Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 10-16-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S
My Belair 929 (circa late 1950s?). Billy thinks she was made by Morse. She's a "dirty girl" and has seen a lot of use judging from the wear on the front of the bed. The foot controller was cut off and I had an EUREKA moment when I realized that I did have a foot control that came with the Plymouth, a model 15 Japanese clone, that I purchased last July. I plugged her in and she runs. Now to begin the deep cleaning and oiling she needs. BTW, a manual came with her. Whoohooo!

What is the red plastic thing in the shuttle case?

I think I will name her Marilyn after Marilyn Monroe.

Marilyn was making my hand itch just to tear into it. I don't think she needs an all out deep clean - she appears in decent shape but dirty. The red thing is something you want to be very careful of. If it is suppose to be there you want to make sure you don't melt it cleaning the shuttle area. If it is just something to keep the machine from moving in transport it would come out but you don't want to do that if it is holding something else in place. It could be pretty fragile - check with a manual before you do much. If it isn't gummed up or rusted a good oiling might spick that area up enough to work well after you pull the shuttle out and clean any lint. The dirt will clean up and you will like that little machine.

mpeters1200 10-16-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
melissa, here is the link for Sew-Classic. It's the hyphen that makes it different.
http://www.sew-classic.com/

Thank you. I gotta go book mark that one.

mpeters1200 10-16-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by miriam

Do you know if the Vintage Singers had an edge foot? You Bernina owners probably know what I'm talking about. It's a skinny foot that has a guide on it that goes up against a seam, then it stitches just a few threads over from that. Where would I go to see if I could get one for a 66?

If the 66 is a regular short shank check with Jenny at Sew Classic - I've been wishing over on her site lately too.

You don't see triple posts very often. You are one talented poster! Anywho...I have heard of Sew Classic before, but I haven't been able to check out her site. Could you post the link? Also, I don't know if my 66 is a short shank or not. Does it say in the owner's manual?

If your 66 has a side clamp, then it will take regular short shank attachments. If it's a back clamp, you're limited.

Thanks Charlee. Please forgive my ignorance as I am a new VSM owner. I'm not sure what clamps are. Do you mean the screw that holds the feet on? That thing is on the side of the needle. There is a little lever on the back of the needle area that drops the foot off so you can put another one back on. When I remove the assembly to replace it with a walking foot, that screw is on the side. Does that help?

Also, the sew classic that everyone talks about, is that online or is it a brick and mortar shop somewhere?

Thank you.

Melissa

It's side clamping (or screw! ;) ) Sounds like it's got a modern foot assembly on it.

Sew Classic is an online shop...

I have to go hang out at sew classic then, see if I can find anything on my wish list. It does have a more modern foot assembly. I would love to have one of those little edger things. I used one with my friend and her bernina and I fell in love. They would make binding on the Singer SOOOO much easier...and some finishing touches on some other stuff I have around here.

Thanks again!

ncredbird 10-16-2011 05:07 PM

Thanks for the answer on the attachments for the low shank machines. Now I need to know what I can use to remove surface rust or corrosion from the chrome attachments, They aren't bad but they can't be used as they are. Ann

Glenn 10-16-2011 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Thanks for the answer on the attachments for the low shank machines. Now I need to know what I can use to remove surface rust or corrosion from the chrome attachments, They aren't bad but they can't be used as they are. Ann

Use evaporust and then polish with a chrome polish. Or ou can rub them down with very fine steel wool and kerosene before polishing.
glenn

QuiltnCowgirl 10-16-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Hey, Charlee & Monica & Nancy...guess what...I won a Davis Vertical Feed machine on auction this weekend, along with some attachments of some kind (haven't seen a good pic of them yet). It's just the machine, no cabinet or base, but I am sooo excited!!

Awesome! Can't wait to see it! :D

miriam 10-16-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by ncredbird

Use evaporust and then polish with a chrome polish. Or ou can rub them down with very fine steel wool and kerosene before polishing.
glenn

I used machine oil and some aluminum foil to polish up a bobbin case.

buslady 10-16-2011 06:39 PM

Havent been sewing a lot this summer, but decided to make dgs a cellphone case today. My modern Janome, which I really like, refuses to sew on some of the fabrics I llike to use for bags and such. But I can always count on my vintage. Every time this happens I ask myself why I wasnt using them in the first place. Just had to share this experience you all have discovered long ago.

miriam 10-16-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
Havent been sewing a lot this summer, but decided to make dgs a cellphone case today. My modern Janome, which I really like, refuses to sew on some of the fabrics I llike to use for bags and such. But I can always count on my vintage. Every time this happens I ask myself why I wasnt using them in the first place. Just had to share this experience you all have discovered long ago.

got rid of my Janome and haven't looked back. :mrgreen:

Candace 10-16-2011 06:50 PM

Miriam, what Janome did you have?