Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 101 any info appreciated >

Singer 101 any info appreciated

Singer 101 any info appreciated

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Caroline- yes I meant bath LOL

Purplefiend- the bobbin that wouldn't fit on the winder was from the machine looks just like the ones pictured above with no holes -the one from my 401A went right on the winder.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Caroline- yes I meant bath LOL

Purplefiend- the bobbin that wouldn't fit on the winder was from the machine looks just like the ones pictured above with no holes -the one from my 401A went right on the winder.
Just got back from picking up my 101. The head is still sitting in the back seat of the truck but I did go out and test the bobbins, original single hole, that came with the machine on the bobbin winder. They slipped right on. When it stops raining I will bring her in and take some more pictures.

Also, I mentioned to my OSMG that I needed a zigzag plate for the Morse 4400 that I purchased last week. He said how would you like the whole machine? Of course, you know what I said. LOL So I came home with another Morse 4400 in a case for free. He had it in his dispose of pile. Don't know if it is operational yet but who cares, I can always use it for parts if need be.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:13 PM
Power Poster

Caroline- can't wait to see what you think of the stitching on the 101- I think it is awesome

Wonder if the bobbin will slide on better once it is cleaned up a bit hhhmmmmm - Can't wait to see more of your pics
Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 PM

these machines are great, please open the bottom of the machine take the bottom plate off and check to make sure the bottom is getting oil it is a wick prosses and needs to be oiled every time you put the machine down in the cabnet , I also have one it is in a cabnet just like the one you have , on the bobbin winder is a small peice of metel that the bobbin fits on and will not wind if it dosnt slide on the right way.Dottie Bug
Old 05-22-2012, 05:49 AM
Power Poster

Dottie- the problem is the bobbin won't even slide onto the peg- I think it maybe that the "peg" is gummed up - so maybe after we give him a good bath . The bobbin I have for my 401A just slide right on- but that one must have a bigger center hole ?

So every time we drop the machine down we should oil it ? Oh- oh
Old 05-22-2012, 06:04 AM

Sharon, do you have a manual for your 101? I ordered one for mine. According to the manual if you are using the machine continuously it should be oiled every day. If not, it should be oiled every time it is used. There is one oiling hole that is especially important and it is the first one that lines up with the needle bar about 1 inch from the needle plate. Manual says that 12 drops of oil should be put in that hole each time the machine is oiled. All of the other oiling spots should receive one drop.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Yes it does have the manual with it - ***thinking to self- maybe I should have read the book instead of just digging it out and playing with it hhhhhhmmmmmm-***** will have to teach my niece all this stuff
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Here are the Pics Sharon

Picture 1, all set up in the cabinet. Cabinet will get a refurbish soon as it is rough condition.
Picture 2, She sure sews a fine stitch. The denim swatch is 6 layers, no hesitation at all.
Picture 3, my OSMG's fix for the cut wiring to the motor. It works and that is what counts.
Picture 4, wiring fix for the light. He could not fix the switch for the light because the light switch is in the one of a kind 101 casting. OK by me as long as she sews and she sews wonderfully.
Attached Thumbnails 2012-05-21-more-singer-101-005.jpg   2012-05-21-more-singer-101-008.jpg   2012-05-21-more-singer-101-009.jpg   2012-05-21-more-singer-101-010.jpg  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Oh isn't it ( is it a him or her?) pretty Don't you just love the stitch ??? I think this machine has been severally underestimated

As for the fixes- as long as it works that is all that matters - I do think the light is neat - a flip switch instead of turning it - Thanks for sharing with me
Old 05-22-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
Oh isn't it ( is it a him or her?) pretty Don't you just love the stitch ??? I think this machine has been severally underestimated

As for the fixes- as long as it works that is all that matters - I do think the light is neat - a flip switch instead of turning it - Thanks for sharing with me
It's a girl. I am calling her Carrie which was my grandmother's nickname and for whom I was named. I may even get brave and tinker with the light switch later to see if I can fix it. If not, oh well. Those lights do get hot and I find I do not use them on my electric vintage machines.