Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 10-08-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6337715)
Love the stories, keep em coming!

If folks want to check it out, the first draft of The Victorian Sweatshop webpage is up. Since Needlebar came back up i put that project on hold to get this one up and running.

http://www.crimsonforge.com/VSS.html

Nice webpage! I'm like Joe, I need some magnifying glasses to see those photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of your site. Have fun!

nanna-up-north 10-09-2013 05:19 AM

Wow, Steve. Very impressive. It's amazing what you all do with those machines.

SteveH 10-09-2013 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 6338521)
Nice webpage! I'm like Joe, I need some magnifying glasses to see those photos. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of your site. Have fun!

Ok fine! hehe Check the first machine (Anker) it opens to my first try at an "inventory page"

I will stare at it for a day or so and once I am sure i like it I will do the rest of the machines links the same way.

jlhmnj 10-09-2013 03:04 PM

Steve,

Great job on the website. Only missing a Davis Vertical Feed or Walking Foot machine.

Jon

SteveH 10-09-2013 04:14 PM

you find me one made before 1901 (preferable before 1880) and I'm all over it....

I have not added it to the site yet, but I do have a Singer 29-4 (does that count?) hehe

J Miller 10-09-2013 04:56 PM

Steve,

Make the rest of the pics into thumbnails. The first two are great. Love the details and history as well.

You're making me want one of those humpty back sewing machines.

Joe

chris_quilts 10-09-2013 05:46 PM

Steve;
Love the new format!!! Very impressive format.

vintagemotif 10-09-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6339822)
Ok fine! hehe Check the first machine (Anker) it opens to my first try at an "inventory page"

I will stare at it for a day or so and once I am sure i like it I will do the rest of the machines links the same way.

Very nicely done! You have a fine collection there!

BoJangles 10-10-2013 06:14 AM

Ok I feel a little guilty, but not really guilty! I bought another Featherweight over the weekend. It is in perfect shape, a 1951 Centennial with all the attachments, a manual, a zig zag attachment, and a blind hem attachment - for - are you ready - $50! I saw the little black box sitting in the drive way - knew immediately what it was. My DH asked how much they wanted for the little sewing machine and the lady said $50. DH paid the $50 and we took the machine home. I didn't take it out of the box until we got home - I was afraid someone there would see it! So I didn't know until we got home and lifted the machine out that it was a Centennial! I couldn't believe my luck! So I am giving a friend one of my FW's - to ease my guilt - cause she loaned her FW to an older lady who wanted to start sewing again after years of not sewing. This lady had never used any sewing machine but a FW. I really thought buying a FW at a yard sale was a thing of the past!

Nancy

BoJangles 10-10-2013 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6336688)
Wilbur sold a sewing machine tonight. I had an ad on CL, baby sitting kidos, Walter with a smelly diaper and no wipes... so I told the Wilbur and Miss L to behave - as in stay in the kitchen and eat something... Well, Wilbur just had to answer the door. Then he told the guy where the machine was. He told the guy he oils all of my machines for me. I told the guy Wilbur is a regular priest when it comes to oiling machines. Then Miss L tells him she cleans all the lint out of all the machines. Me? I just hang around and watch... Wilbur told the guy that machine plugs in to the wall and you push the pedal and it sews. The guy had a real hard time not cracking up. Oh and when we loaded the truck we gave the kids each something to carry. Wilbur got to carry the most important part - the cord. Miss L carried the manual. What ever. My shop is not the same. Child labor and all that. I think the guy thought he was at a comedy show. Not everyday you get that kind of entertainment....

Miriam, I love your grandchild stories! I feel I know the kids! What a hoot!

Nancy