Singer 221 Featherweight

Old 08-27-2014, 05:03 AM

I overheard a conversation at a local quilt store between a customer and the owner who was doing as an owner should, i guess, and pressing the woman to buy a FW from him for $700 or a lesser model for $500. I really wanted to run up to her and whisper in her ear that with a little patience and some searching she would do WAYYYYY better than that. I did.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:05 AM

Interesting, I have one that I tried to sell at our garage sale this year....not one bite.....so it still sits in its case in the corner...not my cuppa tea
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by WvHmmngbrd View Post
I have been bidding, and NOT winning, on a number of Singer Featherweights on Ebay recently. Not unusual, I know. But I have noticed that the same bidder is winning all the time. This same person, you can tell because they get the same i***i (957) on every winning bid, has been buying up almost all the featherweights out there. Anyone know what is going on? Anyone know of a better way to find a featherweight since Ebay is now not an option?
Hi, I have never posted on this site , and I am not sure if it is corrupted or not because it acts like it might be....
at any rate I have a couple of featherweights that I am willing to part with. Having said that, I got my first
featherweight on Ebay , and I agree about it just not being an option. I live on the west coast, and I find the
that the interest in the featherweight has softened. If you really are set on getting a featherweight though, just
keep looking , searcing sites like craigslist and your local thrift, antique stores, quilting groups etc. I would have
to charge way to much for shipping to send you one of mine , because I live in Canada. Anyway you do want to
actually sit down and sew on an antique machine, and carefully inspect the wiring etc.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM

I bought both my FW's and my 301 on local Craig's list.
All three in mint condition with all the attachments and all work like charms.
The prices were within the general asking price of other with the exception of the 301, I payed more but am really happy because it is in such good condition including the case!
Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM

Where did you find a bobbin casw for your FW? Is it an original part? I hear the generic ones will not work on the 221
Old 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM

Check the Goodwill website. I have seen them there. Also, there is a yahoo group for FWs. You could try there.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Power Poster

With Goodwill you never know if you are getting a good one or a horrible mess.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by royllsister View Post
Where did you find a bobbin casw for your FW? Is it an original part? I hear the generic ones will not work on the 221
Like most reproduction parts, there are good ones and bad ones. Same with original parts. Sometimes they are just worn out. I've never heard of someone buying a bad part from Jenny at Sew Classic.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 03:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
With Goodwill you never know if you are getting a good one or a horrible mess.
True. What surprises me is the sheer number of FWs that are donated to Goodwill.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM

I have 5 FWs and love them. I bought my first one at an auction. I've gotten one off Craigslist and the other 3 were purchased at estate sales. I can't seem to resist when the price is $100 or less. I know I can get them to working as long as the hand wheel turns and the needle goes up and down. There are lots of FWs out there.... patience is the key.