Sacrificed the Featherweight!

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM

I'm sorry this happened. We have the same favoritism in my family with my sister. She can do no wrong and I can do no right. We have both our parents yet but when the time comes, I won't get much. Her husband will take over and tell my brothers and me what will happen. That will make some strong enemies. She may get over her anger and eventually let you have the lamp.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kas
Well, I didn't get my Mom's Featherweight. She was going to give it to me, but when I was telling my big sister about it, she asked me, "The little black one?" Yes. Then she said, "Oh! I learned to sew on that machine! I loved sewing so much!" It was obvious she wanted it and had memories of it and Mama. I have to say that my mom had just given a Tiffany lamp that I had wanted for 35 years (and been told all those years was mine) to my little sister who knew it had been promised to me earlier and took it anyway. My big sister wanted the Featherweight but wouldn't say so. I told her I didn't want her to feel what I was feeling and if she wanted it to say so. She finally admitted she would love to have it. I gave it to her joyfully. She had always wanted and loved it, I only found out about it (realized my mom's machine was a Featherweight) a couple of years ago. I can always buy a new one, she can't replace the memories. The search begins! And I am looking for one with the pretty scrolled face, not the straight lines like Mama's.
How sweet and generous of you to be sure your older sister has such loving memories. Yes you can always get a new one, and create your own memories on it. Too bad your younger sister wasn't as generous and thoughtful as you. Stars will be in your crown.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 AM

What a great sister you are. I hope you're successful in your search for the FW
Old 04-27-2011, 06:40 AM
nab

I do understand. I had three sisters. One died of ovarian cancer in November of 04 and my mom died in April of 05. They left me with the two needy sisters. They are into the possessions. To me it is just stuff. I have my memories. I know how you feel. It isn't always fair. Maybe some day you will be able to express your feelings about the lamp. Yes, you are a great sister.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:53 AM

You're such a good sister. I think that was a good decision. I am kind of glad that I don't have to worry about that kind of thing since my Mom and my Sister are both gone.

All my stuff will go to my son, who at this point in his life could care less.

You did good.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:02 AM

your a good sister
Old 04-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Forgive the little sister if you can -- the one who is hurting here is you and the lamp isn't worth it. It really IS just stuff in the long run. You might find that YOU will feel better if you can forgive her!

Pat
Old 04-27-2011, 11:00 AM

You did a good thing. Makes you feel good about yourself, doesn't it. :thumbup:
Old 04-27-2011, 07:35 PM

Nothing is worth loosing a sister over. I would give anything to have had a sister - including any of my 3 brothers! LOL When I went to clear out our parents home I told my brothers we could have fun and share lots of fond memories with each other or loose each other over "possessions". In the end we had lots of laughs and some of my favorite things are in one of my brother's homes. I seem to have ended up with all the funny looking family portraits. I hung them my laundry room.
My SIL got my Gram's treadle machine that I loved. A distant realtive talked Mom out of her full length fur coat. Mom had lost her memory. I hope the woman enjoys the coat.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Kas

Oh my. I am trying to forgive her. At least I have forgiven Mama. I didn't expect it from her. Lil sis didn't surprise me at all, sadly. Me and my big sister had some great laughs going through the huge pile to the ceiling in her old room. We cleared it out. She about pulled my arm out of the socket grabbing her old Peter Frampton poster! LOL! She had such a crush on him when she was a teenager. Funny!