Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Bennett 10-22-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by miriam
I worked on the 319 today. What a mess. I'm going to make a post - I took a ton of pics so it maybe a long post. Here is a teaser I guess.

Can't wait to see the process. This is one on my "watch for " list. The keys on it are an interesting feature.

irishrose 10-22-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Janis
Irishrose, Is that a quilt shop in Cadillac? I'm glad that she got a good home.

Yes, it's the one downtown. The one E of town wouldn't have room for even a small treadle. The female half is the one who knows her older machines. Before she came over, her husband asked me about the motor. I had already told him it was an 1895 patent manufactured in 1904. But that's okay, he's excited about sandblasting her irons if his wife thinks they need it.

miriam 10-22-2011 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett

I worked on the 319 today. What a mess. I'm going to make a post - I took a ton of pics so it maybe a long post. Here is a teaser I guess.

Can't wait to see the process. This is one on my "watch for " list. The keys on it are an interesting feature.

right now the keys don't do much - the stack seems to suppose to turn a rod across the back which turns the needle bar. I don't want to use penetrating oil because I don't want to ruin the paint. I painted it up good with kerosene and I'll try hair dryer heat next time I'm over there - see if it will loosen up. I haven't figured out the big knob on the front yet either. I suppose I should read the manual shouldn't I.

purplefiend 10-22-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I'm picking up a set of straight leg Singer treadle irons tomorrow, it looks like its all there. My current Singer treadle like this is missing a bolt.

The irons are $15! :-D

http://austin.craigslist.org/atq/2609205647.html

Sharon W.

That's a great deal! Are you switching them out, or just swapping the bolt.

Mostly swapping the bolt, don't know what else. It depends on what condition they're in.[/quote]

The irons are in very good condition, only missing the belt shifter. I may just swap the irons out and take the belt shifter off the irons that is missing the bolt.
The man that sold them to me does a beautiful job of refinishing cabinets and machines. Lots of eye candy. He has a White Rotary in a twiggy cabinet and also a New Home in a twiggy cabinet. He is a woodworker and has replaced parts of the cabinets with new wood. Its just amazing what he's done with them. He repaints the treadle irons too. I was afraid that he might have been one of those nitwits that makes tables from the treadle irons and trashes the rest. I'm so relieved that he doesn't do that.
I may have him repair my oldest Singer coffin top, part of it is in poor condition and won't hold up the hinged piece on the right side.

quiltdoctor 10-22-2011 02:58 PM

Looks like you have a real fixer upper there . She will be fine once you get her cleaned up.

Texas Jan

Bennett 10-22-2011 03:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pick an excuse:

1. Yeah, I really do need one more thing on my to-do list. I'm like a squirrel, I have to pack them away for winter!
2. Ten years is a long time to be a doorstop. (Seriously, I didn't know...but I'm learning).
3. Once you've cleaned off a test spot and the serial number, you have to finish it.

I salvaged this from my Grammy's garage after she died. No one wanted it at the estate sales, and I thought it was too interesting to toss. I've no idea where she got it. She didn't sew. It's not a treadle machine that she salvaged the base from. I used it as a doorstop for the last decade, never crossed my mind it could be fixed or used. :oops:

Really, it's just missing 2 parts, but I ordered them both today. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the motor cleaned up myself, but I should have fun trying. The crinkle finish is a little worn. What I really like is the embossing, even more than most of the intricate decals on other machines.

White Rotary, black crinkle embossed. SN 1x62861, so the year is 1931.

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275617[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]275618[/ATTACH]

Bennett 10-22-2011 03:05 PM

right now the keys don't do much - the stack seems to suppose to turn a rod across the back which turns the needle bar. I don't want to use penetrating oil because I don't want to ruin the paint. I painted it up good with kerosene and I'll try hair dryer heat next time I'm over there - see if it will loosen up. I haven't figured out the big knob on the front yet either. I suppose I should read the manual shouldn't I.

You mean a manual isn't the last resort??? :lol:

Glenn 10-22-2011 03:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bennett you got you work cut out on this but it is a nice machine.
Here is my 319 that I treadle. I got it from a good friend.
glenn

purplefiend 10-22-2011 03:10 PM

Miriam,
There is a free manual on Ismacs for your Singer 319.

http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf

Celeste 10-22-2011 03:10 PM

What I really like is the embossing, even more than most of the intricate decals on other machines.

That's what I noticed first, I like that too. I'm looking forward to seeing her all cleaned up!