Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Respond if you have a Singer 15-91 >

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Respond if you have a Singer 15-91

Old 01-24-2016, 08:30 PM

Oh, ok. I've never used a treadle, lol. I'm sure they are fun to use though.
Yeah, life can be that way. It's interesting how it is. I wasn't too interested in tatting until about a year ago when I was moving away from an older sister who was gifted in it.
You're welcome. I really enjoyed looking through that book.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 PM

After I thought more about what you said and looked at the book it could be she was just putting the needle down and then started sewing all in one quick motion that to a youngster looked like a spinning start. Either way, it is a memory I have of her that makes me smile. And, you should try a treadle, they are fun to use and I miss mine even though I am enjoying my 15-91. I still have a treadle, and for about 4 yrs I used it exclusively just don't have the room right now to have both of the open for use. One day...

I have wanted to learn to tat but I really don't need to add another hobby to the long list. Besides I am not sure my wrist could take it...I had to give up knitting and crocheting because of carpal tunnel.

Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
After I thought more about what you said and looked at the book it could be she was just putting the needle down and then started sewing all in one quick motion that to a youngster looked like a spinning start. Either way, it is a memory I have of her that makes me smile. And, you should try a treadle, they are fun to use and I miss mine even though I am enjoying my 15-91. I still have a treadle, and for about 4 yrs I used it exclusively just don't have the room right now to have both of the open for use. One day...

I have wanted to learn to tat but I really don't need to add another hobby to the long list. Besides I am not sure my wrist could take it...I had to give up knitting and crocheting because of carpal tunnel.

Thanks again!
Minibarn,
Thank you for you lovely message. I'm glad you have that memory. When I was a kid I immensely enjoyed watching my mother sew. I was so little. I thought I'd never be able to operate a sewing machine, lol. I would love to try a treadle one day. But, I don't have room for one. I am sorry about your carpal tunnel. I have had many aches and pains, even though I'm just a young woman, but I don't think as bad as Carpal Tunnel, so I keep crocheting and tatting.

Margie
Old 01-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Thank you. The CP does not hinder too much, like sewing, so I am OK w/that.

Happy tatting!!!
Old 01-28-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Thank you. The CP does not hinder too much, like sewing, so I am OK w/that.

Happy tatting!!!
Best wishes for sewing!!!
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 AM

I was gifted one three yrs. ago and was so excited about using it, only to discover that it had been "robbed". There is no bobbin case, hook, or race. Down went my expectations. Ok well, I do have a lovely 15-90 in a nice cabinet that does sing well, but not so easy for FMQing.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:33 AM

I have a 15-91 in a blonde cabinet that came with its original bench seat. I store most of my beads in the bench. I think I am going to set this machine up dedicated to FMQ. It was one of my first 5 vintage machine I purchased from someone who was selling the estate items. She knew the owner (who was the original purchaser) who had just passed away. It has everything and it was all neatly arranged in the drawers. I love it just because of the history.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM

Yooper32 you should be able to find the parts you are missing on Ebay or at Sew Classic. The parts can often be found pretty cheap. It always annoys me when the slide plate is missing, but to have all the guts missing really stinks.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:40 PM

I've had mine for at least 20 years and I have a second one as well. I leaned to sew on a Universal that was a Japanese copy of the 15-90 and when I got the 91 I thought I'd gone to heaven- no more belts! I owned in between a Necchi and a cheap Singer from the early 1980's. I sew everything from my husbands Carrhart coveralls to baby quilts to dresses for my daughter. I've been making my version of Vera Bradley duffle bags lately. I've machine quilted a couple queen size quilts on it and repaired the canvass piece that goes inside our combine harvester! To say I love this machine is an understatement. I also sewed on my Grandma's featherweight-long before they became popular! And I have one too. For service I have to go to Renton- a very long way from home- to Sewing Machine Service Co. I have played around with many of the attachments and lately an enterprising saleslady got me fitted with a Brother low shank adapter foot so now I can use a variety of newer type feet.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 PM

I leave the dogs up and set the down pressure on the pressure foot to be light. Others I know lower the dogs. I also have never needed the walking foot- I have one but we don't get along!