She needed a home!

Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM

Default She needed a home!

Well, I had a few minutes and stopped by one of my favorite local thrift stores....and there she was! A New Home model 702 for $35. I’d never seen her kind before and don’t know anything about her. She is in pristine condition...no nicks, scratches or dust. I don’t think she was ever used. She’s a pretty sage green. I couldn’t pass her up! I think I will name her Fiona, for my favorite movie, Shrek! This is not much info about this model on the internet. Does anyone out there have one? Or insight? Thanks.P.S. I cant figure out how to post a photo. Sorry
Old 03-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Is it a dashboard machine? Pictures need to be small, about 640 pixels at the max.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM

I saw a New Home for sale "AT a Liquor Store" just a couple of weeks ago. I think the owner might be doing his own "mini garage sale" via his business. The one he has is a brownish thing. Looks like it could be a repaint maybe. It didn't come home with me, as he wasn't there to plug it in for me.
Attached Thumbnails unknown-quality.jpg  
Old 03-09-2018, 04:24 PM

Jackie, that is the original paint job. That New Home is made by Free and will take Free bobbins, needles and attachments.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Jackie, that is the original paint job. That New Home is made by Free and will take Free bobbins, needles and attachments.
This needle & bobbin information is good to know. Thank you Cathy. I didn't bring him home with me. I do intend to find out if it works or not. I'm not willing to pay much, and frankly I don't know where I'd put him.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:51 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]590732[/ATTACH] Wish I had the bobbin winder. I don't know the model #.
Attached Thumbnails new-home-crinkle-b.jpg  
Old 03-13-2018, 06:45 PM

I'm with leonf - maybe a dashboard machine. Perhaps if you look at http://www.sewusa.com/Sewing_Machine...g_Machines.htm maybe you can find one similar to Fiona Or maybe there is one similar at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t207880.html

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yamaha_Mama View Post
Well, I had a few minutes and stopped by one of my favorite local thrift stores....and there she was! A New Home model 702 for $35. I’d never seen her kind before and don’t know anything about her. She is in pristine condition...no nicks, scratches or dust. I don’t think she was ever used. She’s a pretty sage green. I couldn’t pass her up! I think I will name her Fiona, for my favorite movie, Shrek! This is not much info about this model on the internet. Does anyone out there have one? Or insight? Thanks.P.S. I cant figure out how to post a photo. Sorry
If you do Facebook the group 'VintageSewingMachines(Non-Singer)' has more manuals than any group I've ever seen. It's quite possible they have it.

Cari
Old 03-14-2018, 02:48 AM

What’s a “dashboard” machine?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 AM

Dashboard machine - looks like a 50s-60s car's dash board - lots of chrome & knobs - unlike New Home machines pictured in this thread.

See also Needle for vintage Aldens sewing machine and like a car dashboard

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.