Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

MarieM 04-01-2011 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
The 401 takes cams, the easy to find top-hat style. I agree I wouldn't want to haul a 401 to class, but if all other things were equal (cost, condition, etc.) and I could only have one machine, I would definitely prefer a 401.

Well, I just took my 503a to class! It probably weighs the same as the 401 - wasn't a big deal. I took another Patchabilities class and needed a button hole stitch, which top hat cam #8 does! I'm with you Miz Johnny, if I wanted a good machine with decorative stitches, I'd go for the 401.

Nancy

What is a Patchabilities class?

chergram 04-01-2011 06:49 AM

hello billy and all I have fornd my singer feather weigh machine but the problem is bobbin winder is broke off the person that has it says i could get someone to weld it back do you know if i could and if so where I am waiting to hear back from someone before i buy today at 12 thanks

purplefiend 04-01-2011 07:14 AM

[quote=BoJangles]

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
For anyone in the north eastern Massachusetts there is a really nice Wheeler and Wilson sewing machine and gorgeous coffin top cabinet for only $70.00 :shock:

Here is the CL link:http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/atq/2297262273.html

OMG that Wheeler and Wilson is beautiful! I wish I lived closer to Boston. :(
Sharon W. in Texas

Sharon that cabinet is beautiful, I think it is the same cabinet as my Wheeler & Wilson from Portugal on page 419. Does anyone here actually sew on their Wheeler & Wilson's? I love to use my Singer 9W (basically the same thing), but I have not sewn on the W&W except to see if it works ok? To me the W&W's are a class above the rest!

Nancy

I wish that was mine! But sadly its not.. :oops: :(

Lostn51 04-01-2011 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by chergram
hello billy and all I have fornd my singer feather weigh machine but the problem is bobbin winder is broke off the person that has it says i could get someone to weld it back do you know if i could and if so where I am waiting to hear back from someone before i buy today at 12 thanks

They have them brand new and I think I have a couple here. PM me for details.

Billy

dirty1mom 04-01-2011 08:09 AM

Billy, Is there anything I can use besides the kerosene to clean? Too cold outside and want to finish what I started. Thank you.

jljack 04-01-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
My ebay buy arrived yesterday...1910 "redeye" with case and luckily bobbin case. She does work but needs a good oiling. I won the bid with 14 others already bidding. I waited for the last few seconds in hopes of winning high bid...and I did all of 55.00 plus 27 shipping...not bad...

I also was lucky enough to find a 1951 301 at a local school tag sale on Sat. I loved seeing all your vintage machines and felt the need to join the club. Went out to the sale just in hopes of finding either a featherweight or 301...prefering the 301 based on gear driven. Got there right as the doors opened at 9 and ran thru only looking for the machines...
Well just as I was abt to leave, hitting the last table a man stood in the way and as he moved "there she was"...OH MY, I couldn't get to her fast enough to see her condition, if she had a bobbin case and worked. Knowing what to look for thanks to all of you.
They stated they did not know if she worked, selling "as is" and I inspected but no bobbin case...But her body was in Mint Condition, not a scratch or ding on her...So I picked her up and off I went to pay her ticket price of $30.00...My sewing Angels have been with me and my recent finds. I took her down to our local Singer dealership who specialize in fixing vintage Singers and she'll be ready to go by Sat. She just needs a good tuneup of oil, and a few minor replacements i.e. foot pedal.
Now it's the hunt for a White Featherweight reasonably priced...I'll need more then one Angel for that....

Your black 301 looks just like mine!!! I got it only a couple of months ago off of eBay. I LOVE her!! They are so sweet to sew on. She is my "traveling" partner for guild, friendship group and classes. Love that she is so light and no extras to have to pack to take with.

Lostn51 04-01-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Billy, Is there anything I can use besides the kerosene to clean? Too cold outside and want to finish what I started. Thank you.

Hmmm Go Jo for the finish and you can get a little Q Tip with some kerosene and wipe the mechanics with it. It is mainly used for getting the old oil and built up crud off of the mechanics. You would be surprised at how well a hair drier and sewing machine oil works for loosening a machine back up and getting the oil to go where it needs to.

Billy

dirty1mom 04-01-2011 08:35 AM

Thanks Billy. Considering how long this machine was in my Mom's attic it is surprisingly clean inside. I think being locked inside a wooden case helped. Everything seems to be moving pretty easily. I only had to use 2 little squirts of wd40 and that was on 2 little screws I was afraid of breaking.

fabric whisperer 04-01-2011 01:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok, Billy or Nancy or anyone ~ got this cabinet today ~ can you tell me anything about her? Minus the machine, its made for a smaller-than-full-size machine... but what was inside the cabinet is what got me! And I think hubby can just build me a support plate that ANY machine can sit on, but still leave room for the treadle belt...

And the price was excellent on this ~ free :)

cabinet closed up ~ would be good for any machine just sitting on it... or my crochet project basket...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178277[/ATTACH]

cabinet opened up from front ~ there is also a back door for service access
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178278[/ATTACH]

closeup of treadle foot iron
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178279[/ATTACH]

I love the intricate designs on the hinges!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]178281[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 04-01-2011 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MarieM
Well, I just took my 503a to class! It probably weighs the same as the 401 - wasn't a big deal. I took another Patchabilities class and needed a button hole stitch, which top hat cam #8 does! I'm with you Miz Johnny, if I wanted a good machine with decorative stitches, I'd go for the 401.

Nancy

What is a Patchabilities class?

This is a Patchabilities! I used the 503a with the #8 top hat cam for the blanket stitch!

Nancy