Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 4977224)
Monica,
I love your star, I relate to having problems with stars like this one not laying flat. I call them "D cups" when they do that. rofl
Sharon

Haahahhhaaaa!!! Sharon, you're funny! It wasn't the stars the was giving problems. I was trying to connect two pieces of batting together to make one large one. Now, I'm going to be looking at these stars differently!!!

jljack 02-15-2012 10:40 AM

Happy anniversary to you all! My DH and I will have only 10 years in June, but by far the happiest 10 years of my life!!

Joe, I forgot to look at the motor last night...got involved in other stuff. I look as soon as I get home. I don't want to promise something that's not worth having. :-)

Kathie S. 02-15-2012 10:48 AM

Sometime back someone posted an 800 number for Janome. I have lost the number. Could you please share it again? Thank you, Kathie

Crossstitcher 02-15-2012 12:09 PM

Happy anniversary to you all! My DH and I will have our 48th in November. I was married when just a baby. LOL

miriam 02-15-2012 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 4976885)
Hi Miriam,Test-fit a hand crank on your 319 before committing to that power type. If the 319 is like a 206, the boss is off-set to one side enough that the crank finger doesn’t match up with the center of the upper shaft and wheel....CD in Oklahoma

You are right it doesn't work as is - I tried it - it may work with a notched hand wheel

Quilt Mom 02-15-2012 01:00 PM

I was haunting the local antique mall today. I found what appears to be a 3/4 size machine. The serial number is G9849378. The chart identifies it as a 128, the number allotted to a batch of 15000 on Feb 19, 1923. It has a shuttle and bobbin in place, is missing 1/2 the plate (front). What baffles me is that it is electric, with a knee control. I think this is the way it originally was sold, as the case has the receptor for the knee control. (I thought the vs machines were all people powered.)
The machine looks nice, decals in good condition, not silvered. The pattern is something I have not seen before - It looks like a coat of arms on the bed of the machine. There is a pattern of grape(?) leaves in decals. The face plate has a pretty pattern of grape vines on it. (I have not figured out yet how to post pics since the board changed, or I would be doing that.)

Were the vs machines electric as well as people powered? And what size is a 128?

ThayerRags 02-15-2012 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4977864)
You are right it doesn't work as is - I tried it - it may work with a notched hand wheel

I guess I’m not following. I can’t see how it would work any better with a notched wheel than a spoked wheel, if the center of the crank doesn’t line up with the center of the wheel....

CD in Oklahoma

miriam 02-15-2012 01:25 PM

Ok I see what you are saying. What I was saying, is if you put the spoke wheel on it doesn't allow enough room to screw on the HC but the regular hand wheel will fit at the same time as the HC. I think you may be right about it not working because it is a bit off. BUMMER. I'll take another look at that. Thanks.

Candace 02-15-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom (Post 4977949)
I was haunting the local antique mall today. I found what appears to be a 3/4 size machine. The serial number is G9849378. The chart identifies it as a 128, the number allotted to a batch of 15000 on Feb 19, 1923. It has a shuttle and bobbin in place, is missing 1/2 the plate (front). What baffles me is that it is electric, with a knee control. I think this is the way it originally was sold, as the case has the receptor for the knee control. (I thought the vs machines were all people powered.)
The machine looks nice, decals in good condition, not silvered. The pattern is something I have not seen before - It looks like a coat of arms on the bed of the machine. There is a pattern of grape(?) leaves in decals. The face plate has a pretty pattern of grape vines on it. (I have not figured out yet how to post pics since the board changed, or I would be doing that.)

Were the vs machines electric as well as people powered? And what size is a 128?

My 128 is electric and knee controlled. It is indeed a 3/4 machine.

vintagemotif 02-15-2012 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent some time today changing the belt on my Singer 328k in treadle. I exchanged the leather belt with a rubber aquarium hose. I also smoothed down the ruff edges where the belt hits machine by rounding out those edges with a metal file. Why I didn't think of that before, I have no idea. I recently removed the machine from the straight-leg treadle into the standard treadle (what I call standard) when I purchased the Necchi Supernova. This setup for the 328k is so so much easier to treadle, like night and day. After taping the two ends of the hosing together with packing tape (to hold them together), I sewed them together with dental floss like I would for a leather belt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312334[/ATTACH]