Singer 201-2

Old 07-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I don't think the 201s can be used without a case or a cabinet. Mine is burried so I can't just go take a look see, I think they have an odd number of legs.

Joe
Joe, the 201 has the 2 "cups" that it can rest on, with the 2 legs at the back. Usually one of the unstable machines will wobble about when I service it, especially on the lazy susan, but this one didn't. I think it would be stable enough to use for sewing and in fact used to use it in my universal table now that I think of it, and it was fine.

Your machine looks like it might be a Centennial? And maybe a 201-2? That's pretty much identical to the one I have in the studio.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Tammi,

Thanks for the info. I've never had mine out of the cabinet.
Yes, it's a Centennial and 201-2. I should really take a better pic of it.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Does that mean that you didn't take the caps off the gears to grease them? If it was still in the cabinet, I don't know that I could manage to get the caps off, with the placement of those screws...
Old 07-15-2014, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Does that mean that you didn't take the caps off the gears to grease them? If it was still in the cabinet, I don't know that I could manage to get the caps off, with the placement of those screws...
Well, yes I did take the caps off and yes I did grease the gears. If I remember right I sat on the floor and reached up from underneath to R&R the screws with the head tilted all the way back.

I didn't want to mess with the knee controller cord and the spring loaded thingy.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM

That's more dedication than I have! My back would have served notice!

The spring thing and the knee controller shouldn't be affected. I take machines out of their cabinets to transport them and have never had to mess with either.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:48 AM

thanks guys... I feel better. I will keep in touch with this gal... maybe if she can't sell it I will offer her $50 and see if she will take that... I am hoping my husband can do any oiling and repair that it might need. I appreciate you input a lot.

Sally
Old 07-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
That's more dedication than I have! My back would have served notice!

The spring thing and the knee controller shouldn't be affected. I take machines out of their cabinets to transport them and have never had to mess with either.
It was.

On this machine the knee controller cord passes through a rubber ringed hole in the spring loaded plate. To R&R the head I either have to remove the springy part from the cabinet, or disconnect the cord at the machine or the controller.
I undid the springy part from the cabinet when we removed the head to transport it home. I didn't want to go through all that again.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Sally,

They are not that complicated to work on. And there is an excellent tutorial from a forum member named Rain about rewiring the potted motors. So nothing is beyond the capability of someone with a modicum of ability.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by sdeaaz View Post
thanks guys... I feel better. I will keep in touch with this gal... maybe if she can't sell it I will offer her $50 and see if she will take that... I am hoping my husband can do any oiling and repair that it might need. I appreciate you input a lot.

Sally
You or your husband can do the work. Just go slowly the first time. There are so many resources on this board that can help you through. Just search for them. Some are stickied. If you get stuck with something we haven't covered, post again and we can often help too.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
It was.

On this machine the knee controller cord passes through a rubber ringed hole in the spring loaded plate. To R&R the head I either have to remove the springy part from the cabinet, or disconnect the cord at the machine or the controller.
I undid the springy part from the cabinet when we removed the head to transport it home. I didn't want to go through all that again.

Joe
This machine is set up exactly the same. I did it the other way. I hadn't brought tools with me (hadn't planned on looking at machines) and had to borrow a questionable screwdriver from the store. I just took the male connector off, removed the wires that would stay with the cabinet and brought the machine into the truck. I serviced it before I put it back in the cabinet, and while I was reassembling, I re-wired so that wouldn't be an issue anymore.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM

Are you able to tell what model a machine is by the photo.

Here is one I found.. Is it worth $50?
Attached Thumbnails 00c0c_isdqn6pm57w_600x450.jpg