Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Respond if you have a Singer 15-91 >

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Old 01-21-2016, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I have the large Singer zigzagger attachment in question, the black with cams that look like red knobs (I think there is a yellow cam set, as well as a blue). I can confirm it will work on any low shank machine like the 15. It's probably not the best zigzagger made, but it has the highest number of stitch patterns. For me it hasn't been practical at all. It does zigzag, but nothing like the swing needle zigzag on my vintage Bernina or Elna Supermatic. It's hard to maneuver, particularly along edges, and it misbehaves on thinner fabrics; there is nothing like the sating stitch fine tuning you get on the 1950s Berninas and Elnas on this attachment. I rather go for the narrow Greist version, or Japanese made versions. The Swiss zigzagger cost a bit too much, but isn't impossibly expensive if you really want it.
This one looks smaller, but I'm not certain if it will fit a 15-91.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Made-In-USA-...EAAOSwX~dWlBML
Old 01-21-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
I have a 15-91. It was my grandmothers, then my mothers...they have both passed away now but I remember my mom using it to sew my sister and I dresses when we were girls. I am not sure why, but she always gave the hand wheel a turn before she started sewing...like you do when using a treadle. Now that I know how to use a treadle it makes me laugh to think about her doing that (the 15-91 is electric remember). Anyway, DH rewired mine (by Rain's instructions) and while the machine worked OK, it was not great. Just before Christmas I came here trying to figure out what was wrong, and by reading my manual I realized I had been putting the needle in wrong!!! For 2 years!!! Anyway, it sews great now and I use it for everything. I have not tried FMQing yet though. I have the zig zagger too, which works well and is fun to watch but have only played w/it so far. I was not happy w/this machine until recently but I am glad I did not give up on it.
Aww, that's sweet their machine is still in use. When she gave the hand wheel a turn was she inserting the needle in the fabric before sewing? Maybe she got her intructions from page 7 of this book under the heading of "How to Start and End a Seam." http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...rence-book.pdf
Old 01-22-2016, 08:55 PM

I have 1 15. I purchased it to do quilting and FMQ. I also have an original grace frame that I had my 1970's Kenmore on. But it just isn't very fond of FMQ on the frame. So I have taken it off. I am up for suggestions for what to put on the frame that would have a larger throat space and would be good with FMQ. Should I just get another 15-91?
Old 01-23-2016, 02:44 PM

I have a 1947 15-91 inherited from an aunt. I use it for piecing. A great old machine that sews a wonderful stitch.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM

I do and it's one of many of my beloved vintage machines.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:10 PM

I recently got one in the cabinet with three boxes of attachments and a buttonholer to boot for $20! The cabinet was well taken care of and the machine has all the decals in super nice condition. Needed cleaning, grease and oil. She received that and runs smooth as a top. Sits on display in my living room at all times. Need to do a project on it soon.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Margie07 View Post
Aww, that's sweet their machine is still in use. When she gave the hand wheel a turn was she inserting the needle in the fabric before sewing? Maybe she got her intructions from page 7 of this book under the heading of "How to Start and End a Seam." http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...rence-book.pdf
No, it was a "get it started" kind of turn, like when starting a treadle. I don't know why she did it, I was not interested is sewing at that point in life so I never asked her. My mother, my aunt and my grandmother were all good sewers but my mom worked so she did not sew that much. Of course now I wish I had taken the time back then to learn from one or all of them but it was not until much later in life I took up sewing.

And, thanks for that link, I downloaded the book to look at later, they are often funny but you can learn something!
Old 01-23-2016, 11:47 PM
Banned

Maybe it was something that followed her from sewing with a treadle. Habits tend to follow us......

Cari
Old 01-24-2016, 11:05 AM

I have a darling Singer 15-91 from 1954. It's the potted motor model and came in a simple little flip-top cabinet. I wish it was an heirloom from a family member or friend, but I adopted it at an ARC thrift store. The machine, cabinet, foot pedal, bobbins and a couple feet for $50 at a local thrift shop. The machine is in wonderful condition. The walnut cabinet has light scuffs and nicks, mostly on the legs.

It runs, but I've finally located an OSMG that is going to replace the frayed electric wires and give it a good check up. It runs, but the wires smell hot.

Last edited by Caroline94535; 01-24-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Caroline94535 View Post
I have a darling Singer 15-91 from 1954. It's the potted motor model...
The numbers after the hyphen determine the model, so the 15-91 will always have the potted motor. Other 15-class variants are:
15-30 early
15-88 treadle
15-89 hand crank
15-90 external motor (with belt)