Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

grant15clone 06-25-2013 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 6143144)
I recently bought an untested 99K from Goodwill which, as it turns out, was in better than average condition. I cleaned and oiled her, replaced the missing bobbin and inserted a new needle. She stitches beautifully. The problem is, she works hard to get started. It's not a problem with the motor as I tested it without a load. Any suggestions?

Nice Lois! I would start by running it without the bobbin case in it. Try to peek inside the motor at the communicator. It is the copper thing that the brushes ride on. Is it black, does it spark a lot when you run it? Did you check under the needle plate and slideplate for excessive lint? Does the machine turn over easily with the handwheel? Is the belt too tight? Make sure you have oiled it everywhere you should.
I would start with these.
~G~

LoisM 06-25-2013 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6143202)
Nice Lois! I would start by running it without the bobbin case in it. Try to peek inside the motor at the communicator. It is the copper thing that the brushes ride on. Is it black, does it spark a lot when you run it? Did you check under the needle plate and slideplate for excessive lint? Does the machine turn over easily with the handwheel? Is the belt too tight? Make sure you have oiled it everywhere you should.
I would start with these.
~G~

Thanks for the prompt reply, Grant. The handwheel turns easily; the belt has just enough slack; I cleaned the feed dogs after I removed and cleaned the needle plate and slide plate; and everything has been oiled. That leaves the motor itself which I'm fearful of tackling since I'm relatively new to all this. I may work up the nerve later. :)

Glenn 06-25-2013 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6141494)
HA HA HA - you think YOU are?????

Hi Charlie Miriam is piking on me again.:(
Skip

mom-6 06-25-2013 01:10 PM

Did you also check the foot pedal? And the knob that tightens and loosens so you can fill the bobbin?
I've had both of those be the source of an issue like you are describing.

LoisM 06-25-2013 01:31 PM

I've been thinking about the foot pedal. Guess I'll switch it with another and find out. Thanks.

Oops! It's a 99K (not my 15) and the cord to the foot pedal comes directly out of the motor instead of a terminal, so it's not as easy as I'd hoped. :(

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 6143313)
Did you also check the foot pedal? And the knob that tightens and loosens so you can fill the bobbin?
I've had both of those be the source of an issue like you are describing.

grant15clone 06-25-2013 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by LoisM (Post 6143351)
I've been thinking about the foot pedal. Guess I'll switch it with another and find out. Thanks.

Oops! It's a 99K (not my 15) and the cord to the foot pedal comes directly out of the motor instead of a terminal, so it's not as easy as I'd hoped. :(

Does the foot pedal or the motor get hot? Is the bobbin winder engaged? Is it making any strange noises? When you have the slideplate off can you wiggle the bobbin holder? Can you move the hook easily? Is the binding in that area?
Also try to get some oil behind the balancer. It is in the head and connects the upper shaft to the needlebar.
~G~

Charlee 06-25-2013 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6143299)
Hi Charlie Miriam is piking on me again.:(
Skip

Hey Skip!! ~patting back~ Miriam shouldn't be picking on you!! She *KNOWS* she's supposed to wait for me to do any picking!!! ;)

chris_quilts 06-25-2013 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 6142844)
I don't know where to post this so I am going to post it here. This is quite a find. I don't know about the price, but it is quite impressive. Anyone here live in Ohio?
~G~
http://limaohio.craigslist.org/atq/3881398247.html

Grant. I am so drooling over that case. Thank God for a business trip and several states between me the case. :D:D Dh would surely know I'd lost my mind if I came home with that.

miriam 06-25-2013 03:30 PM

I cleaned up the other derelict Singer 15. It is old old - some one took the finish off down to the metal on the base of it. The rest is just pretty well worn - anyway I cleaned it up and made it stitch. This one doesn't have a motor boss but someone put a motor on the back. Probably when they took off the big wheel for the treadle. It would treadle nicely I guess. I still want to fine tune it a little. I was amazed how different two Singer 15 machines can be.

Then I picked up a Singer 223 today. I'm very intrigued. I haven't done more than peek at it. I know it is all metal, very heavy, does zz, blind hem and ss. It is made in Japan. Not too many Singer's claim to be made in Japan. I'm guessing from the mid 1960s. I should dig around for a manual.

grannysewer 06-25-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 6142989)
Bobbie, you can replace it with anything that fits!! :)

Thanks Charlee, I've got some I'm going to try.

Bobbie