Shuttle New Home 1882

Old 09-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Default Shuttle New Home 1882

This is my first time winding bobbin and threading shuttle. I have watched several videos but none are like my shuttle. Any advice is appreciated.[ATTACH=CONFIG]531420[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]531421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

I would want to see a picture from the indicated angle to be sure but here is the start of what to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]531422[/ATTACH]

That is very interesting looking. the New Home I have used a flat top shuttle, your's looks curved like a White VS1 shuttle... interesting
Attached Thumbnails shuttle.jpg  
Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Thank you so much. I have very carefully loaded and threaded the shuttle. I can sew maybe 12 inches and the bobbin thread breaks???
Old 09-22-2015, 02:23 PM

Hi,

Manual from Smithsonian for early New Home:

http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect...0873/index.htm

Unfortunatly no shuttle threading diagram.

I always check the shuttle to make sure thread strips easily off the bobbin and shuttle tension good. Once in a while I get bobbins not wound well and they knot up in places every so often.

Jon
Old 09-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
... Once in a while I get bobbins not wound well and they knot up in places every so often.

Jon
x2 on this. There is a reason they were able to sell Pre-Loaded machine wound bobbins in the day! I would say that 90% of the spools I have that came wound with thread would not pass the "make sure thread strips easily off the bobbin " test for more than about a foot or two. also a great way to test the strength of the old thread..........
Old 09-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Can you take a picture of the shuttle carrier? Mine takes a bullet shuttle, and from what I found on Needlebar - the ones they show do also.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 PM

I don't know really anything about this machine, but if it is the actual shuttle that goes with your machine, I'm wondering if you have tried to turn the bobbin over so that the thread is 'facing' the other direction. After reading the instructions that Jon referred to, it kind of sounds like the thread should be coming up from the bottom near the slit that Steve pointed out - not over the top before going into the slit.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I don't know really anything about this machine, but if it is the actual shuttle that goes with your machine, I'm wondering if you have tried to turn the bobbin over so that the thread is 'facing' the other direction. After reading the instructions that Jon referred to, it kind of sounds like the thread should be coming up from the bottom near the slit that Steve pointed out - not over the top before going into the slit.

I guess you could keep flipping it over everytime it goes from one end to the other........
Old 09-23-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I guess you could keep flipping it over everytime it goes from one end to the other........
I guess I didn't word that like they do in instructions for loading the bobbins. It has instructions that seem to indicate the direction the thread unwinds from a spool or bobbin such that looking at it from one end that the thread, ribbon or whatever unwinds from the top or the bottom and the spool is moving in either a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction. Therefore it would seem to me that if you put the other end of the bobbin in the pointy end of the shuttle that it would unwind in a different direction more inline with how it feeds into the slit.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Kind of like the TP roll....over or under??