Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201 >

Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201

Questions from my DGD about a Singer 201

Old 08-27-2013, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Good idea. Oh, and the needles are threaded like a 66, from right to left. This is important.
I don't think sooooooooo.

66s thread from left to right. I only got seven of them.

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I don't think sooooooooo.

66s thread from left to right. I only got seven of them.

Joe
That's what I was thinking...
Old 08-27-2013, 06:05 PM

I hate it when I second guess myself, especially when I know I'm right ....

I just went and double checked one of my 66s --- yep, threads left to right, needle goes in flat to the right.

Joe
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

LOL Joe they just work much better when you do it that way... Nobody says you have to... LOL
Old 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM

The 201-2 is a sweet, sweet machine. One of the best functioning machines you could ever get. It does have it's limits though. On my 201s (three of them) this is what I've found:

1. Thread should be 50 weight or thinner. 60 weight, even 100 weight silk is fine, but don't try a 40 weight or thicker.

2. Doesn't fmq worth a darn, and trying to make it do so is an exercise in great frustration. It does piece well, uses various attachments to make other stitches, and is great for line quilting with a walking foot.

3. I've found that I absolutely MUST hold the threads to start a seam or use a thread starter, a small piece of fabric with the first four stitches. Believe me, you don't want to clean thread out of that bobbin assembly.

4. Speaking of which, the hardest thing I ever did to fix a machine was get that bobbin assembly ring back on correctly. I think it is Rain that has a blog giving tips how to do that, yes? I haven't tried Rain's method yet. But I will tell you that putting that together again has made experienced OSMG's create new swear words. I certainly learned a few! And guess what happens if you don't hold the thread tails???? Right. A mess in the bobbin assembly.

5. The 201 sews through a lot and could easily make a heavy wool coat, I think. I wouldn't make a habit of sewing leather with it, though It isn't intended for that. It is a dressmaker's machine. It's also a machine worth having.

6. Oil it every 8 hours of sewing. Use one drop where metal meets metal plus the oiling holes. Only use grease on gears. Tri-Flow is wonderful for it; it will purr like a happy kitten.

I consider it to be an elegant machine. Enjoy!

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 08-27-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
Power Poster

I just won one on auction. I'll be sure to hold the tails and keep the take up lever in the top position when I start.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Miriam, if you hold those thread tails at the start of each and every seam, you will be very pleased with that machine. Other than the bobbin assembly ring, it is an easy machine to mech and maintain. Congratulations on your new baby.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Miriam, if you hold those thread tails at the start of each and every seam, you will be very pleased with that machine. Other than the bobbin assembly ring, it is an easy machine to mech and maintain. Congratulations on your new baby.
Oddly I have a very old Singer 15 that has given me fits getting it back together. You have to take everything apart to clean it - odd set up. Just when you think you have it together the thing flies apart or something different the next time. I'll check Rain's blog before I dig into that 201. I have an old 201 with the black chrome but I never have taken that apart - the machine was barely used. Glenn rewired it last time he was up. The wires go bad just setting there. I need to set it up and use it some. I think it may need a bit more cleaning in the gear area.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:09 PM

I think each machine is an individual. I have sewed vinal with very heavy upholstery thread and it did the job fine.

I have so many machines that you need to hold the thread at the start of the seam that I find myself doing it out of habit even on the machines that don't need it.

Joe
Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 AM

I have so many machines that you need to hold the thread at the start of the seam that I find myself doing it out of habit even on the machines that don't need it.

Joe[/QUOTE]

Me, too, Joe.

You all have been so helpful, as always. I'll have to pass along all the info to my DGD. I just want everything to work out for her so she'll be able to use this machine without too much worry. I don't want to discourage her. When she was little, she made a quilt with horses on it that she loved. She won a blue ribbon at the 4-H fair but then, she found other things to do. She's finally getting excited about sewing again and it makes me so happy...... and she's going to use a vintage machine..... Yeah!!