Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 02-22-2012 04:45 PM

GLEN oh G L E N????? I've been hoping you would tell us some more about that machine you restored. Tell us what all you had to do and how you did it - what paint did you use? More pics??? I just know you did a fabulous job on the 'decal' part - you do a very nice job of faking it... LOL I've seen your work - it's probably REALLY good. Oh and did you lose any screws?

Glenn 02-22-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4999132)
GLEN oh G L E N????? I've been hoping you would tell us some more about that machine you restored. Tell us what all you had to do and how you did it - what paint did you use? More pics??? I just know you did a fabulous job on the 'decal' part - you do a very nice job of faking it... LOL I've seen your work - it's probably REALLY good. Oh and did you lose any screws?

No this time I did not loose any screws. I just cleaned it with kerosene and Blast Buster using a dremel and wire brush. Scrubed the painted parts with dawn then wipe it down with naptha to remove any oil. Feather the chipped paint applied a metal primer and painted it with black spray paint(gloss) when dry toned it down with a polish to dull the paint to mactch the old. Used my dremel buffing wheel on the shiny parts. Used Evaporust to remove the rust on the plates.
I just bougth a black auto paint from Auto Zone.

miriam 02-22-2012 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 4999186)
No this time I did not loose any screws. I just cleaned it with kerosene and Blast Buster using a dremel and wire brush. Scrubed the painted parts with dawn then wipe it down with naptha to remove any oil. Feather the chipped paint applied a metal primer and painted it with black spray paint(gloss) when dry toned it down with a polish to dull the paint to mactch the old. Used my dremel buffing wheel on the shiny parts. Used Evaporust to remove the rust on the plates.
I just bougth a black auto paint from Auto Zone.

how did you apply the kerosene? Did you remove the varnish on the bottom parts?

Glenn 02-22-2012 05:18 PM

My WW8

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a couple of more pics of bottom before and after

miriam 02-22-2012 05:21 PM

what kind of a stitch does it make Glen? seems like an odd bobbin area

Glenn 02-22-2012 05:24 PM

As you can see I cleaned with kerosene by brushing it on let it sit awhile a then brushed with a brass wire brush about the size of a toothbrush. I did not want to remove the thin coat of varnish which is the natural oxidation of the metal. This will prevent rusting along with oiling the machine. I just got the old dirt off the paint underneath and did not worry about the imperfections under there

Glenn 02-22-2012 05:25 PM

[QUOTE=miriam;4999212]what kind of a stitch does it make Glen? seems like an odd bobbin area[/QUOTE

Makes a very straight lock stitch

Glenn 02-22-2012 05:27 PM

A guys my name is spelled Glenn not Glen LOL Thank you

miriam 02-22-2012 05:27 PM

tell us about that bobbin

miriam 02-22-2012 05:28 PM

sorry Glenn - someone on here has been spelling my name with a U. LOL