Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Jennifer22206 05-17-2011 05:11 PM

Hehe! I probably won't be done, just done for a little while. When I get a hand-crank machine, that'll bring me to 5 vintage and 3 more modern machines.

cherrybsixty 05-17-2011 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty
Hi everyone, My 'pillque' (computer) went down about three weeks ago, and it took me a little while to get up and running again. It has taken me two weeks to get caught up with you guys and dolls. First, may I send out my condolences to all who have endures losses of love one's. May I send blessing to who have made it through the storms, fires, and floodings. May I send congrats to all who have obtain new acquired ladies. May I wish everyone a belated 'Mother's day. I thank all of you for the very much welcome shared knowledge concerning these percious ladies. And last, I'd like to share I have acquired two ancient beauties of my own. One an ancient hand pieced, hand appliqued, hand quilted QULIT. The other is a FW. I know, you want to see pictures. I have to take pics, first and then I can post them. Oh yea, the quilt may be 60 to 80 years old. The speciality cleaners is quessing that age, because of the fabric that it is made with. Let me say good blessings to all.

Congrats on your finds! I would love to see pictures of the quilt. Please post!

Monica, I really got to post the Quilt, it's a long story and I've told it before in the 'Main' section. I'll get my DGD to help me post pics.

Is this the quilt that some guy was going to trash, but you rescued? A quilt from early 1900s? I would love to see this quilt!

He was using it to work on the ground and he had been using it to work on cars. There were oil stains and mildew and paint stains all in it. The cleaner did an awesome job. He sold it to me for the cost of the cleaning.

HisPatchwork 05-17-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
A link showing my new "lady" before and after... :)

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-123819-1.htm#3272086

She is beautiful!

sew wishful 05-17-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by sew wishful
Okay, all my "know it all" friends!! I have a featherweight that I have pieced quilts on, but now it seems the bobbin shuttle(?) goes all the way around. Shouldn't it go one way for a bit and then back a bit or is it supposed to go all the way around?? The bobbin won't seat itself and therefore won't sew. I can't think of a thing I've done, other that remove the bobbin to rewind it. I'm stumped.
I'm wondering if I should tip it up on end to get a good look. I need to get a place in the garage to work on a few machines, but hubby is not loosening his grip!

check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there

Thanks, Miriam....my next move was to inspect that area and try to seat the bobbin again. I'm pretty sure it's just operator error...it was working up until the bobbin needed replacing!

SewExtremeSeams 05-17-2011 06:59 PM

Okay, all my "know it all" friends!! I have a featherweight that I have pieced quilts on, but now it seems the bobbin shuttle(?) goes all the way around. Shouldn't it go one way for a bit and then back a bit or is it supposed to go all the way around?? The bobbin won't seat itself and therefore won't sew. I can't think of a thing I've done, other that remove the bobbin to rewind it. I'm stumped.
I'm wondering if I should tip it up on end to get a good look. I need to get a place in the garage to work on a few machines, but hubby is not loosening his grip!

check out page 8 or 9 in the operator manual
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Figure 12 look at B2 and A2
Then on the next page there is a "CAUTION: If the throat plate is removed for cleaning the stitch forming mechanism, etc., make certain when replacing the throat plate that the position finger (A2) enters the notch (B2) of the position plate attached to the under side of the throat plate."

those old manuals have a lot of info - it might pay to check in there

Miriam, thanks for the link. I have the manual but the online manuel shows everything on a larger scale. I will try to follow those directions tomorrow. I hope it works. I truly miss my FW. Thank you. :-D

Lostn51 05-17-2011 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Hi Becky ~ It's a Tucker :)

Judy

You call that a tucker........... This is a Tucker!! :mrgreen:

[img]http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...1/48tucker.jpg[/img]

Billy

Oooh, Billy....I LOVE THAT Tucker!!!! Is it yours??? I'm swooning!!!

I wish there were only 49 of these cars ever made. There was one found in my city and I knew the car and the guy that had it and he was in the hospital and then someone took the car and it has never been seen again.

Billy

Lostn51 05-17-2011 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by greenini
If any one wants an actual book about sewing machine attachments I can recommend "the Sewing Machine Attachment Book" by Charlene Phillips. It has general machine info, shank determination info and info on how to use all those fun & mysterious attachments. List price is $16.99, but I'm pretty sure I paid a bit less, maybe on Amazon?

You can find that book for free on the Smithsonian website.

I will see if I can find the link for you guys!

Billy

Lostn51 05-17-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Billy,
When that little girl is old like me and that machine is still running, somebody is still going to be trying to figure that one out. 'oD

Can you imagine what people 100 years from now are going to think? Between the paint jobs, taking motors off and putting machines in treadles, modifying machines to fit in treadles, piecing treadles together of different brands, -- this is going to drive someone crazy some day!

Nancy

Yeah I hope that one day they will look at the repaint that I have done like an Andy Warhol painting. He has always been one of my favorite artist and he is one of my influences when it comes to my painting .

Billy

irishrose 05-17-2011 07:31 PM

Charlee, I printed what you used on the cabinet. It looks wonderful. I have my 128's bentwood case and my Leader's treadle cabinet to do. Thank you.

sew wishful 05-17-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Hi Becky ~ It's a Tucker :)

Judy

You call that a tucker........... This is a Tucker!! :mrgreen:

[img]http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/...1/48tucker.jpg[/img]

Billy

Oooh, Billy....I LOVE THAT Tucker!!!! Is it yours??? I'm swooning!!!

I wish there were only 49 of these cars ever made. There was one found in my city and I knew the car and the guy that had it and he was in the hospital and then someone took the car and it has never been seen again.

Billy

I can see someone taking a sewing machine and it never turning up again, but a car??? How on earth?? Repaint and an old shed hiding a new shed to keep the old one from falling in on the vehicle. LOL! I'd trade the machine tucker for this one any day! Just saying!