Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 12-31-2012 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5752679)
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been
the foresight to know where you're going
and the insight to know when you're going too far.

Happy New Year Everybody!
We have more snow today - anybody want some of it?

Miriam, I love that little saying! Thank you! And no, I don't want any snow! I rode today, it was a beautiful day here in sunny California!

Happy New Year everyone! I hope 2013 is a great year for all of us! New beginnings, always a good thing!

Nancy

BoJangles 12-31-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tslowery (Post 5753471)
Do you still restore vintage singers with custom paint jobs?

I think this question is meant for Billy? He got very ill and does not visit here much anymore. You could try sending him a PM asking him your question.

Nancy

miriam 12-31-2012 09:18 PM

You can get a custom paint job at just about any car paint place. If you search on line you can learn how to prepare or the car paint guys can tell you how to do it. My BIL does custom paint. He says 99% is preparation. Then he says he can use up excess paint from a car or you can buy paint the color you wish for.

That said, I feel that Glenn has a wonderful tutorial to RESTORE your machine to it's own NATURAL normal looking beauty for the age of the machine. It is easy to do and inexpensive and the results are so VERY worth the effort. Here is a link: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t193635.html Glenn also has tutorials on how to restore the finish on the sewing machine cabinets. I've been to Glenn's house and have seen his work first hand. The machines and cabinets are very much worth the effort and cost effective, too. Some of us have posted before and after pics on there when we tried it ourselves. It was not too hard to do.

miriam 12-31-2012 09:21 PM

Well it is 12:20 am our neighbors all saved up the fireworks from July 4 when we had the fireworks ban... Happy sleepy New Year from the war zone in Indianapolis. GROG.

melinda1962 12-31-2012 09:53 PM

Happy New Year, Everyone!! Hoping this year brings many blessings to us all.

Surfergirl 01-01-2013 04:43 AM

I sell and buy on Ebay and Amazon and understand the problem with poorly packed sewing machines because I've bought a few of them. Now, when I purchase a machine, I ask the seller to pack the machine well...sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I repaint featherweights and 301's and when I sell one, I pack them really well, insure them, and ship via FedEx. I only repaint machines that are cosmetically challenged. I love seeing them look new again.

makitmama 01-01-2013 06:57 AM

I'm with you, Lynn. If the machines outside condition is past repair, then a repainted machine will have another life. Someone will name it, love it, and use it. However, the original rusty boat-anchor machine would have been ignored until trashed.

nurseknitsLaura 01-01-2013 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by makitmama (Post 5754211)
I'm with you, Lynn. If the machines outside condition is past repair, then a repainted machine will have another life. Someone will name it, love it, and use it. However, the original rusty boat-anchor machine would have been ignored until trashed.

I have to agree here, too. That said, the one machine I repainted was waaaayyyy more work than I bargained for, and still was just an OK paint job. If only I could find a way to slip cover them....(smile) I just finished quilting a donation quilt that I am sick to death of. I tried buying batting in the mail and it is much heavier than I usually use. Here's a bad light picture of the latest top- need to go figure out a back. [ATTACH=CONFIG]385274[/ATTACH]Laura

melinda1962 01-01-2013 06:44 PM

I have a couple of ceramic figures that are fabric covered then coated with heavy clear lacquer. Could work for a sewing machine I guess, if you prep it and seal it good. Just a thought. Nice quilt top too.

SteveH 01-01-2013 07:32 PM

I feel the same... Hence my current project (over in photos) of an early Elias Howe rebuild. was covered in rust, would have made a cool shelf piece. Now, when i am done, hopefully it will sew again.

"May the best of last year, be this years worst"