Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Mornigstar 05-15-2011 02:24 PM

Trying to add photo of Chopping Block Table with Machine Irons but after one hr can not move photo from Kodak Easy share to this place . Will have to phone Kodak on Mon as I am s ooooo frustrated. Found photo, found file number can see pic but can not get them here.

Reason I was here as I am also redoing a 128 in cabinet.
Oh well back to the topic.

HanNatNana 05-15-2011 03:24 PM

[quote=Weedwoman]

Originally Posted by PJisChaos

Originally Posted by ewecansew

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by PJisChaos

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

I would love to see your treadle wall hanging that you started. Please post here. A number of us love to see more than the machines, quilting projects too!

Have fun treadling! :)

Love the quilt top! I didn't realize you were piecing the machines, I figured you were using a panel! I'd love to have that pattern - who makes the pattern? I could make that quilt with the colors of my machines!

Nancy

It is an old pattern from Mumm's the Word (Debbie Mumm) from 1989 called 'All Sewed Up'. It may have also been in one of her early books.

Yes, it is a Debbie Mumm pattern but is from a book called "Quick Country Quilting" published in 1992. I got the book at a shop here called 'Half-Price Books' for $4 so couldn't pass it up.

fatcatpatterns.com has some cute patterns, one for FW just click on the sewing tab then on the upper tab over the FWs

Has anyone embroidered the Featherweight design on a quilt or machine cover? I don't have the design, nor do I own an F/W but remember seeing it a few years ago and thought it would be a nice addition.

Here's a couple of designs that google so kindly found...

<http://perfectlittlestitches.com/products.asp?cat=23>

<http://www.embroidery.com/product.as...=55860&EFID=71>

<http://www.scribd.com/doc/22616060/F...-Machine-Cover>

The last one is applique but thought someone might be interested. I'll have to look for embroidery designs for my old machines so I can make covers...all of my Janomes have their own quilted cover!!

Bronwyn ;-)

chris_quilts 05-15-2011 03:41 PM

Billy; Rehomed one of my machines today. It is a Universal sewing machine, tan in color. Her model # is DST and her serial # is 6546. She also has J-A23 and J-C4 stamped on her body. You were/are collecting records on these numbers, I think. She has up and down buttons in front of her right arm that I couldn't figure out what they did but delinted and debugger her and she sewed a really nice straight stitch. She came with a package of size 18 needles and 4 bobbins. Cannot imagine what the gal used those 18 needles for because she was sewing primarily baby clothes with the machine. I did give my girlfriend my last package of Singer needles, plus some srap fabric and older thread so she could play with the machine. I will get a picture of her, if you want, for your records. ~ Chris

irishrose 05-15-2011 04:00 PM

romanojg, the 128 is an electric machine. The cords are wired into the motor, not plug in. Mine is supposed to be for sale, but she's too cute to part with and too heavy to ship.

Mornigstar, can you save the pics to your computer, then access them from there? That's how I deal with EasyShare.

Quiltgranny 05-15-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
It's a done deal. I got the Singer 201 in cabinet with stool. Machine was frozen. But I did some minor work on site and got it moving again. Powered it up (potted motor)and she sewed a nice stitch and almost silent. . . until the race flew out of place. I casually picked up the pieces, put them in a drawer, and said I can work on that when I get home. No need to take any more of your time.;-)

The grand son handed me the stool, gram ma started giving me boxes of parts, and off to the van we marched. He got a hand truck, and loaded it. Then, they decided to unload a lot of sewing supplies. The room was so congested with quilts, fabric, pillows, and artificial flowers one could hardly move. So, $35 later, a new machine, and a van load of fabric. (She had worked at Carol Fabrics for over 20 years and had a lot of Carol left overs.) Not only that - they will call me as they empty out the room. They need to get it empty to convert it back to a bed room. I told her I'd take anything she didn't want - don't throw anything away. They have no idea what is in that room, or what it goes to. Lots of cams, slant-o-matic parts, I think she picked up Singer parts at the flea markets, then got home and didn't have a machine to fit the parts. Eighty years old, she was telling me stories about people and how they swapped machines around, and they died. . . the story would change I don't know if I heard one all the way through.

Anyway, the machine looked real clean, just gummed with age. The only problems I saw were a burned out light bulb, and the ink well is missing. The cabinet appears to have water damage, probably from a wet carpet, and the veiner is slightly pealed. I think I did OK. Picks when I get the manpower to get it unloaded.

Congratulations on your 201! I recently got one too, in a parlor cabinet. I'm wondering just what the "ink well" is that you mention above. I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks so much,

Karla

Mornigstar 05-15-2011 06:11 PM

Thank you Irishrose
I will make a folder with just the photo's I want to send to this forum and then try and send. I did it once for what I titled "My Experimental Quilt" so I know there is a way .
Easy share doesn't always come thru as easy.
I do send emails with them but it is not the same to the
quilt Bd.

