Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 08-21-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Hi you guys, well I bought a 'Chandler Mini Skipper, Mfd for Chandler, Ayer, MA USA' at an estate sale today -- it says 'Japan' on the side of the machine and the only number I could find on it is - 10566. Does anyone know what I bought? It is somekind of blindstitch machine? It looks very weird.

Any help would be appreciated!

Nancy

Well, so far no one has answered my plea for help on this Chandler? The thing has a curved needle like for sewing upholstery and it has a looper, but no place to thread for the looper. It also has no bobbin that I could find? The only way to lift the foot off the fabric is with a knee lift. I think this is somekind of specialized industrial machine for heming? I can't wait to get it cleaned up and try sewing with it to see what it does do!

Nancy

Annaquilts 08-21-2010 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by lindyline
Ok, so I've just opened my treadle and sewn on it.It's been sitting idle for 25 plus years.Made all my 1st DD's baby clothes on it.
Remembered to oil it first and guess what...IT WORKS. Just like a dream.Looked up Singers site, and it was made in Clydebank Scotland in 1955. It's a 201K.
Anybody know anything else about them??
Oh, and here's a pic.

Oh nice drool. LOL I am looking for a younger treadle with reverse. heard the 201 are the best.

lindyline 08-21-2010 09:53 PM

To be honest, I didn't even know it did sew in reverse.And I've owned it for close to 30 years.

Lostn51 08-21-2010 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Luv2sew4fun
Ok so... I unscrew it and pull the white switch out? is that how it works? Or do I unscrew the whole peice and remove it from the machine?

You can take the piece off of the machine then you can unscrew the bezel and swap out the switches. Its just a simple 2 throw 110v switch.

Billy

Lostn51 08-21-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by Lostn51
If anyone is looking for a sewing machine I have several for sale in the classifieds including a 500A.

Billy

Is there a classifieds on this board??

Right here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/s-6-1.htm

Billy

Lostn51 08-21-2010 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cindy Lou Who
Did I miss Billy's second tutorial? I have found the first and just saw the reference to the third, so where can I find it? Am trying to do some reading before deciding when to just jump in and take the plunge to clean up the old yard-sale treadle I bought several years ago.

Hooked already...

Here is the second tutorial your looking for....

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45983-1.htm

Billy

Lostn51 08-21-2010 10:38 PM

Ok, so I've just opened my treadle and sewn on it.It's been sitting idle for 25 plus years.Made all my 1st DD's baby clothes on it.
Remembered to oil it first and guess what...IT WORKS. Just like a dream.Looked up Singers site, and it was made in Clydebank Scotland in 1955. It's a 201K.
Anybody know anything else about them??
Oh, and here's a pic.

Oh how I would love to have one of those!!! That is the new style of 201K and is one of my faves like the 185J/K. You own a work horse of a machine and I wish we could get them here in the states. I had a 201K at one time but the fellow never did deliver it to me and I lost my $35.........

Billy

Lostn51 08-21-2010 10:41 PM

Mix Johnny, you made me laugh. It's extremely heavy and in a cabinet, so no I won't be shipping it to the US any time soon. It's going to stay right where it is inside my front door. Too heavy to lugg upstairs to the sewing room. I was so happy that it wa still sewing perfect stitches after all this time. I bought it from a friend of my mums just prior to getting married, I think I paid $20- for it. My DH thinks it's just a waste of space, but I love it.

Depending on the shipping I will trade you a nearly perfect 66-1 Red Eye for it. Just the machine only the treadles would be too expensive to ship. I know the Red Eyes in my condition go for around $1000 down under so you will be getting a great deal!!

Billy

Grinster 08-22-2010 07:08 AM

I have the same problem with my bobbin slide. What can be done? Also when you put the bobbin in the case does the thread wind clockwise or counter clockwise?

Miz Johnny 08-22-2010 07:51 AM

Mix Johnny, you made me laugh. It's extremely heavy and in a cabinet, so no I won't be shipping it to the US any time soon. It's going to stay right where it is inside my front door. Too heavy to lugg upstairs to the sewing room. I was so happy that it wa still sewing perfect stitches after all this time. I bought it from a friend of my mums just prior to getting married, I think I paid $20- for it. My DH thinks it's just a waste of space, but I love it.

I would love to have one for a hand crank. Oh well--something to keep looking for!!