendt 07-28-2011 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I think the people who price the machines at some thrift stores are of the mindset; if its old and black, its worth lots and lots of money, no matter what condition its in. :roll:

I was at an antique store several years ago and saw lots of rusted machine heads there; all were priced at $100 or more. I asked why so much for a rusted thing and the response was: "Its an antique and someone wants it for decoration." I was just shocked. I mentioned that someone else might want a working version of what she had. She couldn't understand that we like to use old machines for sewing. She also had several machine cabinets painted black and the tops screwed down so they couldn't be opened.
:thumbdown: :roll:

Wow... yeah. There are two thrift/antique stores near me with multiple machines. A Rocketeer in a table, with attachments for $250; a Spartan in a plastic case for $99, a 201 in a 50's painted table, some rust, no attachments for $200, and an early 99 singer (one of the first 99's, treadle balance wheel with the 'foot print' electric controller) in grass cloth rectangular case for $59.

Then there was a animal rescue league thrift store that had the Singer STRAIGHT leg treadle cabinet, with a 15-88 treadle machine in it. I SO wanted to get it, but already have two treadle cabs AND an industrial table sewing machine (Sailrite SR200 longarm). I have no more room! lol

kwendt 07-28-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

Interesting. It's an auction. I don't think they can just pull it. ??? Not sure. I'd go over to the Goodwill and see it first. If you're close by, that is.

Hey all... there's an "American Beauty" two spools on the goodwill site too! I'd love that machine.... but, already have too many machines to figure out as it is... lol. I'm starting to stash them under my bed... how 'sick' is that???? (just kidding.... of course)!!! ! :lol:

dirty1mom 07-28-2011 07:02 AM

I saw that Remington listed. The reserves from Rochester seem to be high. I have bid on a previous listing for them and never hit the reserve price.