Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

blueheavenfla 03-11-2013 04:10 PM

Grant,
If you are willing to share that wiring tutorial, I would love to have it, also. I have one machine that is so bad that it is scary that someone actually may have used it recently. If you are willing to share, PM me and I will send my email address by return PM. Thanks, Donna

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5915696)
Miriam, I get great prices on machines if the wiring is bad when buying them. Fortunately, rewiring doesn't scare me. For many machines, it is quite simple. I do some rewiring on about 1/2 to 1/3 of the machines I do. Quite often it is the motor leads (wires going into the motor housing). I'd be glad to shoot you an email tutorial I did if you would like.
~G~

miriam 03-11-2013 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by blueheavenfla (Post 5921970)
Grant,
If you are willing to share that wiring tutorial, I would love to have it, also. I have one machine that is so bad that it is scary that someone actually may have used it recently. If you are willing to share, PM me and I will send my email address by return PM. Thanks, Donna

I'm thinking you could post a tutorial on here and everybody would be happy!

blueheavenfla 03-11-2013 04:32 PM

Hey Miriam...how come you are so smart and I am so old? I should have thought of that posting the tutorial on here but I guess old brains just work slower. Thanks for the good idea!

miriam 03-11-2013 04:34 PM

Maybe Glenn can chime in on the tutorial, too. Oh and I keep getting older, too....

Glenn 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5922025)
Maybe Glenn can chime in on the tutorial, too. Oh and I keep getting older, too....

I recommend you learn how to solder first. Right Miriam?????

J Miller 03-11-2013 06:58 PM

For the most part wiring motors is easy. Well, wiring a sewing machine is easy, that's all there is to it.

Yes, you need to know how to solder. And using a good electrical solder like Radio Shack used to sell is a big help.
Check your local hardware store for solder.

J :D e

J Miller 03-11-2013 07:00 PM

Oh yeah, you should learn how to tie an underwriters knot too. Very important knot. :)

J:)e

blueheavenfla 03-11-2013 09:48 PM

Soldering and underwriters knot covered here. I used to work at a shop where we made most of the teleprompters in use at that time were made. Additionally, I helped DH wire the house we built ourselves.

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5922332)
Oh yeah, you should learn how to tie an underwriters knot too. Very important knot. :)

J:)e

miriam 03-12-2013 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5922126)
I recommend you learn how to solder first. Right Miriam?????

I still have to master that.

makitmama 03-12-2013 03:34 AM

so I learned to solder jewelry...and have all the tools etc. Any differences? I use silver shiny solder, not the dull grey stuff. I can tie a surgeons knot...
I would love a tute- what sort of bribe would work?