Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 10-29-2012 06:11 AM

Nancy - she looks good. I think I would like to see that one on a treadle.

BoJangles 10-29-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5620030)
spent the day making three aprons and a night gown on this little Eldridge. I used Aurufil thread- it's a bit thinner (2 ply) and one long bobbin served for all the projects with no refills needed. The machine seemed to really like this expensive but lovely thread. I wonder if vintage machines like a thinner thread? I'm having the urge to take this machine to a quilt class I'm taking. I know a nice, normal quilter would take a 301 and try and blend in, but I for some reason I have the urge to be quirky! I have a week to talk myself out of it.![ATTACH=CONFIG]373102[/ATTACH]Laura

Laura, go for it - be quirky! I bet everyone in the class will be asking you what you are sewing on! I love to take an unusual machine - it gets other like minded people interested in the vintage machines! I've managed to hook a few people that way!

Love the photos of the glass feet!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-29-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5620960)
Nancy - she looks good. I think I would like to see that one on a treadle.

I know, if I didn't have my Singer 319w in treadle I would put this baby in a treadle! It is so fun to treadle a machine that does decorative stitches! I need a bigger house so I can have more treadles in the house! Where do you guys put those machines? I am getting close to 60 now, but half of my machines are in a cargo unit outside - like I said I need a bigger house! I have such a hard time parting with a machine once it comes here to live!

Nancy

grant15clone 10-29-2012 06:24 AM

Nice and clean machine. Does that have the automatic needle threader on it? My 229 has one but I don't really know how to use it properly. It just won't grab the thread.

BoJangles 10-29-2012 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer (Post 5619256)
I think it was on this site but I just can't find it! There was a discussion on the Davis NVF reverse button. The discussion was that it is not a reverse but a back tack. I was glad to hear that since I remember opening the faceplate on mine trying to fix the reverse action and I was not successful. However, I put the Davis NVF in its cabinet today and tested it out - my Back Tack button works as it must have been designed. It simply puts the needle back in the same hole over and over again until I release the button. That is similar to what my Bernina 440QE does to secure stitches at the beginning and end of some patterns. Anyway, even though I can't find the discussion, thank you for this different take on the button, I can relax now knowing that my machine is indeed working.

Judy I remember this discussion too. I have a New Vertical Feed Davis, but I have not sewn with her. I have my original Vertical Feed Davis - a pre 1900 machine - that I use. I don't have a treadle to put the new Davis in. I thought I could switch the two and use either or, depending on my mood, but since I measured them the other day and discovered that the old one has 1/2" more throat space - I'm wondering if they will switch out? I need to try the switch!

Nancy

pinkCastleDH 10-29-2012 06:34 AM

Does anyone have some compiled information on base/head compatibility? I remember reading that there were different spacings even within a brand but it seems that there's also some cross brand compatibility.

BoJangles 10-29-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5620986)
Nice and clean machine. Does that have the automatic needle threader on it? My 229 has one but I don't really know how to use it properly. It just won't grab the thread.

Grant get a flashlight and look at the threader. It is probably missing the little wire in the middle of the threader that grabs the thread. My 260 also has a needle threader, but the thread grabber thingy in the middle is gone - so it does not work. I have not checked the 230 yet!

Nancy

miriam 10-29-2012 06:45 AM

The 230 has an extra lever on the back - I would assume it was a threader. I love how the light raises and lowers with that lever.

grant15clone 10-29-2012 08:29 AM

It is all there and it still has the point on it. It just doesn't seem like it is going through far enough to grab it. It may be bent just enough. Or I may have a needle that is too thick of a needle for it to work too. It is aligned right and is working correctly, it would seem. It might be just out of adjustment too. I am going to try to see what I can do today on it. I took it off and it looks like that part is replaceable. Did Pfaff make these threadding things a long time or was it short-lived?

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5621012)
Grant get a flashlight and look at the threader. It is probably missing the little wire in the middle of the threader that grabs the thread. My 260 also has a needle threader, but the thread grabber thingy in the middle is gone - so it does not work. I have not checked the 230 yet!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-29-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5621317)
It is all there and it still has the point on it. It just doesn't seem like it is going through far enough to grab it. It may be bent just enough. Or I may have a needle that is too thick of a needle for it to work too. It is aligned right and is working correctly, it would seem. It might be just out of adjustment too. I am going to try to see what I can do today on it. I took it off and it looks like that part is replaceable. Did Pfaff make these threadding things a long time or was it short-lived?

A long time, and they still make them! The modern ones are almost identical to the vintage threaders!

Nancy