Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Ohio Star Quilter 12-30-2011 02:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In Sept. 2011 I bought a New Home treadle serial number 262830 dated 1882. I've since stripped the cabinet and stained it, repainted the the wrought iron base. I started to clean the machine but haven't finished it yet. The decal in the center of the bed was already mostly gone so can't make it out. On the face plate there is a rose painted on it. I also got the manual, attachments, the key and a brochure of differant models available with it.
Judy

Ohio Star Quilter 12-30-2011 02:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sorry for mix up this is my first time posting pictures to new format.
Judy

Bennett 12-30-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4822572)
I'm betting it's a 201-2....
What do we win? ~wink and a grin~

Well, now I feel like I let everyone down who played along! :) The seller never did answer my e-mail to set up a time to see it. No phone # on the ad either. Another 201 would be nice to have!

Bennett 12-30-2011 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady (Post 4823030)
It's beautiful! I just got a New Home today, it's called a 'light-running New Home sewing machine" on the manual, and it's in the No. 4 style treadle base. Serial number is 272868 - any way to date it?

Lovely! I like the detail on the coffin top, very elegant.

Bennett 12-30-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 4824094)
Speaking of the Redeye, will a kerosene soak hurt the decals? Reading Billy's tutorial seems like it's okay, but I'd like some feedback before I drop in that decorated part in that attaches to the bobbin winder. That screw is not coming out.

When I cleaned up mine, I did get quite a bit of kerosene on the decals. It didn't seem to hurt them. What you might have problems with is that the kerosene (or in my case, really dirty kerosene) may leave kind of a film on the machine. Be careful cleaning this off; that's where there might be problems with the decals. The film left on mine came off easily, just had to clean gently and keep an eye on what I was doing.

Bennett 12-30-2011 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter (Post 4824924)
Sorry for mix up this is my first time posting pictures to new format.
Judy

What a beauty! That heart motif on the pedal would make an interesting quilt design. :)

MrsBoats 12-30-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 4822327)
What color do we get when the pink,green and maroon cases breed??? ROFL

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 4822374)
Probably plaid. <VBG>

I dunno that I'd pay $200 for it, but I'd buy a plaid one!

quiltdoctor 12-30-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter (Post 4824918)
In Sept. 2011 I bought a New Home treadle serial number 262830 dated 1882. I've since stripped the cabinet and stained it, repainted the the wrought iron base. I started to clean the machine but haven't finished it yet. The decal in the center of the bed was already mostly gone so can't make it out. On the face plate there is a rose painted on it. I also got the manual, attachments, the key and a brochure of differant models available with it.

Judy

You did a wonderful job, it is beautiful!! I just love the burlwood accents.

Texas Jan

Glenn 12-30-2011 05:04 PM

Brunswick Sewing machine

4 Attachment(s)
You may remember several weeks ago I posted pics of a Monkey Wards Brunswick before pics. Here are the after pics.

irishrose 12-30-2011 05:06 PM

Thank you, Bennett for the response. I wish it were summer. I'd take this thing outside and paint it with kerosene. The parts I can soak in the carport and then bring them in. That tarry stuff just doesn't want to come off the outside of the machine. Grrr. I assume I can't scrub the decals with kerosene.

Maybe I'll call to see if the repairman could get the Universal rewired. I need an easy clean up right now.

Glenn, the Brunswick and its cabinet look great. Very pretty.

The New Home with the rose is is in great shape for her age. I like the rose. I wonder if my giveaway has one. She is going to end on display at my LQS so I'll look when she's restored.