Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 01-09-2013 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5773471)
Your twins are beautiful. Skip

Sew not touching that one! hehe

grant15clone 01-09-2013 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5773693)

:D I stayed clear of that one too!!! :D :D :D On another subject, The hand crank Jones machines are gorgeous.:thumbup:
~G~

BoJangles 01-09-2013 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5773693)

A little humor is always appreciated! The twins comment put a smile on my face!

Hey on a serious note, I have a Minnesota H missing a slide plate. Anyone have one I could buy? Someone on here was talking about the Minnesota a while back - something about the parts being interchangeable with another machine? Any information would be appreciated! I thought this machine was made by Domestic and sold by Sears? But, I think ISMACS lists the Minnesota H made by Standard? It gets more complicated because I also remember reading that about 1926 White acquired Domestic? Anyway, all I need is a slide plate or information of what machines to look for - for a donor slide plate!

Nancy

SteveH 01-09-2013 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5772284)
I am actually glad the Jones turned out to be another HC and not a treadle! I don't have room for another treadle! Nancy

Nancy, are you SURE.....?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/fuo/3533351674.html

Glad to elicit a grin, not a groan or a grump.

rosie99 01-09-2013 02:31 PM

I got a LBOY 301A just before Christmas. After the Christmas hoopla was over I oiled her and greased the gears. She sews so effortlessly and is so quiet. I love it! But I noticed that the needle sits a hair too much to the left and when sewing you can sometimes hear the needle "touch" the needle plate. I changed the needle and removed the needle plate and screwed it back in. It is still a bit too much to the left. It doesn't stop me from sewing but I would be happier if I could slightly adjust the way the needle sits so it is more centered over the hole. Is that possible?
Thanks Jackie

Mizkaki 01-09-2013 03:17 PM

Nancy,

I'd be glad to take those parts machines off your hands. I will re-home them if possible.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5773432)
Cathy, I have that 201 with the bent needle shaft - you can have it if you want it for a parts machine, or to fix? I don't want to mess with that machine. I also have 2, 66-6 side clamping heads from 1926 you can have for parts or to re-home if you like. They are both in good shape. I am cleaning up! I gave another granddaughter a really nice 401a with attachments - I have a 500a and a 503a that I like better! I gave a friend the Viking 6010 with everything - I like the Pfaffs better, just couldn't bond with that Viking! I am only keeping the machines I know I will use and the ones I really like!

Nancy

miriam 01-09-2013 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by rosie99 (Post 5774486)
I got a LBOY 301A just before Christmas. After the Christmas hoopla was over I oiled her and greased the gears. She sews so effortlessly and is so quiet. I love it! But I noticed that the needle sits a hair too much to the left and when sewing you can sometimes hear the needle "touch" the needle plate. I changed the needle and removed the needle plate and screwed it back in. It is still a bit too much to the left. It doesn't stop me from sewing but I would be happier if I could slightly adjust the way the needle sits so it is more centered over the hole. Is that possible?
Thanks Jackie

Is the flat side of the needle to your left? Double check your manual.

Mizkaki 01-09-2013 05:21 PM

Jackie,

A quick answer..No. You can't re-position the needlebar. The needle should not be hitting the plate at all. Do make sure the hole in the bar for the needle is clean. A small amount of debris in the hole can deflect the needle enough to cause it to hit the needleplate.

The 301 is designed so the the flat of the needle positions the needle at the left side of the hole. As the needle size gets larger the needle 'grows' on the side opposite of the flat. This allows larger needles. If the needle was centered the 301 would have a much smaller range of sizes that could be used before hitting the needleplate hole on the right side.
I hope this helps.

BTW the two tone 301 is a LBOW (Light Beige/ Oyster White).

Cathy

Originally Posted by rosie99 (Post 5774486)
Thanks Jackie

miriam 01-09-2013 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5774902)
Jackie,

A quick answer..No. You can't re-position the needlebar. The needle should not be hitting the plate at all. Do make sure the hole in the bar for the needle is clean. A small amount of debris in the hole can deflect the needle enough to cause it to hit the needleplate.

The 301 is designed so the the flat of the needle positions the needle at the left side of the hole. As the needle size gets larger the needle 'grows' on the side opposite of the flat. This allows larger needles. If the needle was centered the 301 would have a much smaller range of sizes that could be used before hitting the needleplate hole on the right side.
I hope this helps.

BTW the two tone 301 is a LBOW (Light Beige/ Oyster White).

Cathy

I have a Singer 411G that did that - it turned out to be a bent needle bar. I hope it is just gunk or the needle in backwards.

rosie99 01-09-2013 06:05 PM

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll have another look at it tomorrow and check all those things out.