Originally Posted by irishrose
romanojg, the 128 is an electric machine. The cords are wired into the motor, not plug in. Mine is supposed to be for sale, but she's too cute to part with and too heavy to ship.

Mornigstar, can you save the pics to your computer, then access them from there? That's how I deal with EasyShare.

olebat 05-15-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

Originally Posted by olebat
. . .
Anyway, the machine looked real clean, just gummed with age. The only problems I saw were a burned out light bulb, and the ink well is missing. The cabinet appears to have water damage, probably from a wet carpet, and the veiner is slightly pealed. I think I did OK. Picks when I get the manpower to get it unloaded.

Congratulations on your 201! I recently got one too, in a parlor cabinet. I'm wondering just what the "ink well" is that you mention above. I'd love to know more about that.

Thanks so much,

Karla

"Modern in design, this sewing cabinet also serves as a writing desk of unusual beauty. Three spacious drawers provide ample room for all sewing accessories, stationery and correspondence, while a fourth contains a built-in inkwell and pen and pencil tray.
This strikingly designed cabinet is Model 42. A special matching stool, with leatherette cover in harmonious shade is available for use with this cabinet.
Model 42 is supplied only with Singer DeLuxe Machine Head No. 201-2 - the "Aristocrat" of sewing machines."

From the brochure which came with the machine. The top left drawer has a small shelf with a hole where the ink well would sit. It was a glass jar, not as deep as a straight pin. There was a lid with a marble-like apparatus in the lid to prevent spills. An extension of this shelf runs the entire length of the drawer, where the fountain pen and a pencil could rest. When the machine was lowered, and both side wings were closed, the cabinet could double as any fine piece of furniture, epically that of a ladies writing desk.

vintagemotif 05-15-2011 06:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

m
There are different types of cams for different machines.
Photo of flat cams for my 328k and a photo of the Singer 328k in treadle.

So those are cams. The machine has to have those to make decorative stitches right? How do they work? Having one on, does it somehow change how and when the needle comes down to create the stitches? While those are super neat and I've not seen them before, they would seem to make a machine really complicated to use.

Thanks for posting pictures. It was hard to picture in my head what those look like. The light bulb went on and I understood!

My mom sewed all our clothes for as long as she could. She would skim through penny's and ward's catalogues and pick things for us. We got to pick one or two things we liked. Then, we'd come in from playing one day and the clothes would be on our beds to put away. I had no idea that she made them, especially without a pattern, until much, much later. I only have a couple memories of when she had the machine out.

I posted picture of where the cams get positioned in the machine. The cams sit on disc spindle under the large silver thumb screw. You can find a Singer 328 manual online that has directions for using the cams.

My mom mainly made her own clothes, but from time to time she would make a dress or coat for others. She made me a beautiful navy blue wool coat when I was around six. I loved that coat! I wish she had kept it, but she donated it to a child who needed a warm coat after I had outgrown the coat. At least the coat served a better purpose than sitting in a box waiting for me to open it every 10 years to admire, it kept a child warm. And the beautiful Necchi machine went off to a woman that needed a sewing machine when my mom decided she wanted her Bernina 830, some 30 years ago.

Your mom sounds very special. She left you with wonderful memories. Now, you can make wonderful quilts with your vintage machines for your children. And maybe leave a vintage machine for one of them.:)

cam with decorative stitching on fabric
[ATTACH=CONFIG]197622[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 05-15-2011 07:12 PM

[quote=Lostn51]

Oh everytime I see your machine I can not wait to get mine going! But I will not mess with it until I get all of my customers out of the way and I do a repaint (which will be a Candy Brandywine). I am looking so forward to getting my studio back up and running so I can have a quilting area separate from the service and collection.

Billy

Oh, "Hank" is a wonderful machine! I had fun testing out all the decorative stitches. And I have used it to add decorative stitching to my latest quilt binding, always fun doing that.

Your machine will look wonderful in your custom cabinet. I'm looking forward to how you go about correcting the problem of the treadle belt hitting the metal part of the machine under the bobbin area without cutting the metal area out like some others have done. I don't like the idea of defacing my machine; so, I will just live with the little bit of rubbing that the belt does against the metal for now.

Have fun with this project!

vintagemotif 05-15-2011 07:15 PM

[quote=Weedwoman][quote=PJisChaos][quote=ewecansew][quote=BoJangles][quote=PJisChaos]

fatcatpatterns.com has some cute patterns, one for FW just click on the sewing tab then on the upper tab over the FWs

Thanks for the link info! That is a cute pattern too.