Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 10-16-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Janis

Originally Posted by jljack
Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!

That sounds exciting. I just looked up on the net to see what they look like. A neat old machine. I know nothing about them. About how old a machine are they? I want to see pictures of your machine too.

The first patent for a Davis machine was 1860. My machine is from approximately 1887-1888.

Here's a bit of history about Job Davis:
http://www.vdta.com/HOF/Davis.html

These machines were a popular export to Australia...I think because the competition made it difficult to get a start in the US and be successful.

Charlee 10-16-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
I removed the shuttle-race and shuttle and gave them a good cleaning. That was easy. The manual does not show the red plastic thing at the bottom of the shuttle race. Among some of the paperwork that was taped in the cabinet was a round tag that said that stated that Quote: a "SHUT-L-KLEEN" had been installed on this machine for your sewing machine convenience, NO JAMMED MACHINE WITH SHUT-L-KLEEN, prevents clogging by lint or thread. Now I don't know if the tag pertains to Marilyn or some other machine. There was an instruction book for "The Eldredge Two Spool Sewing Machine" along with the Belair manual. So, who knows? I think that the only reason both the manuals survived was that they were taped to the inside of the cabinet and were very oil soaked.

I think that the cabinet Marilyn came in is much older than she is. I have never seen one like it. The oval top folds back and rests on a pull out support to create a table. Really cool. But it looks as if it spent some time in a garage because the top is marred by what looks like paint can rings, scratches and one big cigarette burn.

That is a COOL cabinet!! I love it...more so than the machine! And I like that machine too! :lol:

Caroline S 10-16-2011 09:44 PM

Yep, I agree with you. It was the sewing machine cabinet that caught my eye first. Marilyn was just lucky to be in it.

jljack 10-16-2011 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!

WOOOHOO!! I haven't played with mine enough yet, just enough to know that she sews! :) (I need to do that!)

Did you know that the Davis VF was engineered to sew 1200 stitches per minute? That's incredibly FAST! I know mine whips right along, but I don't think I have a piece of fabric long enough to test the theory! :lol:

WOW!! That is fast!! Almost as fast as my Babylock QCP!! And there's about 100 years between them!! LOL Amazing!

jljack 10-16-2011 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
I think I read somewhere on the vintage site that 15-91 and featherweight accessories were interchangeable. Can someone affirm or deny that for me please. Ann in TN

I think that all low shank feet will fit on any other low shank machine. Maybe some of the newer more expensive machin have just special feet that will fit on just them, but all of my machines have low shank feet and will interchange. Haven't done it with snap-on feet though. Am I correct in this thinking?

I think that is exactly right, Janis. I have used my low shank feet on my Babylock, my Brother and my Singers. They all work on them all.

jljack 10-16-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Originally Posted by miriam

Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?

If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.

You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?

If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.

Thanks Charlee. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new VSM owner. I'm not sure what clamps are. Do you mean the screw that holds the feet on? That thing is on the side of the needle. There is a little lever on the back of the needle area that drops the foot off so you can put another one back on. When I remove the assembly to replace it with a walking foot, that screw is on the side. Does that help?

Also, the sew classic that everyone talks about, is that online or is it a brick and mortar shop somewhere?

Thank you.

Melissa

It's side clamping (or screw! ;) ) Sounds like it's got a modern foot assembly on it.

Sew Classic is an online shop...

I have to go hang out at sew classic then, see if I can find anything on my wish list. It does have a more modern foot assembly. I would love to have one of those little edger things. I used one with my friend and her bernina and I fell in love. They would make binding on the Singer SOOOO much easier...and some finishing touches on some other stuff I have around here.

Thanks again!

Melissa I have bought a bunch of stuff from Sew Classic and been very happy with their stuff and their service!!

jljack 10-16-2011 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl

Awesome! Can't wait to see it! :D

Sheryl I'm so excited to get this one. I fell in love with Monica's at the TOGA, and I have been looking for one ever since. Not a bad price...$61. And I got some attachments for $15.00 from the same seller...so I am excited to get it to see what all I got!! :-)

jljack 10-16-2011 09:58 PM

That sounds exciting. I just looked up on the net to see what they look like. A neat old machine. I know nothing about them. About how old a machine are they? I want to see pictures of your machine too.

The cool thing about the Davis Vertical Feed machines is that they have no feed dogs...the foot and needle move the fabric forward. It's really a cool thing...I fell in love with vintagemotif's machine at the TOGA in September, and I really wanted one since then.

jljack 10-16-2011 10:07 PM

The first patent for a Davis machine was 1860. My machine is from approximately 1887-1888.

Here's a bit of history about Job Davis:
http://www.vdta.com/HOF/Davis.html

These machines were a popular export to Australia...I think because the competition made it difficult to get a start in the US and be successful.

Thanks for that info, Charlee...

Here's a pic of my machine -- this is the pic from eBay, so it's not good. http://www.ebay.com/itm/230684835535?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

olebat 10-17-2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Olebat, You did a very nice job of displaying all those cool vintage ladies. That must have been fun setting up the displays. I would have fun doing that job! And I love seeing the vintage machines on display at quilting shows!

Thanks, but I must admit that it was hard work. Thanks to many wonderful guild members who helped unload the machines from the trailer, and position them in key locations, (so visitors wouldn't trip over the frame supports), and the decorators who wrapped the supports and artfully positioned the Fall decorations, I was spared a lot of lifting and bending. I gave each machine and cabinet a quick polish, threaded them with a wooden spool thread, and set the information card on a vintage, hand pieced GFG. A few loose flowers and or leaves were scattered about for a final touch.

While we're talking about shows - Our exhibit hall had a powerful AC which blew papers all over the place. I brought my sacks of marbles, (proving that I had not completely lost them), as weights. I once got a real good deal on those little organza favor bags, filled them with the flat marbles and tied them closed. I use them for balloon weights. The silent auction table put them to good use holding down the bidding sheets. That's what I happened to have, but it would be real cute to wrap the weights in charm squares or home spun.