Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

buslady 05-23-2011 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.

fraid so. she had $95 on it, dont know if she would deal. its on Mission, west side of road, north of where jcpenny, joannes, and those stores are. i would have gotten it if i could have, but money too tight. i know u want a buttonholer, thats why i thought of u. LOL oops! replied to wrong post. was answering Irish Rose!

Crossstitcher 05-23-2011 05:52 PM

Well I am now the proud owner of a monogramer. I just won it on e bay along with 2 buttonholers, an embroidery foot plus other things I don't know what yet. Some kind of kit that shows you how to make your own patterns? Should get it all by the end of the week.

a1crafter 05-23-2011 05:56 PM

Has anyone else had problems with the presser foot handle not raising the presser foot on a 301A? Is there an easy fix? I have not done machine repair, but I am game to try. Where would I get repair parts and where can I find instructions to repair this. I looked for a free repair manual for the 301A but could not locate one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cabbagepatchkid 05-23-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
Hmmmmmmmmmm - my "newer" Singer that I picked up at a garage sale for $5 is one of those plastic ones with the Model 774 on the front, but it doesn't say "Touch and Sew". Anyone know anything about the 774?

I know about the 774!! I have one that I bought in 1975 and I still have it. I'm very nostalgic about it because I used to sew clothing for myself and my kids on it. I also sewed my first quilt on it back in the early '80's.

It is called a "Stylist". Models 774 and 734 are the same except the 774 has the hinged bed for free arm sewing. It makes a great button-hole. When I bought it I took a class at the Singer store to learn how to use it and I was taught how to make the buttonholes during that class. I'm so glad that I did because I had never made a buttonhole before and found it to be easy and sort of fun using this machine.

BoJangles 05-23-2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I felt the same way, wanting to meet others that had vintage machine and used them too. Purplefiend, Sharon, mentioned Threadleon, so I became a member. You may want to look for someone that way. After posting I'm a newbie looking to meet other that use vintage machines on the local Threadlon group, CA, they decided to have a mini meet in Sacramento area. Just a bit of a drive for me, but I going!

Nancy and Kathie, are either of you members of Threaleon?
The meeting is coming up, beginning of June. I would love to meet up with you too.

I am not a member and I am having one of those evenings! I am a member of Yahoo Groups, but can't for the life of me get signed on! I have tried everything short of signing up as a new member. I don't want to mess up the group I am in now! I was going to join Treadleon, but I may 'have' to register with Yahoo as a new member to do that. I can't come on the 4th anyway, that is high school graduation day for one of our grandsons.

Nancy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
In the 500A that I just got recently, If it is not threaded it will sit and "sew" like mad. No catching or glitches or anything.

Go look for another machine, 301, 201, FW, 15s. They work, and easy to repair. I forgot what machines you already have, but don't waste your time on that one.

I don't agree with Monica on this one. I love my 503a! I would rather use that machine for decorative stitches than my $7,000 Pfaff! It is a great machine and it really looks cool too! I use that 503a for all my decorative stitches now -- I love to do the little Patchabilities and Monthly Mini's. I put the appliques' on with a decorative stitch or use #8 cam -- don't get rid of that machine!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Kathie, Your GNO sounds like so much fun. Maybe we can start a San Diego chapter. Anyone, besides Billy, interested?

I couldn't commit to a weekly, but maybe monthly get together.

Lisa

We only meet once a month!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
Ok, so here is a photo of my first HC. I know that most of you have a much nicer and stronger maching but a girls got to start some where.

Marie, that is sooo cute!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-23-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Hi Everyone, My DH brought in this machine in today..one of his golfing buddies gave it to me. It came with the accessories/manual and 16 cams :-D :-D After reading the problems with the Touch and Sew 758.. I'm wondering if I'm going to have a problem with the bobbin winder. The button that has to move to the left to engage the winder doesn't move to the left. All it does is just wiggle and I'm afraid to push too hard..I don't want to break it. Is there anyone here that is knows more about this bobbin winder? I haven't checked it out yet or tried to wind a bobbin...maybe I should first. I will do that now. Anne

Ann, What model is that machine?

Nancy

Honchey 05-23-2011 07:38 PM

Hi Nancy, It's a Touch and Sew zig zag # 758. It has the cams 16 of them...slant needle. I got the bobbin winder going.. the button that you have to move to the left was kind of stuck but I got it moving from underneath. It has a very nice stitch. The photos are on page 1094. I now also have a 403 besides my 500A...both of which didn't come with anything besides the foot on the machine. I can now use the attachments from this machine for them? Anne