Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Singer 201-3 "The Aristocrat of Sewing Machines" >

Singer 201-3 "The Aristocrat of Sewing Machines"

Singer 201-3 "The Aristocrat of Sewing Machines"

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

Thanks, Mark and Rodney. Just picked up a 201-3 in a cabinet that has the foot control and the knee control. I had heard that the 201's utilized the rotary hook (appreciate the correction) but I had never seen a 201-3 before getting this one and I know that the 201-2 has the potted motor and is direct drive but wasn't sure what the 201-3 had in common with the 201-2.
Also, would it be possible to put this 201-3 into a treadle cabinet and if so...what would be needed to do so, I'm guessing it would require changing the balance wheel to a larger spoked wheel and removing the motor and motor connection?

Last edited by treborterb; 05-20-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Just found this forum and registered because I am looking for a loving home for a Wittenberge 201-3. It is perhaps even more unusual in that the stitch length is in millimeters, not inches, so its likely made for a european audience. My understanding is that it is pretty rare and I would love to see it in the hands of someone who can appreciate it. Anyone local to the NYC area that is interested, please let me know. I'd hate to see an unusual machine that was loved enough to be dragged to the new world go totally unappreciated.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:29 PM

I have a challenge with my 201-3 and I need some guidance. I bought a cabinet and this model Singer machine was in it -- the machine was not in working order but I cleaned it up, lubricated it and got it working. But I have a sewing problem with it. Each time I sew the upper thread gets stuck in the bottom beneath the chrome cover plate -- in the hole that the needle descends through. I don't think there is any problem with the bobbin or the thread coming from it. But the upper thread gets stuck and all twisted up beneath even though the machine actually sews and the stitches -- or at least most of them -- are fine. I then have to remove the cover plate, rotate the wheel and then the stuck thread releases. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of the problem and what I might do to address it? Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by barnes5 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions as to the cause of the problem and what I might do to address it? Thanks.
Firstly, I assume you have it threaded correctly, that the needle is in correctly (flat side left) and that you are threading right to left. Skipping stitches is the strongest sign of threading the needle from the wrong direction.
Given that you have, did you remove the bobbin case and clean out the dirt and possibly thread from underneath? If you have, have you checked the hook timing? If you have (and to be honest I've never seen a 201 with incorrect hook timing) have you checked the thread tension? With the presser foot down pull the top thread. It should deflect the needle before the thread moves (but not break it). The bottom thread, when pulled, should always have less tension than the top thread.
Your problem sounds like there is no pressure from the tension discs at the top. Without any tension at the top, the bobbin thread pulls the top thread underneath the needle plate (also called the slide plate).
Old 10-31-2015, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Firstly, I assume you have it threaded correctly, that the needle is in correctly (flat side left) and that you are threading right to left. Skipping stitches is the strongest sign of threading the needle from the wrong direction.
Given that you have, did you remove the bobbin case and clean out the dirt and possibly thread from underneath? If you have, have you checked the hook timing? If you have (and to be honest I've never seen a 201 with incorrect hook timing) have you checked the thread tension? With the presser foot down pull the top thread. It should deflect the needle before the thread moves (but not break it). The bottom thread, when pulled, should always have less tension than the top thread.
Your problem sounds like there is no pressure from the tension discs at the top. Without any tension at the top, the bobbin thread pulls the top thread underneath the needle plate (also called the slide plate).
Thanks -- I did clean out the bobbin case and it is threaded right to left, but I will double check the needle and the tension on the thread. Thanks.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barnes5 View Post
Thanks -- I did clean out the bobbin case and it is threaded right to left, but I will double check the needle and the tension on the thread. Thanks.
Be sure when you thread the machine you do it with the presser foot UP. If you have the foot down when you thread the machine the thread won't get all the way into the upper tension discs. Also, hold on to your thread tails for the first few stitches. If you don't, thread nests underneath like you've described are common happenings.

Cari
Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 AM

The problem seems to be solved -- the culprit was a burr in the needle plate hole. I was able to file that down and now the machine is sewing properly. Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions and responses.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:03 PM

Wow, that's a great deal. Enjoy it.