Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 04-28-2011 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so I've been snooping on the Singer site www.singerco.com/support/serial to try to figure out the "birthdate" for my FW. The SN is FA104163, I see it was made in Scotland but other than that I'm not able to establish a date or even a year. Did I go to the wrong site or did I do something wrong? I appreicate any help.

MarieM, I don't know if this has been answered or not? Some of Singer's records just were not kept. Your machine was made as you said in Scotland sometime after 1935, but the Singer site does not list the allotted dates for the FA series. I also looked in the "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable by Nancy Johnson-Srebro to see if she found out anything more as she has done extensive research on the FW. She states ," FA - no mention of the FA series at Clydebank."

Sorry we couldn't help. It is fun to know the correct year of your machine.

Nancy

BoJangles 04-28-2011 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Sometimes bases come up on Ebay. BTW, I have had 15-91s in bentwood cases; they do fit.
The paper-covered cases from the 50s will usually work as well as the modern plastic ones. You have lots of choices!!

Miz Johnny, it is nice to read that the bentwood cases will fit the 15-91. Put more interesting that the paper-covered plastic ones could work also!

Miz Johnny I had never heard the term "Vindex B" type of tension. Does that mean all those type machines fall under that category? Like my New Home T No 3 with the same tension setup?

Nancy

Also, I am so glad you kept the kids safe and sound! What an experience for them!

dirty1mom 04-28-2011 06:44 AM

Billy, Are you and your family ok?

mpeters1200 04-28-2011 07:33 AM

Couple things...

1. I hope Billy and his family are ok as well as our other quilting friends down south.

2. Since I have to put the needles into the singer 66 sideways, it won't accommodate a double needle will it?

BoJangles 04-28-2011 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Nancy...when I did some research on my 1917 Western Electric SM, I found out that National made them for Western Electric for only 2 years 1917 & 1918, then Graybar took the model because WE didn't want to continue it. Just another little detail of the history.

That is interesting. The sewing machine wars - the changes from one company to another - makes it really hard sometimes to figure out which one made which machine! Thanks for the added information on Graybar. The Graybar machine I looked out was different from Monica's in that it had a transverse shuttle.

Nancy

sewbizgirl 04-28-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Are all cams machine specific, or are they interchangeable from one cam using machine to another?

I think they are machine specific but some models may use the same cams I'm not sure on that one. Billy would know. My 306k has to have the zz cam in even if I just want to do a straight stitch, don't know why.

In the Singer line, they are somewhat interchangable. There are several machines that use the black cams, and then the later, 60's-70's model machines used white cams. You can use any black cam in a black cam machine, and any white cam in a white cam machine, but you can't use white in black, or vice versa.

Some of the models were made with some basic built-in stitches, and then took cams for extra sts beyond that. Other models were made with NO built in sts, and it took cams to create all the sts. That would be why you need the basic ZZ cam in place to sew a straight st.

This is the basic difference between the 401 and the 403. The machines are identical except that the 401 has some built in sts (hence the big dial button, front and center) and also takes cams, and the 403 has no built in sts, and uses cams for all sts. I believe the 500a and the 503 Rocketeers are the same way-- one has some built-ins and the other has none.

The 306, 319, 328 (and machines in that particular line) and even some of today's modern Singers take a flat cam. The 400 and 500 series machines take the "top hat" cam; and later machines were built to use the "flexi stitch" white cams.
In general, cams are not usable from one brand of machines to another: Elnas have their own type cam, Necchis have theirs, etc.

Ah... forgot about the flat cams! So the rule of thumb is: You use only the cams your machine was built to use, but several machines were made to use the same cams.

BoJangles 04-28-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Hi Billy,

I have just gotten a 15-91 off ebay.... I have found two things that I need!! First is a bobbin case and the second is a light bulb... the shell of the bulb was in the light fixture.. it is a screw in type, can you still get that type? online I have seen but the push in type and is that usable? And what is a reasonable price for a bobbin case?? Thanks so much,

Sharon

Sharon, congratulations on your 15-91. It really looks to be in great shape overall! You will love that machine. I love the 15 series, especially the clones!

Nancy

sewbizgirl 04-28-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
Here's another one.....$500!!!! It must be gold plated!!! NO???? Well.....then, how about $100?

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/atq/2334938747.html

Lots of people ask for the Moon on Craigslist. Since there's no charge for ads, they have no incentive to sell quickly... When they get to the point where they really want to sell it, the price will come down. I don't even give the high priced ads a second thought. When they finally want it gone, they will probably sell it cheap to a family member or friend.

sewbizgirl 04-28-2011 07:47 AM

VERY scary day full of tornadoes down here yesterday! We are safe, but there were so many tornadoes it was unbelievable. And so many lives lost! I was driving when one of the tornadoes was passing, maybe 10 miles away. The siren came on, and for the first time in my life I heard a man's voice come out of the speaker telling everyone to "take cover". I just drove faster, as we have a full underground basement in our house. My son is in Memphis where they were pretty hard hit, too. (Not him, tho...thank the Lord.) I had the lanterns out, but we never lost power.

On the upside, I finished the two outfits I was sewing for my daughter's two neices. I did most of it on the 66. These are the outfits I was making the ruffles for, with my ruffler attachement I spoke of earlier. If you want to see them:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-119400-1.htm#3130865

BoJangles 04-28-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by luce321
Judy, Thank you so much for the information. I read it and am sure I can do it. Haven't tried yet but will do so soon. I have been in a mess for about five days. A pipe broke in my bedroom wall leading to the bathroom, and what a mess. I've had the plumber out and SurfPro to disenfect the area. They had to take down lots of the sheetrock as it evidentally had been leaking for sometime and had lots of mold. It will be another week or more before it is completed and new carpet down. To make it worse all this is going on while I have been taking medical tests this week. The adjuster is coming tomorrow and I dread it. They have already told me on the phone that they will not pay for the mold and will not pay for the plumber's labor and to replace the pipe. I wonder why I carry insurance at all.

Sorry, to complain but venting seems to help. Thanks again so much. Incidentally, I have asked several questions since I joined this site and you are the only one that has answered my posts. I must have been doing something incorrect.

Lucy, so sorry to hear of your water, mold problem. Geeze, always something! Lucy, I think several people have tried to answer your posts, I know I have. Anyway, keep your good attitude and don't give up, we all try to help if we can - I think sometimes life just happens and maybe a post gets skipped. It is not on purpose so don't be afraid to post again and again if need be!

Nancy