Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 02-07-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork
Do you have any info on my machine Billy? It is a SERATA serial #640765. It is a vibrating shuttle and the manufacturer is the Robert Nelson & Co. I would like to find out how old it is. The wood case is absolutly beautiful and the decals are in pretty good shape.

I love the lion on that machine! I wish I could help you but I have looked and can't find anything more than you did. Billy/Miz Johnny what do you guys know? I am curious too.

Nancy

I am digging through my other Hard Drive looking at my Photo Library doing some comparison shopping. The funky arch in the bed is tossing me a loop. The Smithsonian has nothing on the machine......

Billy

BoJangles 02-07-2011 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Remember me posting those machines in my area yesterday from Craigslist?. Well they had to come home with me today! One is a Wilcox and Gibbs, April 17, 1883. The other one is a New Home T No 3. I can't find any information on the New Home. The serial number is T4226673. Does anyone know how to date the New Home. I found some information on Needlebar (I tread lightly there). It looks like it was only manufactured as a HC. It is so cute, a little 3/4 size machine!
Here is a picture of the New Home.

Will post the Wilcox and Gibbs later -- love that little W&G treadle. The treadle is really cute with feet for the pedal! Both of these machines belonged to the owner's grandmother, then mother, now me! I am hopeless!

Nancy

T 3 New Home 3/4 size machine VS
[ATTACH=CONFIG]123402[/ATTACH]

kwendt 02-07-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Has anyone ever seen a model number like ml-k 4248624? I have a lead on a machine but the lady who has it knows NOTHING about machines and said this was the number on it. I can't meet with her until the weekend and I'm trying to find out some details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QD, I seem to remember that such a s/n was a reproduction singer. Look it over carefully. Was it made in china? If so, it's an inferior repro model. Look at the decals, if they are way colorful, and not like the Sphinx's you see on this vintage site, then they are 'new'. If that's what you want... okay. But if you want a real antique machine, the repro is not for you. Billy has told us in another thread that the Chinese made, repro are mechanically inferior machines.

Lostn51 02-07-2011 08:55 PM

Remember me posting those machines in my area yesterday from Craigslist?. Well they had to come home with me today! One is a Wilcox and Gibbs, April 17, 1883. The other one is a New Home T No 3. I can't find any information on the New Home. The serial number is T4226673. Does anyone know how to date the New Home. I found some information on Needlebar (I tread lightly there). It looks like it was only manufactured as a HC. It is so cute, a little 3/4 size machine!

Will post the Wilcox and Gibbs later -- love that little W&G treadle. The treadle is really cute with feet for the pedal! Both of these machines belonged to the owner's grandmother, then mother, now me! I am hopeless!

Nancy

I have to go through my other laptop to get that information I have not converted everything over to my new Laptop yet. But I can get it for you tomorrow.

Billy

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 08:55 PM

Nancy

Cute machine. I love the box! Sweet!

Lostn51 02-07-2011 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by QuiltDraggon
Has anyone ever seen a model number like ml-k 4248624? I have a lead on a machine but the lady who has it knows NOTHING about machines and said this was the number on it. I can't meet with her until the weekend and I'm trying to find out some details. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

QD, I seem to remember that such a s/n was a clone or reproduction singer. Look it over carefully. Was it made in china? If so, it's an inferior clone/ repro model. Look at the decals, if they are way colorful, and not like the Sphinx's you see on this vintage site, then they are 'new'. If that's what you want... okay. But if you want a real antique machine, the repro is not for you. Billy has told us in another thread that the Chinese made, repro clones are mechanically inferior machines.

Actually that would be a real Singer. They sub-contracted the machines to China to sell to the third world countries.

Billy

Lostn51 02-07-2011 08:57 PM

Double post

purplefiend 02-07-2011 09:01 PM

Billy, can I make a 66-6 (belt driven motor, not a spoked handwheel) into a treadle machine head? The handwheel is solid, but it does take the belt off the motor. So, just take off the electric gagets and put the treadle belt on it in place of where the electric one goes now? Seems too simple, what am I missing.... ?[/quote]

I'm not Billy, but yes you can! I treadle Singers 15-90 & 237,both had a belt driven motor and a solid handwheel.
They treadle with no problems. Of course a treadle cabinet
is needed.
Sharon W.

vintagemotif 02-07-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy, can I make a 66-6 (belt driven motor, not a spoked handwheel) into a treadle machine head? The handwheel is solid, but it does take the belt off the motor. So, just take off the electric gagets and put the treadle belt on it in place of where the electric one goes now? Seems too simple, what am I missing.... ?

I'm not Billy, but yes you can! I treadle aSinger 15-90,it had a belt driven motor and a solid handwheel. It treadles with no problems. Of course need a treadle cabinet.[/quote]

And your Singer 237. Oh, You stated your 237, which is way cool!

kwendt 02-07-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
If you recall from all that note taking and reading of this thread, Purplefiend (Sharon) and I have Singers with solid wheels in treadles. Sharon has her Singer 237 (link to a 237 http://reocities.com/Heartland/estat...g_sing237.html) and I have my 201.

I got my idea to use my 201 this way from Sharon's posts. I would just try it out to see if it works. That is what I did. Best idea, that and Sharon's suggestion of dental floss to hold treadle belt instead of the staple. Thank you Sharon!

Humbly thanking you for the link, the info... I do have the dental floss thing in my book, honest. I'm not askin about the 201, I know you can do that. I saw your picture and that made me want to get a treadle 201!! Down here, that's gonna take a LONG while. But then I was looking at my poor old, non reverse 66-6, and thought... well.... until I find a 201, what if I found a treadle cabinet and put THAT in it? It's got a different handwheel. Wasn't sure it could be done, and what is the limiting factor? Spokes? That doesn't make sense. Belt race? or Belt race in a certain place?

Thanks to purplefiend and VM for giving me the heads up that an electric belt race will work for a treadle belt. Thanks guys. So now, if I happen to see a treadle cabinet, I might pick that up too. We'll see! Thanks!