Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

skeetersmom 08-19-2010 12:42 AM

OMG!!!!!!!!! I am a newbie on this board.......just wanted to learn how to quilt.........but after seeing this thread, I am absolutely hooked on the old machines already. I am a great-grandma, and it's probably pretty late to begin a search for a sewing machine or two from the past, but I am compelled to give it a try.

Thanks for this thread, love reading and seeing the pictures of old machines that I so well remember.

I'm not sure where to begin my search for a featherweight and a treadle, but I'm going to begin the search. I've never bought anything off e-bay or craig's list which I've seen mentioned here. If anyone here has suggestions, I'm interested in hearing about them.

jenna p in ga 08-19-2010 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
Now that I have a FW but just wondered :).

Jenna

That should read NOT that I have a FW...still waiting for that elusive great deal...I like the under $100 deals, lol.

jenna p in ga 08-19-2010 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
UGHHHH
So I went to make my first quilt on the treadle red eye that I got last week.
I have sewed on it everyday pretty much but just practice things you know a piece of fabric and off I go.

Well tonight it wants to start acting up.

First the bobbin keeps getting stuck. Well not the bobbin but the thread. Like I can not pull the tread out.
When I get it going again I sew for a little bit and then it sticks again and puckers up the fabric.

Now the belt keeps slipping.
It happened the first night I had the treadle and I tightened the belt as it was REALLY loose. But I looked at it and its not loose (well a little but no more then it should be).

Anyone one have any suggestions?
I was really looking forward to making my first quilt on the treadle.

I have oiled it and wiped it down but it looks in good shape no gunk build up.
It was used by an older lady till she past away so it has not been stored long.

There are others here that can probably help you better than me, but I will add my thoughts anyway.

Slipping could be from oil. Make sure there is none on the belt or wheels.

Try changing thread for that problem. I have two old machines and was trying them out w/the same thread. On one machine no problems, but the treadle would skip stitches. Changed the thread and no more problems!!! Funny thing is both threads i used on the treadle are polyester, but it did not like the first one!!!

Maybe someone else will chime in, or maybe these things will help. It's a bummer to have trouble.

jenna p in ga 08-19-2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by skeetersmom
I'm not sure where to begin my search for a featherweight and a treadle, but I'm going to begin the search. I've never bought anything off e-bay or craig's list which I've seen mentioned here. If anyone here has suggestions, I'm interested in hearing about them.

Craigslist or yard sales would be my suggestion. However, I have gotten both my old machines at antique malls. Probably not the best price, but under $100 is good in my book. Of course condition says a lot about price, and these I felt were close to worth the price. Probably could have talked the people down, but that is not my thing...I leave that to DH. I have yet to find the elusive FW in my budget range, or if I do it's already sold!!! Done rambling :)

Happy hunting

quilt addict 08-19-2010 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
OK Proud new owners of two more Feather Weights, a black one 1954 and a white one 1964. The black one is missing the bobbin holder but the white one is up and running and barely used.

Congratulations Anna! They look nice. I have heard lots of suggestions on the smell. Most are put something to absorb the smell in it and put it out in the sun. I don't remember what they said, like activated charcoal or something like that. But I have also heard dryer sheets. Good luck. I think if you google it you should find lots of suggestions.

I can't wait to come visit your collection.

jackkip 08-19-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
OK Proud new owners of two more Feather Weights, a black one 1954 and a white one 1964. The black one is missing the bobbin holder but the white one is up and running and barely used.

Wow, great looking machines. I really like the white one. Plus I have heard 64 was a very good year.....same year I was born

:wink:

quilterguy27 08-19-2010 05:54 AM

This was the reply I got from the guy trying to sell his machine for $1500:

Doug,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge of the Singer Featherweights. I understand you are not trying to "discount" the machine in my possession, I take no offense to your remarks. However, I priced the machine at the scale that I am hopeful to receive and to strike up conversations like the one we have been having. As you know price is negotiable to whom wants and whom will give at a price that is offered. If you are interested in my machine then we can talk about the price. What is your offer?

Thank you for your input.
Terri

Sounds to me like he's going to leave the price as is and hope he gets it. As Billy said yesterday, in a couple of months we will see the price drop unless some unsuspecting fool buys it not knowing they are getting ripped off. Oh well, I tried to be a good Samaritan and offer good advise.

Weedwoman 08-19-2010 06:05 AM

OMG!!!!!!!!! I am a newbie on this board.......just wanted to learn how to quilt.........but after seeing this thread, I am absolutely hooked on the old machines already. I am a great-grandma, and it's probably pretty late to begin a search for a sewing machine or two from the past, but I am compelled to give it a try.

Thanks for this thread, love reading and seeing the pictures of old machines that I so well remember.

I'm fairly new to this list also, you'll love being involved with it. Everyone is so helpful and getting to see pics of all the machines really whets ones appetite for shopping for the next addition to our machine family.
You are never too old to begin collecting these old machines. I, too, am a great grandma (3x's). I truly love collecting and using these machines and my husband enjoys cleaning them up and is wonderful at it so it gives us something to do together. He's 71 and I'm 64 so I figure we have lots of years left to enjoy this fun endeavor. You'll love it also. Happy hunting.

skeetersmom 08-19-2010 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jenna p in ga

Craigslist or yard sales would be my suggestion. However, I have gotten both my old machines at antique malls. Probably not the best price, but under $100 is good in my book. Of course condition says a lot about price, and these I felt were close to worth the price. Probably could have talked the people down, but that is not my thing...I leave that to DH. I have yet to find the elusive FW in my budget range, or if I do it's already sold!!! Done rambling :)

Happy hunting

Thank you, Jenna P. for your reply. I'm so eager to find those, and can't wait to clue DH in on this. He sleeps late and has no clue what's about to transpire. Hehe.

skeetersmom 08-19-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman

I'm fairly new to this list also, you'll love being involved with it. Everyone is so helpful and getting to see pics of all the machines really whets ones appetite for shopping for the next addition to our machine family.
You are never too old to begin collecting these old machines. I, too, am a great grandma (3x's). I truly love collecting and using these machines and my husband enjoys cleaning them up and is wonderful at it so it gives us something to do together. He's 71 and I'm 64 so I figure we have lots of years left to enjoy this fun endeavor. You'll love it also. Happy hunting.