Sewmagic

Old 07-10-2020, 06:34 AM

Default Sewmagic

So I picked this machine up from an auction, body is cast iron. There are absolute 0 numbers on the body and no spec tags. Trying to dig through the internet for information and I could only find 1 unit with the same name on the faceplate. Any help on a history lesson would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:36 AM

Picture please..... Not that I will be of any help when I see one. I just like to look at the older units.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:37 AM

This is the unit.
Attached Thumbnails received_278590593418634.jpeg  
Old 07-10-2020, 07:33 AM

Because of the color I would guess your machine is from the 60's. Does it run? I would try and contact someone that restores old machines for some help, or even an old sewing machine repair guy, they could probably date it for you
https://www.stillstitching.com/p/we-recommend.html
Old 07-10-2020, 11:45 AM

It's a badged machine. Most likely made in Japan in the 60's. Something about it makes me think it's a Brother. I know next to nothing on Japanese machines, but I seem to remember Cari saying a very similar one was a Brother.

In the 60's, Everyone sold sewing machines including department stores, dime stores, mail order and independent stores. There were just so many makers, most in Japan. So that companies didn't compete with the same machine in the same city, you could get your own "badge" on your machine. Often a sewing machine would be sold at Western Auto (as an example) as a "xyz" and the same machine might have been sold at Woolworths as a "def" machine and yet sold again as a "jkl" at Macy's. I had a machine that I was able to determine at was sold under 5 different names.

So, what you are looking for is a machine that looks like yours. Generally speaking, it will be exactly like yours with a different name. That's how you'll find a manual for it - by the way it looks.

Sorry, I'm no more help. I settled on Singer machines a few years back and am not so familiar with the Japanese machines.

bkay
Old 07-10-2020, 01:58 PM

https://www.stillstitching.com/p/we-recommend.html This is a great site! Thank you for posting it.
Old 07-10-2020, 02:07 PM

Pretty machine. Every time I look at one of these posts about the older machines I learn more. The vast knowledge of the folks here is amazing.
Old 07-10-2020, 06:23 PM

Welcome, b.schmitz.

In addition to what bkay said, it looks like you may have what is considered a left-homing machine. It looks like you have a straight stitch foot, but a zigzag needle plate. Do not try to zigzag with that foot on the machine. Serious bodily injury and machine part deformation could result when the needle strikes the foot and shatters.

When I am looking for info on zigzag machines I usually go to http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm

A couple of threads with similar machines can be found at Vintage Japanese 'Badged' sewing machine with fancy stitches and Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines The first one actually is for the machines that have cams or more built in stitches than zigzag and straight stitches.

I cannot tell what type of shank your machine has. It could be a low shank or a high shank. It is what is considered a class 15 machine, not to be confused with a 15 clone. It should take class 15 bobbins and 15x1 needles. I am guessing that the needle is inserted with the flat on the right and threaded from left to right.

Oh, another thing, it probably has a JA and JC with a number either stamped, cast, or printed on the bottom of the machine. If so it is possible that http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/resources.htm might be able to tell the manufacturer of the machine. I didn't see anything for "SewMagic," though.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Not affiliated with off-site link(s)